U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:52 PM

39,917 posts, read 57,741,604 times

Advertisements

^^^Nothing wrong with shopping in few places.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 08:04 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,439,064 times
Nope, nothing's wrong. Just makes Aldi less than perfect.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:08 PM

7,672 posts, read 10,178,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not quite!
Everyone I know who raves about Aldi has to go somewhere else for more than a few things. Aldi does not carry a lot of stock.
it's true, I get 85% of my items at Aldi and then the rest at Asian markets. But it's that way for me with any store.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:51 PM

138 posts, read 102,172 times
I actually like ALDI in part because of its lack of many choices for the same product. I'm in and out of that store in about 20 minutes, for a full stock-up trip. That's greatly because of their limited choices and small store size (which is partly because of the limited choices).

I don't mind that they only have one kind/brand of normal ketchup, canned green beans, frozen corn, white rice, shredded cheddar, etc. Those are the kinds of things that I would be searching for the cheapest acceptable version of if I were shopping at a large grocery store, so by having just the one (cheap and decent quality) choice, they really help me cut down on my searching for products time.

However, I do love that they now offer many choices for more specialty types of items, which they didn't always do years ago. If I want a choice of several different flavors of potato chips, some brie or gruyere cheese, or Vidalia verses standard yellow onions, I have that option at ALDI.

In short, I think they are perfect for meeting most of my shopping needs, and especially for almost all of my basic items. I do shop for some items elsewhere, mostly when there's a great sale on meat or other items, but also for a handful of things they don't carry or that I don't like their version (can't stand their jars of spaghetti sauce or boxed mac and cheese, for example).

Old 05-21-2015, 10:41 AM

2,326 posts, read 1,931,947 times
We have an aldis nearby but they seem more expensive then walmart sometimes. I normally shop at krogers which beats all because of good sales.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:23 PM

10,662 posts, read 10,572,021 times
Prunes at Aldi.

Not so good. Small and dry. Walmart beats them hands down.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:09 PM

18,946 posts, read 5,055,326 times
No Aldi in my area, wish there was so I could comparison shop....(southern colorado).

Old 06-06-2015, 06:29 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,574,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
At Walmart they have these Multi-grain sandwich thins. At Aldi they have the same thing called Muti-grain sandwich Skinnies. A whopping $1.25 cheaper!
I think Aldi is generally cheaper for most things primarily because they cut many corners to bring you those low prices (like not offering paper/plastic bags and practically no shelving, for starters). But here is the main difference:

Walmarts are fairly consistent through out the U.S. In some locations, their might be an organic section, and in others, a tiny food isle, but for the most part what the sell is is consistent.

What Aldi sells varies widely be location. An Aldi in an poor neighborhood is going to have a lot of products by manufacturers you never heard off, off brands, more "generic" brands, and so on. An Aldi in a more upscale neighborhood will have more brand-name stuff and even "high end" products. Not only that but Aldi seems to stock stores based on what is more "local".

So, two Aldis in the same city can be be stocked with two separate "sets" of products while an Aldi out of State a third.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:18 PM

5,643 posts, read 5,084,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I think Aldi is generally cheaper for most things primarily because they cut many corners to bring you those low prices (like not offering paper/plastic bags and practically no shelving, for starters). But here is the main difference:

Walmarts are fairly consistent through out the U.S. In some locations, their might be an organic section, and in others, a tiny food isle, but for the most part what the sell is is consistent.

What Aldi sells varies widely be location. An Aldi in an poor neighborhood is going to have a lot of products by manufacturers you never heard off, off brands, more "generic" brands, and so on. An Aldi in a more upscale neighborhood will have more brand-name stuff and even "high end" products. Not only that but Aldi seems to stock stores based on what is more "local".

So, two Aldis in the same city can be be stocked with two separate "sets" of products while an Aldi out of State a third.
That hasn't been my experience. Here in Dallas, I frequent four different Aldi's in a variety of neighborhoods. The one in the Hispanic/Black neighborhood still has the fancy imported cheeses, some brand name products and wine - just like the one in the upscale neighborhood.

Those manufacturers you never heard of are frequently for imported foods from Germany. By purchasing them at Aldi I've had the opportunity to try lots of gourmet food I'd never have been able to afford otherwise.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:46 PM

7,672 posts, read 10,178,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
That hasn't been my experience. Here in Dallas, I frequent four different Aldi's in a variety of neighborhoods. The one in the Hispanic/Black neighborhood still has the fancy imported cheeses, some brand name products and wine - just like the one in the upscale neighborhood.

Those manufacturers you never heard of are frequently for imported foods from Germany. By purchasing them at Aldi I've had the opportunity to try lots of gourmet food I'd never have been able to afford otherwise.
That's my experience too. I actually been in at least 4 Aldi's and all in diverse neighborhoods from each other plus my Mom shops at one in another state. Only thing she doesn't have yet at her store is meat. But the shelf products are the same for her there as it is here. Only real differences I am seeing at the Special Buys or the "For limited time" type things. Those are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products