U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2015, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Venice, FL
1,707 posts, read 1,205,159 times
Reputation: 2719

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Amazon is no longer cheap. They collect sales tax and their prices are neither the best. Lightening deals are mostly junk.
I don't buy indiscriminately from any place without price shopping. But I also factor in the wonderful convenience of choosing from many products, instead of the perhaps 5 or 6 available in a local store. Plus I don't have to use my car and gas to go out, or subject myself to the crazy snowbird drivers around here during "the season".

I don't even look at the Lightning deals any more...I agree with you on that, but about 5 years ago we got a fantastic price on a lightning deal on a Dell laptop for my husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2015, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Venice, FL
1,707 posts, read 1,205,159 times
Reputation: 2719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Go ahead and buy all your stuff online. Put the moms and pops and even the brick and mortars out of business.
Once they're gone, Amazon will drop their quality and raise their prices.
Why not?
There will be no competition, so they can do what they want.

i don't know why people want to always compare online shopping against local stores. It's not a fair comparison. A local store can't possible offer the broad selection, but am I supposed to limit myself to buying only the few products they choose to offer, just to help them feed their kids?

If a local business has something I want to buy, and it's a fair price, I'll buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 02:11 PM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: City Data Land
15,460 posts, read 8,962,852 times
Reputation: 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I spend a good bit at Amazon. I've been a customer since the river was on their website and they billed themselves correctly as the world's largest bookstore. I doubt that Amazon will ever have a facility in Wyoming so I should be OK on sales tax.

I've been buying pet food almost exclusively on Amazon for about six years. They're doing way better on dented cans than they did in the past. However, I've had two badly torn bags of dried dog food which I only buy every three to four months. I buy many food products that I can't buy any other way as well as just about anything else you can name except clothing. I noticed that there are some products which no longer show the Subscribe and Save option, but I am still able to buy them this way since I've been buying them. I hope that Amazon isn't going to phase out this program.

After a couple of shipping problems with Prime I decided not to renew it. They have twice shipped orders at slower speeds. The first time I called customer service I received an extra month of Prime. The second time, however, I reached India. They weren't even apologetic. I hope that this is not the harbinger of a coming storm. This is the first time that I've been really disappointed in Amazon. I never did use Prime for music or movies and the books available for loan on Kindle are seldom of interest.

I've heard of Chewy.com and plan to give it a try for cat litter. If I buy four 35# buckets it will qualify for free shipping and I'll save some money. It will also appear as if by magic right at my front door.
Chewy is the BEST. I can't emphasize that enough. I used them to autoship dog food for my two Great Danes for years. The only reason I don't buy from them anymore is I switched my dogs to a different food from Tractor Supply and they are more expensive with the new food. I price compared all over brick and mortar stores and the internet, and not only are they cheapest on price on the majority of everything, but you have no shipping charges on orders over $49 and their customer service is top notch. No automated system nonsense or reps from foreign countries who don't understand English.

I used to buy tons of items from Amazon with Prime, but their silly Add-On and Pantry Programs have made it not worth the membership fee, and I don't like getting nickel and dimed with sales tax on the free shipping eligible items.

I really like ebay. It has improved by leaps and bounds over the last decade. The sellers are so much faster and more reliable. I can get stuff delivered from overseas in less than two weeks, and ebay nearly always beats Amazon's prices on everything I'm looking for.

I buy used books from Abe Books. They have a larger selection than any other online bookseller, and function as a website for many independent booksellers. Most of the time, their books are cheaper than any other site, and they have millions.

I do not buy clothing online. I tried that for a while and got tired of having to return most all of it by mail. Trying things on in person is much easier for me, probably because I'm petite.

