U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 2,875 times

Advertisements

I purchased and had installed a 3-ton condenser june of 2013 for $2,378.00. The condenser coil already needs to be replaced and the r-22 refrigerant recovered to the tune of $1,200.00. Apparently the refrigerant was only under warranty for 30 days. Does this seem right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 07:29 PM

9,557 posts, read 12,496,958 times
NO, contact the manufacture directly with your serial number and have them intervene with the local company.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:56 PM

29,562 posts, read 64,062,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvette de view View Post
I purchased and had installed a 3-ton condenser june of 2013 for $2,378.00.
The condenser coil already needs to be replaced ...
How about the EVAPORATOR coil now needs replacing?

Quote:
...and the r-22 refrigerant recovered to the tune of $1,200.00.
Does this seem right?
If the coil is bad you've probably lost the R22

If the coil in the condensing unit (OUTSIDE) has a fault this soon...
it's more likely to be cause by something outside the system (not internally).

hth

Old 03-27-2015, 11:35 AM

I am trying to get hold of the manufacturer but was told I cannot speak to them (Payne) directly. I have to go through Customer Carrier. I am working on getting the serial number. It is my rental and I am not on site. Yes, I have lost the R22. I'm not certain if the cause is external, not internal. The proposal says materials will include: Removal and installation of 1 new condenser coil (in warranty) for Payne 3-ton condenser. Recovery of R-22 Refrigerant, soldering material, flush of system with F-11 flush kit, evacuation of system with vacuum pump, balance charge of system with 7lbs. r-22 refrigerant. Replace existing air filter. I find it interesting that I cannot talk to the manufacturer directly. This does not seem right to me.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
It is my rental and I am not on site.
I'm not certain if the cause is external, not internal.
Pictures?

Quote:
The proposal says materials will include:
Removal and installation of 1 new condenser coil (in warranty) for Payne 3-ton condenser.
Recovery of R-22 Refrigerant (if any remains), soldering material, flush of system with F-11 flush kit, evacuation of system with vacuum pump, balance charge of system with 7lbs. r-22 refrigerant.

This does not seem right to me.
I'd be more concerned with WHY or HOW the damage happened.

As to the costs... R22 is a VERY expensive proposition today.
Remember when you had this done and they suggested you upgrade to
R410 but you declined because you didn't want to do the evap coil too?
(and have to capitalize vs deduct the condernser only change out)

Old 03-27-2015, 12:13 PM

I just talked to my tenant. He said when the "guy" came to look at he said the it was not soldered properly when the copper pipe was put together at the manufacturers. It is an internal problem, and their error. I'm not certain how to prove this.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I just talked to my tenant.
...said the it was not soldered properly

It is an internal problem, and their error.
I'm not certain how to prove this.
Doesn't matter really as the factory/dealer are replacing the unit under warranty.
Your issue is limited to the supplemental charges for the freon work...
which might be padded some to cover labor costs the warranty work doesn't.

Settling THAT aspect (relative to the cause) is valid but still subject to what the warranty says.

But given the he said:she said run around so far I'd suggest calling the Attorney Generals
office in your state and discussing it with THEIR consumer complaint staff.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:10 PM

Thanks,
I'll keep you informed. I was able to get hold of the manufacturer and they will let me know in 2-3 working days wha

Your advice has been very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products