U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 09:07 AM

10,662 posts, read 10,572,021 times

Advertisements

I think i caught Aldi on this one. They have boneless,skinless chicken breasts in the 5lb family pack for $1.89 per lb. Sun Fresh in my area has them for $1.69 per lb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 08:42 AM

1,007 posts, read 889,692 times
I just moved and they are building a new Aldi here but it's not done yet. I like Aldi's. A lot of items are cheaper at everyday price. I noticed the same thing here, Versatile. The prices on meat are the same as other stores. I can get a better deal at Winn Dixie or Publix.

At Walmart in my area, the food prices are not any better than grocery stores unless there is a sale or a rollback. I save more money at the grocery stores. I have bought produce at Walmart, but it was the same price or more expensive than the grocery store and the quality wasn't better. I do shop at Walmart for pet food, personal care items and cleaning supplies, but I usually skip the grocery section. I just moved so I might take a look at the grocery section in the Walmart that is near me. Maybe it will be better.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:05 AM

6,231 posts, read 5,513,844 times
Aldi is moving into a former Bottom Dollar location near me. It's getting hard to find decent meat. All the supermarket chains in my area have eliminated the butchers and have all the meat prepackaged and trucked in. The quality of the meat has gone down considerably. There are a few butcher shops in my general area. Very expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:52 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,744,726 times
Unhappy *

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina
Many things are cheaper at Aldi...
I used to LOVE shopping there for alternative food I couldnt get anywhere else!!!

But now even thier food is being ruined!!!!! (Lower sodium,lower sugar.... SKIM MILK) It all tastes like crap!!

I Still get these (Although I dont know how long they will last)

1) Pasta Rings
2) Bag of Cane Sugar
3) Savoritz Crackers (Made like RITZ crackers used to be and are delicious)

My Iced Tea I loved there is no more..... THEY CHANGED IT TO COMPLETE GARBAGE!!!! (Caramel colour is added and vegetable juice powder) -- I stay away from CARAMEL COLOUR as I get headaches usually from anything with it and stuff tastes bad that has it!!! (Most stuff)

Very sad..........All those years Aldis was around with EXCELLENT FOOD and I didnt realise it until 2 years ago and within a year,food started being ruined there

Old 06-17-2015, 06:04 PM

7,294 posts, read 6,676,262 times
No Aldi in South Dakota. If they build one in Sioux Falls, I will come. Brookings would be even better!

When I visited Alexandra, MN they had one under construction. If they can make one work there they can make one work in Sioux Falls or Brookings. In fact they could build one in Brookings and 2 in Sioux Falls and do fine.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:26 PM

15,514 posts, read 31,817,851 times
I'm a big fan of ALDI. I can get a lot of staple goods and special gourmet items for dirt cheap. As others have said, you can't do your whole shopping trip there. Which is OK by me, because I have a lot of choices of places to shop and take advantage of those options.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:55 PM

73,272 posts, read 85,467,100 times
I don't believe in depending on only one store unless there is no choice. I am an Aldi's fan, but sometimes choose stores that take coupons, especially if they have something on sale and they double the coupon. I do prefer Aldi's to WalMart, although I like the fact WalMart will match prices, so, depending on my day, I might just settle for WalMart. I also love our own local grocery store. They are pricier but have much better meat than either WalMart or Aldi's. I got hamburger at Aldi's not too long ago; it was tasteless plus I found theri chicken thighs to be very small: the chickens must have been on diets. So, for us it simply depends on what we need and how much shopping we have to do. One thing we do love about Aldi's is their crackers, nuts, most of their canned goods and the cheeses.

I have to say, I was surprised to see someone post, Krogers is cheaper than eith or the two stores. I certainly never found them cheaper on anything other than maybe once in a blue moon a sale.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:03 AM

8,249 posts, read 11,032,454 times
Aldi's meat and salads are crap.
Their bagged salads spoil just 2 days after purchase.

In my area Aldi's is more comparable to Sav-a Lot than Walmart

Old 07-03-2015, 07:37 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,744,726 times
Ya they used to be MUCH BETTER!!!! (Now they are turning into a mainstream store and its very sad)

Old 07-03-2015, 08:26 AM

4,264 posts, read 2,396,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^Nothing wrong with shopping in few places.
Well, it is a time factor. I try my best to do acquire all my supplies for the week at one location when I go out and grocery shop. I've done Walmart Supercenters before. More often than not, I'm going to a traditional grocery store.

As for Aldi vs. Walmart, I went to an Aldi a few years ago once. Was not impressed at all. Seemed small and didn't have a lot of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products