U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 05:52 PM

190 posts, read 304,372 times

Advertisements

We were looking at different products to help with flying insects on our patio during the summer months. We have the OFF tabletop lantern that helps a little bit, but wanted something better. I was looking at the Tiki torches with bitefighter oil, but then also saw Thermacell products or Dynatrap products.

What is the best product to fight against mosquitos and/or gnats, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 08:23 PM

70,859 posts, read 53,192,222 times
Only thing that works for me is the strong stuff. I have big problems with bugs due to trees and evergreens around me and a neighbor who doesn't mow until her grass is 2 feet high.

I get the Cutter Backyard Bug control... Safe on trees. Keep pets off till it dries out a day or so. I do it before a party or every 3 months. They come back after couple weeks but the more you do it, the more its controlled. Organic stuff doesn't work as good.

I'll never get rid of them completely but you do notice a difference after a spray. Get the one you attach to hose. Easy to shake a spray.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:25 PM

190 posts, read 304,372 times
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Our son likes to play outside and we like to sit on the patio, so hopefully we can find something that works well.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:10 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,430,417 times
We have a mosquito magnet that we got second hand (for free!). They are temperamental, but when they work -- they work really well. It needs annual service and a lot of regular maintenance in between though, but if you're at all handy and good at fixing things, then I would definitely snatch one up if the opportunity ever presents itself. I would not recommend buying one for (anywhere near) retail though because (1) they are Very expensive; and (2) they require lots of attention. It's absolutely amazing though the number of Mosquitos it catches -- my jaw hits the ground every time my husband empties it.

Another option for patio/deck dining is a couple of free standing tall oscillating floor fans, strategically placed in corners of your deck. Blast them on high -- the moving air will feel nice on a hot summer night, with the added bonus of of keeping bugs at bay -- they either don't like getting caught up in the air current and so they stay away; or they're just getting blown away - not really sure. But it works...

Last edited by Lalalally; 05-13-2015 at 09:19 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 01:52 AM

468 posts, read 471,932 times
How about bat houses high up on the trees? natural bug eliminators. For sure the fans work too.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 AM

4,914 posts, read 3,071,240 times
I know that you did not ask this and may have already done it but try to prevent them or slow them down by dumping standing water around your yard. Empty buckets and other containers, hose out birdbaths regularly, and look for puddles.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:47 AM

6 posts, read 3,902 times
Those repellents aren't really that good. For the best effect try fogging the patio and your backyard perimeter with a mosquito fogger. This way you won't have to turn on special devices and wait for them to start working every time you go on to your patio.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:11 AM

18,478 posts, read 23,972,647 times
I actually just bought a ThermaCell mosquito repeller, and it's amazing! I bought it on Staples with my staples rewards, and took it to my favorite spot in the woods, and within just a few minutes, there were no mosquitos around me. It uses butane that heats up a pad that has insecticide on it, which creates an invisible cloud of insecticide that also doesn't have much odor to speak of, and clears bugs for a 15 foot area.

It really works! I could actually go into the woods and write in my journal in my favorite spot. I went on Staples to see if they had any kind of Off or anything like that I could use my rewards on, and found this gadget.

ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent Personal Pest Control Appliance, Olive Green | Staples®

Old 07-02-2015, 10:08 AM

13,604 posts, read 6,944,372 times
Honestly, I use spray on some bug repellent spray on my body when going out. Sure, I've heard some great things about perimeter control products, but I've found that they either take too much work to setup/maintain, and often have a foul, long-lasting smell.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Status: "living in a political world, where mercy walks the plank" (set 14 days ago)

21,730 posts, read 22,540,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I actually just bought a ThermaCell mosquito repeller, and it's amazing! I bought it on Staples with my staples rewards, and took it to my favorite spot in the woods, and within just a few minutes, there were no mosquitos around me. It uses butane that heats up a pad that has insecticide on it, which creates an invisible cloud of insecticide that also doesn't have much odor to speak of, and clears bugs for a 15 foot area.

It really works! I could actually go into the woods and write in my journal in my favorite spot. I went on Staples to see if they had any kind of Off or anything like that I could use my rewards on, and found this gadget.

ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent Personal Pest Control Appliance, Olive Green | Staples®
thanks for that report, I had looked at those for working in more remote areas on our property.

We have one of the older Mosquito Magnet® - Mosquito Control Products and it works so well that we rarely need to spray even tho we live in a rural area in Minnesota with plent of standing water and swampy areas just a stone throw from the house.. Effectively clears out an area of at least 1 acre to the point of not even seeing a mosquito. Haven't had a single operational issue in more than 10 years of use. Requires a 20# propane tank changeout every 4 weeks or so but we'd probably spend that much and more on bug spray otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products