U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:33 PM

12,242 posts, read 8,647,369 times

Advertisements

Ebay used to be very balanced between the buyer and seller but now they seem to lean in favor of the buyer. It doesn't make sense because to me you need both to make it work.

I have been buying and selling mostly large scale trains since 2006, most of which are preowned and I have only had a few problems. I guess I'm lucky. Lately I haven't been selling as much as I used to due to the crazy fees involved and out of the fear of something happening like the OP is dealing with.

Why do people insist on wrecking what was once a good thing and I'm not only talking Ebay.

Good luck Ty0604. I say keep trying to appeal to Ebay until you get the answer you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 05:39 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,740,074 times
There's really nothing you can do if you're dealing with a determined scammer. It's your word against his. You claim you shipped the right / undamaged item; he claims he got a wrong or damaged item, or sometimes that he got a brick instead. Photos don't prove anything, you can photograph one thing and send another, neither eBay, nor PayPal, nor USPS will accept your photos or videos as evidence. Lawyers can't do anything, either - if it worked for someone, they got lucky and had a timid scammer, otherwise he'd just tell the lawyer to go pound sand, a lawsuit would be very expensive and most likely would be unwinnable by the seller, for the same exact reason - your word against his. Filing a police report may help if there's been many other similar reports against the same guy, although this is again not really a direct evidence and it's unlikely the police would do much, plus he might just as easily file a report against you claiming you scammed him. The buyer has three avenues to pursue a refund - eBay, PayPal, and their credit card (if they used it to pay via PayPal). The seller is at the mercy of all three. Chances are at least one of them will side with the buyer, and often it's all three. This is why I am extremely hesitant to sell any big ticket items on eBay. I like photography and read / heard of plenty of stories when people used eBay as free rental - they'd buy an expensive lens, use it for a week, then file a claim that it was not as described, and most of the time would get a refund.

Last edited by Ummagumma; 05-07-2015 at 05:53 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 07:19 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,993,779 times
Ty0604, I'm assuming for an $800 item you got signature confirmation, right?
Did you happen to take a picture of the serial numbers? This will help identify it too.
It sounds like you have a good case for mail fraud, which is a federal offense. If you haven't already - file a police report.
You can also file a complaint here: Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home

Sorry this happened to you. It's becoming more prevalent as scammers learn that eBay will side with the buyer on most cases. I am a seller, but won't touch electronics with a 10 foot pole. It appears to be the highest fraud category on ebay. Specifically, mobile devices and laptops.

And it's not just eBay, this happens at Amazon too. The community calls these scammers 'Liar Buyers'. PayPal Researchers Say Buyer Fraud Is Common

Lets hope the new incoming CEO, Devin Wenig will address this, and put some measures in place so their core sellers will not continue to be ripped off. Here is a recent article outlining his vision and he appears to be more focused on the small to medium seller.

I'm interested to see how this plays out if you go ahead and try and recover your money or your stolen laptop. Let us know what happens, OK?

Old 05-08-2015, 08:40 PM

105 posts, read 446,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNan View Post
Did you happen to take a picture of the serial numbers? This will help identify it too.
It sounds like you have a good case for mail fraud, which is a federal offense. If you haven't already - file a police report.
You can also file a complaint here: Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home

Sorry this happened to you. It's becoming more prevalent as scammers learn that eBay will side with the buyer on most cases. I am a seller, but won't touch electronics with a 10 foot pole. It appears to be the highest fraud category on ebay. Specifically, mobile devices and laptops.

And it's not just eBay, this happens at Amazon too. The community calls these scammers 'Liar Buyers'. PayPal Researchers Say Buyer Fraud Is Common

Lets hope the new incoming CEO, Devin Wenig will address this, and put some measures in place so their core sellers will not continue to be ripped off. Here is a recent article outlining his vision and he appears to be more focused on the small to medium seller.

I'm interested to see how this plays out if you go ahead and try and recover your money or your stolen laptop. Let us know what happens, OK?
I did get signature confirmation and I do have photos of the serial numbers. I’m not sure if I mentioned this but the buyer wouldn’t tell me what he supposedly received. Obviously the post office weighs the packages and wouldn’t you know, the package weight on the label is just slightly more than what the laptop weighs (shipping material). I filed a complaint already. I’ve found the same with Amazon. You can tell them you didn’t receive an item and they’ll refund the buyer pretty much right away and while leaving the seller SOL. I will be sure to keep everyone updated on here.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:55 PM

14,142 posts, read 19,300,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNan View Post

you know I was told I could make all the complaints I wanted too and they told me that nothing would be done .it would not pay to go after them especially since they are out of state .

Old 05-14-2015, 11:47 AM

105 posts, read 446,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
you know I was told I could make all the complaints I wanted too and they told me that nothing would be done .it would not pay to go after them especially since they are out of state .
Really? Yeah I’ve had the same issues. I’ve been on the phone almost every day with Ebay and I’ve gotten no where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or