U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 12:59 AM

881 posts, read 933,043 times

Advertisements

The first one I can remember is from Sunoco Gas Station.
If you looked at their sign it showed the usual three grades of gas, regular, mid grade and high test.
If you looked closer you could see it actually said Economy, Regular, etc.
The Economy price was lower than competing stations' regular price, their regular price was much higher.
So... people pulled up to the pump and ordered regular and ended up paying much more!
This was back before most stations were self serve, I thought it was a sneaky trick that took advantage of people.

I saw one a few days ago at a 7-11 store. It had a sign in front of a freezer full of ice cream. The sale was 2 for about $1.00 less. You had to look closely because it only covered two specific flavors!

Comedian Bill Hicks used to do a bit where he said "Who here is in advertising?" "....Kill yourself"
It's pretty funny, but I see his point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:01 AM

11,121 posts, read 14,796,603 times
People can't be bothered to read what's in front of their eyes. Happens all the time.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:42 AM

20,521 posts, read 20,511,864 times
I don't consider the ice cream example as very misleading but I'll tell you what irks me are the big announcements, usually in a printed ad, for X% off, "EVEN SALE ITEMS", etc etc.
Then, as opposed to your ice cream example, in print so small you have to squint to read it, there's a long list of excluded items and/or brands that may constitute a large segment of the stores items.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:36 AM

881 posts, read 933,043 times
I thought the ice cream example was kind of sleazy.
Imagine four to five shelves with different flavors. Attached to the middle shelf is the sale sign.
It appears that ANY two are on sale, you have to read the fine print to see it is only 2 specific ones.

I think most people wouldn't notice they didn't get the sale price if they were buying multiple items.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:16 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,426,572 times
The ad was not misleading. You said it clearly stated the terms. If people are too lazy to read the ad, then it is their fault if they pay more.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:31 AM

7,236 posts, read 3,972,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The ad was not misleading. You said it clearly stated the terms. If people are too lazy to read the ad, then it is their fault if they pay more.

Can't say in this specific case, but yes many ads are intended to be misleading. To basically lie by omission so they can claim they weren't lying. Having a big 2 for 1 ad, then in some micro print, crammed amongst so many words it can't be read, are all the exceptions. So yes, technically it's there, but practically it's not. When I came up that was called quibbling which was considered worse than lying because the same intent was there all along. That's what lawyers and politicians do and why they are among the least respected groups in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products