U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 04:45 PM

115 posts, read 107,752 times

Advertisements

I am so sick of prescription drug ads - 3-4 pages in magazines of small print disclaimers taking up half my magazine and then again on TV - it is almost funny if it wasn't so annoying-

We have wonderful new drugs here for you to try out - but talk to your doctor because this can cause stroke or death but otherwise - make sure you tell your Doctor you want some of this (hurry before the FDA recalls it).

Seriously - why are they even allowed to market these prescription drugs to people directly? As though people are going to clamor to the Doctors asking for these drugs like they're buying tomatoes at the supermarket.

Anybody else bugged by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 05:46 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,426,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatingforabuck View Post

Seriously - why are they even allowed to market these prescription drugs to people directly? As though people are going to clamor to the Doctors asking for these drugs like they're buying tomatoes at the supermarket.
That is exactly what happens.
And as long as people respond positively to the ads, the ads will continue.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 PM

39,870 posts, read 57,694,079 times
Lots of people believe everything they read. They WANT the magical cure: the 20 lb weight loss in a week, the feel good pill etc. They will go to the doctors and DEMAND the wonder pill. You know who is going to make big $$$ on people's stupidity, right?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:04 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,006,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Lots of people believe everything they read. They WANT the magical cure: the 20 lb weight loss in a week, the feel good pill etc. They will go to the doctors and DEMAND the wonder pill. You know who is going to make big $$$ on people's stupidity, right?
I've taken a nutrition class in college and a good deal of that was dedicated to obesity and weight loss. You are absolutely correct, there is no "magical cure" for weight loss. While diets and pills may advertise claims like "lose 5 pounds in your first week" only one or two, if even that, of those pounds are fat. The rest is mostly water, which you'll gain right back after that week.

The only way to truly lose weight and keep it off is to make lifestyle changes, which include exercise and eating right.

As for being tired of prescription ads, absolutely. I always think in the back of my mind when I see a new drug advertised for the first few times that in a few years we'll be seeing lawyer commercials advertising "did you take (insert drug's name here) and suffer from (insert horrible side effect here)? If so, call us now!"

Old 04-28-2015, 03:54 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,117,677 times
Tired of hearing those commercials? Ask your doctor about "Blokad." Effective when used as prescribed. One pill twice a day stops your ability to hear pharmaceutical commercials. Side effects include hallucinations, voices in your head shouting "Shut Up!," a uncontrollable urge to smash the television, and suicide.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:56 PM

2,852 posts, read 978,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatingforabuck View Post
I am so sick of prescription drug ads - 3-4 pages in magazines of small print disclaimers taking up half my magazine and then again on TV - it is almost funny if it wasn't so annoying-

We have wonderful new drugs here for you to try out - but talk to your doctor because this can cause stroke or death but otherwise - make sure you tell your Doctor you want some of this (hurry before the FDA recalls it).

Anybody else bugged by this?
Here's what I find 'funny' about these ads...
Listen to the side effects of some of these drugs. There's a drug for toe nail fungus that has like 10-12 side effects... Soreness at the site, ingrown toenails, high blood pressure, headaches, upset stomach, just to name a few... the dang side effects make you sicker than what you're using these meds for to cure!

Old 04-28-2015, 06:03 PM

11,605 posts, read 20,763,655 times
I'm sure it's been (and being) discussed in the TV Forum

Old 04-28-2015, 06:19 PM

5,090 posts, read 5,221,551 times
I get pretty disgusted during dinner when the newscast is advertising boner pills.

And why are they always in separate bath tubs?

Old 04-28-2015, 06:35 PM

5,433 posts, read 10,042,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I get pretty disgusted during dinner when the newscast is advertising boner pills.

And why are they always in separate bath tubs?
Maybe to give the viewer the idea that the pill was successful and he can reach??

Old 04-29-2015, 06:19 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,662,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Here's what I find 'funny' about these ads...
Listen to the side effects of some of these drugs. There's a drug for toe nail fungus that has like 10-12 side effects... Soreness at the site, ingrown toenails, high blood pressure, headaches, upset stomach, just to name a few... the dang side effects make you sicker than what you're using these meds for to cure!
Exactly! The speech regarding the side effects is the longest portion of the commercial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or