U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 04:01 PM

105 posts, read 446,611 times

Advertisements

Looking for help on Ebay...

I sold an item on Ebay (MacBook Pro) about a month ago. I took photos of everything and had tracking etc on the item. At first the buyer claimed he never received the item and opened a case. Three days later he claimed he received the item but it was the wrong item so he closed the first case and opened a new one. I appealed and sent tracking information to Ebay and they still settled in the favor of the buyer. I was never given the chance to send photos or any other proof that I have.

Now Ebay is asking for $800 from me for the item. I’ve asked the seller to return the item and but he refuses. He wouldn’t even send me photos of the item he supposedly received incorrectly.

I called Ebay earlier this afternoon and was told I couldn’t appeal any further.

It’s annoying because I have proof that the buyer received the item in question but Ebay wont let me send it to them.

What Ebay is basically saying is “order anything you want from us, claim you got the wrong item, and we’ll give you your money back!”

What would you do? Contact a lawyer? The buyer scammed me big time.

As I said, I have proof they received the item in question.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 05:02 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,968,627 times
I had this happen twice. Which is actually rare. eBay usually sides with me in cases like this. But there were two times where they didn't. Both times, my lawyer was able to work with the buyer to get my money back.

Start by contacting your lawyer and filing a police report.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:06 PM

4,957 posts, read 3,360,553 times
We sell on eBay and usually eBay sides with the buyer. In may cases, the seller has no recourse which sucks! Contacting a lawyer may help.

Cat

Old 05-05-2015, 06:58 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,677,950 times
Well with EBay and PayPal splitting, these type of situations will minimize even further since EBay will only be able to suggest a resolution and not actually do one. And PayPal will be like CC companies and require more proof from both sides before making a decision.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:55 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,234,088 times
I was a pretty heavy user of eBay at one time, but it's become more of an online store than an auction site over the years. They changed their feedback system to the point that it's completely neutered, and I can find items on Amazon just as easily now.

I sold a cell phone on there a few months ago, and the first buyer never responded to any correspondence and I had to re-list it. The second buyer did pay for it, but I never heard one word about it and never got feedback. I was nervous about that transaction, because to be truthful he paid too much for what I was selling. I was amazed how high the auction went, so I figured he'd try to screw me too. But he did come through other than the feedback, so I can't complain.

I've been a user since 2000, and barely log on more than 2 or 3 times a year now. The glory days are gone.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:27 AM

20,531 posts, read 20,520,186 times
Supposedly, a buyer is supposed to return an item in order to get his money back.....supposedly.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:08 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,081,815 times
Ebay should have made him return it and provide tracking proof that it was returned to you. I sell on ebay sometimes too and I have had a few buyers try to jip me off like that.

ONE in particular was a perfect condition signed-CD from a band that's no longer together, very valuable. The buyer paid the full amount (hundreds$) and I very carefully wrapped it in about 4 layers of bubble wrap. Took it to the post office and they packaged it very safely as well. Before I could even get it mailed, the buyer had already sent me about 10 messages demanding different things (tracking number by 3pm, etc.. looking back, I could tell right then she was going to be a hassle but I did what she asked, completed the transaction and mailed it off to her anyway.)

Once it made it to her, she claimed that it was broken and she wanted a refund! I asked for pics and she wouldn't give them, I asked her to return it to me (carefully - like I had packed it for her) and she refused. Finally, she opened a case and ebay ruled in her favor and took the money out of my Paypal and gave it back to her. AND I STILL NEVER GOT THE CD BACK! Never heard a word from her again. So whoever it was got a celebrity signed, rare, valuable CD for free... basically she stole it from me and there wasn't much I could do about it.

I DO NOT sell anything that valuable on ebay anymore. Anything of value should be sold to someone local... lesson learned... it's so upsetting, Ty, I know... hugs. I was upset for months over that. You may want to find a lawyer and take it to small claims court. You don't even need a lawyer if you want to represent yourself, go to your local courthouse and file for a small claims case. The police will serve papers to the buyer to be in court. I really hope it works out for you. xx

Old 05-05-2015, 11:36 AM

14,140 posts, read 19,297,535 times
wow this is weird someone was asking me the same thing the other day and she was asking me what if the seller /buyer live in different states ?? you expect someone to travel to another state to show up in court ? yeah I tried that once and they ruled in my favor but I never saw a dime . Not much you could do about it in that situation ...Im guessing .

Old 05-05-2015, 01:40 PM

4,957 posts, read 3,360,553 times
What we do is we list everything AS IS and NO RETURNS!! We insure EVERYTHING! If they come back to us saying that things are broken, we tell them they need to take the package to the Post Office and open a claim with them since it was insured. Many times, they get back what they paid + shipping and they get to keep whatever it was they bought (which in many cases can be sold for parts or repair). Though that hasn't happened for a long time.

We have had a few people complain that things were what we described (even though they can see the pics), in those cases we will offer a partial refund-not a full one. Sometimes it is just $5 or $10 off what they paid and they seem satisfied with that and we don't have to deal with it.

Cat

Old 05-07-2015, 11:49 AM

105 posts, read 446,611 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was out of town until last night and am just now getting back to the web. It sucks to hear that it’s happened to so many other people. Ebay should be ashamed of their practices. My Ebay account has been suspended due to it so I wont be using it anymore. I’m glad Ebay and PayPal have spilt because my PayPal account isn’t in jeopardy of being closed. I suppose if I can’t get this resolved Ebay will just send it to collections eventually? I’d rather not mess up my credit score but not sure I can pay it back at this point either. Even if I could pay it back I’m not sure I would since it’s MY money and I was scammed.

I’d be happy to refund the money if the buyer returns the item but they’re refusing to do so. Odd huh?

Small claims court is an idea. They live in Arizona and I doubt they would make the trip up. Going to court involves more fees for me though and I’ll never see any of the money. I took a former roommate to court 5 years ago and never saw anything. Was such a waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or