Lastly, I buy used furniture and used gym equipment on Craigslist. Craigslist is a valuable asset if you are selective with your purchases there. I don't recommend that venue when looking for roommates, real estate, or cars, but I got some beautiful pieces of furniture from that site. My latest acquisition was a solid oak chest of drawers and matching dresser with built in jewelry box in perfect condition for just $250. It probably would have cost me 5x that at a furniture store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,783 posts, read 11,260,384 times
Reputation: 19764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Go ahead and buy all your stuff online. Put the moms and pops and even the brick and mortars out of business.
Once they're gone, Amazon will drop their quality and raise their prices.
Why not?
There will be no competition, so they can do what they want.
Amazon already has thousands of competitors. They list many of them on their own website. I save hundreds every year this way especially on books.

Amazon has always carried low quality merchandise because that's what some people want. They carry high quality merchandise as well for people who demand the best.

The most remote locations in America today have more competition than NYC had twenty years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Chewy is the BEST. I can't emphasize that enough. I used them to autoship dog food for my two Great Danes for years. The only reason I don't buy from them anymore is I switched my dogs to a different food from Tractor Supply and they are more expensive with the new food. I price compared all over brick and mortar stores and the internet, and not only are they cheapest on price on the majority of everything, but you have no shipping charges on orders over $49 and their customer service is top notch. No automated system nonsense or reps from foreign countries who don't understand English.

I used to buy tons of items from Amazon with Prime, but their silly Add-On and Pantry Programs have made it not worth the membership fee, and I don't like getting nickel and dimed with sales tax on the free shipping eligible items.

I really like ebay. It has improved by leaps and bounds over the last decade. The sellers are so much faster and more reliable. I can get stuff delivered from overseas in less than two weeks, and ebay nearly always beats Amazon's prices on everything I'm looking for.

I buy used books from Abe Books. They have a larger selection than any other online bookseller, and function as a website for many independent booksellers. Most of the time, their books are cheaper than any other site, and they have millions.

I do not buy clothing online. I tried that for a while and got tired of having to return most all of it by mail. Trying things on in person is much easier for me, probably because I'm petite.

Lastly, I buy used furniture and used gym equipment on Craigslist. Craigslist is a valuable asset if you are selective with your purchases there. I don't recommend that venue when looking for roommates, real estate, or cars, but I got some beautiful pieces of furniture from that site. My latest acquisition was a solid oak chest of drawers and matching dresser with built in jewelry box in perfect condition for just $250. It probably would have cost me 5x that at a furniture store.
I just wait until I have enough for a $45 order on Amazon; I buy Add-On items with no problems or higher costs. Amazon doesn't want to charge you sales tax; that's the fault of the goverment thieves.

I've encountered many sellers who are on both Amazon and ebay; some are on other market sites as well. I often buy from ebay. However, I wish they would have a fifteen minute rule on their auctions. A fifteen minute rule means that an auction is extended fifteen minutes at the end if any bids are received in the final fifteen minutes. It's better for both buyers and sellers.

Neither Amazon nor any other seller is perfect, but we're not limited to one seller. I believe that the Sleeping Giant is Walmart. Can you imagine those two in a price war?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 08:51 PM
 
3,970 posts, read 2,356,803 times
Reputation: 4407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Go ahead and buy all your stuff online. Put the moms and pops and even the brick and mortars out of business.
Once they're gone, Amazon will drop their quality and raise their prices.
Why not?
There will be no competition, so they can do what they want.
That's exactly what Walmart did. Even Home Depot to an extent. I drive right by Home Depot to a local Ace Hardware when I need hardware store stuff. Even got a few bins from them this year, it's just easier to navigate and I love the store. They've been around over 100 years and are one of 3 hardware stores to survive Home Depot coming to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 10:24 PM
 
185 posts, read 144,466 times
Reputation: 220
Amazon.com :-) All of the time. Alllll theeee timmmmeee. I shop here for nearly everything.

This for fun --> I Heart Guts Plush Organs &ndash; I Heart Guts <-- luv this! If you need plush organs, yep! It's cute!

Newegg for my digital stuff. But, I still tend to buy from Amazon anyways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 12:01 AM
 
13,233 posts, read 15,721,867 times
Reputation: 15772
It seems like you almost have to shop online these days because there is so much that actual stores don't keep in stock anymore. I guess it's too expensive to carry an inventory?

