U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2015, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Southern New Hampshire
7,443 posts, read 13,075,956 times
Reputation: 23094

Advertisements

Again, I ask: Texdav, what did you mean by this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The main thing about amazon is their what I call make good policy even with the sellers. But even prime often ups the price if you look carefully. You paid for two day once shipped and yet you pay a higher price than just the average even on their site. They add to prime order cost if you look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Texdav, can you clarify what you meant? I shop at amazon all the time (I have prime), and I have no idea what you mean. I've never been charged for 2-day shipping when the seller is amazon or "fulfilled by amazon." What do you mean they "up the price"?
Unfortunately there is no link to send Texdav a message (as there is with most people on C-D), nor can I post a notes in his profile as it's only accessible to friends. If anyone else understands what he meant, can you please enlighten the rest of us? It makes no sense to me at all. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2015, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in USA
602 posts, read 516,580 times
Reputation: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Again, I ask: Texdav, what did you mean by this?





Unfortunately there is no link to send Texdav a message (as there is with most people on C-D), nor can I post a notes in his profile as it's only accessible to friends. If anyone else understands what he meant, can you please enlighten the rest of us? It makes no sense to me at all. Thanks.
I think what he is trying to convey is that Amazon prime cost of $99/yr ...the things that you purchased already factored the cost of shipping into it. For instance, a toy is sold for $10.99 and it's marked as Prime shipping, as in you already paid for shipping cost.

The Prime service is of helpful to you if you are a business owner who buys a lot more stuff. The prime service is helpful for you if you're a regular consumer also, because there are other services that you can use such as free music streaming, amazon videos and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2015, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Southern New Hampshire
7,443 posts, read 13,075,956 times
Reputation: 23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
I think what he is trying to convey is that Amazon prime cost of $99/yr ...the things that you purchased already factored the cost of shipping into it. For instance, a toy is sold for $10.99 and it's marked as Prime shipping, as in you already paid for shipping cost.
Maybe that's what he meant ... although saying they "up the price if you look carefully" or "they add to prime order cost if you look" doesn't sound like that to me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
The Prime service is of helpful to you if you are a business owner who buys a lot more stuff. The prime service is helpful for you if you're a regular consumer also, because there are other services that you can use such as free music streaming, amazon videos and so forth.
Yes, exactly -- I order a LOT from amazon, including many heavy items, so for me the yearly cost (about $8 a month) is worth it. I also like the free prime videos although their prime selection isn't great.

Thanks for trying to interpret his words for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 08:05 PM
 
1,683 posts, read 685,201 times
Reputation: 1523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I just wait until I have enough for a $45 order on Amazon; I buy Add-On items with no problems or higher costs. Amazon doesn't want to charge you sales tax; that's the fault of the goverment...
It's not really the fault of government. State governments have limited power and cannot apply their laws on companies outside the state. You wouldn't want that to change.

However, since sales tax is a tax payed by the consumer, you are responsible for paying it whether Amazon collects it or not. I understand that there are criminals that will evade taxes but there's always going to be criminals and they aren't going to follow the law. The government can't stop all criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 01:11 AM
 
2 posts, read 843 times
Reputation: 10
Well I my favorite eBay .very simple thing I never buy from amazon. Thatsit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 04:42 AM
 
10,702 posts, read 9,660,550 times
Reputation: 16516
One thing I've noticed about Amazon is that they are taking longer to prepare and ship an item. Used to be that they'd ship an item the day after I placed the order, or at least within two days. However, recently I've found that it's taking them three to four days to get an item out the door (and these are items supposedly in their stock).

These are items wherein I selected the 'normal' shipping method, not the more expensive method.

My last order, after three days it showed the item was 'shipping today'; however, the next day they revised it to show that the item was being prepared for shipment. I talked with customer service and they couldn't explain it, just kept telling me, in a very hard to understand foreign language, "I am very sorry for the inconvenience...".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in USA
602 posts, read 516,580 times
Reputation: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
One thing I've noticed about Amazon is that they are taking longer to prepare and ship an item. Used to be that they'd ship an item the day after I placed the order, or at least within two days. However, recently I've found that it's taking them three to four days to get an item out the door (and these are items supposedly in their stock).

These are items wherein I selected the 'normal' shipping method, not the more expensive method.

My last order, after three days it showed the item was 'shipping today'; however, the next day they revised it to show that the item was being prepared for shipment. I talked with customer service and they couldn't explain it, just kept telling me, in a very hard to understand foreign language, "I am very sorry for the inconvenience...".
It could up to the supplier or the folks o facilitate it didn't update the system properly. It could just be due to the items that you ordered are processed differently. I have no issues with it. Also, "Normal" shipping process takes much longer than any higher up one which costs a little more. If you order a lot or at least a few times a month, I would suggest go for their Prime Service. It's actually worth it. It's more like Costco or BJ memberships pretty much; the difference is instead of getting discounts you're getting items shipped for much less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 09:24 AM
 
3,969 posts, read 2,355,715 times
Reputation: 4402
I have noticed the long prep times on a few items, but I always get them within a week so it's not a big deal. I always pick the free shipping option and usually get things 2 days after placing the order so Prime would be a waste for me. Most of my items arrive before they are scheduled to. I'm pretty impressed with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 03:13 PM
 
10,702 posts, read 9,660,550 times
Reputation: 16516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
It could up to the supplier or the folks o facilitate it didn't update the system properly. It could just be due to the items that you ordered are processed differently. I have no issues with it. Also, "Normal" shipping process takes much longer than any higher up one which costs a little more. If you order a lot or at least a few times a month, I would suggest go for their Prime Service. It's actually worth it. It's more like Costco or BJ memberships pretty much; the difference is instead of getting discounts you're getting items shipped for much less.
Thanks for the advice! I'll check into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2015, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Fayetteville
1,205 posts, read 2,352,465 times
Reputation: 2596
Amazon prime shipping can be awesome when I order on a Sunday or Monday but it can be annoying when I want something on a Thursday afternoon and I can't get it until Tuesday. I've noticed some of the prime stuff not shipping immediately lately too. If you want the best deal you really just have to pay attention to what you are doing.

But I give Amazon preference when I can, getting packages in 2 days is fun and I like going through smile (I support the River Valley Equality Center).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:52 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top