But I'm not as happy with Amazon as I used to be. When it was JUST Amazon selling, I think it was great. Now when you have other sellers and "fulfilled by Amazon" I think sometimes you get ripped off. I have questioned before whether stuff I ordered that was supposed to be new wasn't really new. Sometimes it seems repackaged or something. I got some flea and tick medicine (Frontline) there that had different packaging than normal and seemed like the vials had been refilled and they were kind of leaky. Won't order that from Amazon anymore. And I ordered some perfume from Amazon that I usually get at Macy's. The package was a little different and the lid was different. I don't think it was the real deal. Since then I just go buy it at Macy's so I know I am getting the genuine product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
18,842 posts, read 11,870,759 times
Reputation: 39716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I support businesses that give me the best deal. Bye-bye, mon and pop predator stores.

The problem with people like you is that you confuse "best deal" with "value". You might get a cheaper price on line, but all you get is an item in a box, no one who is there to tell you how to properly use it, no one to tell you what part you actually need, and a lot more hassle if you need to return it.

We found out how "predatory" Moms and Pop stores were when we started shopping at places like WalMart. Yep, we sure got cheaper prices, but that is ALL we got. Go into any WM and look for an Associate to help you, and if you do actually find a human being, ask them some specific questions about what you are wanting to buy and how to use it.

Years ago Sears was a wonderful company. I would go in there and find an employee in any department who knew their products and who could help me with my purchases. If I was going to repair my sink at home there was a person in plumbing who knew how to do it and who was happy to show me the right way.

Then it changed. They went to prepackaged items, to compete, and their quality went down hill. I knew we were in trouble when I went in to buy a plumbing item and, when I asked the man in that dept for help, he said "I really don't know, I was in the shoe dept until yesterday !"

So keep buying your cheap online products and pretty soon you will be wishing you had a Mom and Pop store nearby who could help you when you have a problem !

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 03:38 PM
 
185 posts, read 144,466 times
Reputation: 220
Speaking of local businesses, yeah, it will hurt you in the end if you only shop to score an item at the cheapest price. Reason? Don't you see all of these big giant companies merging? When you lose competitors, you're left with a smaller selection. What do you think happens next? If you're the only shop? You can charge whatever you want! Service doesn't matter so much when you're the only place in town. The best places to shop are those that have a huge incentive to build and maintain a good reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 12:08 PM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: City Data Land
15,460 posts, read 8,962,852 times
Reputation: 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It seems like you almost have to shop online these days because there is so much that actual stores don't keep in stock anymore. I guess it's too expensive to carry an inventory?

But I'm not as happy with Amazon as I used to be. When it was JUST Amazon selling, I think it was great. Now when you have other sellers and "fulfilled by Amazon" I think sometimes you get ripped off. I have questioned before whether stuff I ordered that was supposed to be new wasn't really new. Sometimes it seems repackaged or something. I got some flea and tick medicine (Frontline) there that had different packaging than normal and seemed like the vials had been refilled and they were kind of leaky. Won't order that from Amazon anymore. And I ordered some perfume from Amazon that I usually get at Macy's. The package was a little different and the lid was different. I don't think it was the real deal. Since then I just go buy it at Macy's so I know I am getting the genuine product.
Then it wasn't our imagination after all! I'm glad you mentioned that. We had a very similar experience with Amazon. My fiancee bought two of her nephews each a Nerf gun that shoots those foam balls through a tube chamber for Christmas last year. The first Nerf gun came in the original Nerf packaging and was a authentic new item. The second one came in a plain, unlabeled cardboard box. She didn't even know what it was until she opened it. When she did, she noticed that even though it was a Nerf gun, it looked like it had been used, returned, then repackaged in this generic packaging. It was very weird. She was angry because she had paid for a new one.

She called cs and arranged for an exchange, insisting on another Nerf gun in authentic packaging. (It was a gift, after all). She received another one in the same generic cardboard box! She was really mad then and just sent the second one back for a refund. Amazon's products and cs seems to have slipped somewhat in the past couple of years, in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top