U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:54 AM

13,820 posts, read 14,063,988 times

Advertisements

I avoid McDonald's at all costs unless I want a large unsweetened iced tea, but even then it's kind of a crapshoot.

I'm not at all opposed to fast food - Chipotle and Smashburger are my "go-tos." And I really enjoy Wendy's - very excited for them to roll out their black bean burgers. I hit Burger King for breakfast sometimes - they have bacon, scrambled egg and cheese on an English muffin, which is not all that bad for you.

Also, there's a local chain here called Good Times - like Chipotle they have a big focus on antibiotics-free meats and "sustainable" sourcing, etc. The food tastes like... regular food. It's not healthy by any means, but it's definitely better for you than Micky D's and moreover it TASTES better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 10:58 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,006,615 times
The original mcdonald's menu:

Hamburger, Cheeseburger, Shakes, Fries, Coke, Root Beer, Coffee, Orange Drink, Milk.

They should stick with that.

I'm not a fan, but I won't tell other people where they should eat, or NOT eat, just because I don't eat there.

I was 26 when I had my first McDonald's hamburger, fries and a drink - for less than a dollar!

Old 05-19-2015, 11:02 AM

4,422 posts, read 5,558,763 times

Old 05-19-2015, 11:05 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,135,512 times
Hmmm, OP...ever stop to think that maybe your taste buds aren't superior to everyone else's? Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that there's something wrong with it or that others shouldn't like it...

Old 05-19-2015, 12:21 PM

4,914 posts, read 3,071,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I believe sales are declining more because of increasing competition than people considering what to put in their body. Although there are a few supposedly healthy alternatives that are taking some of the market.
I think that as the economy improves sales will decline and then when the economy declines sales will again improve.

The food at McDonald's is not the problem. People who think that they are somehow better than other people because they say they do not eat at McDonald's as part of their fashion statement are the problem. It is what it is. If you do not like it nobody is making you eat it.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:32 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,188,216 times
The sausage biscuit with egg has gotten me through a few mornings after the party where I ate it after going through the drive thru with lots of ketchup.....in the parking lot....cured me right up....

Also,the cheeseburger was my go to food when I could not keep food down due to morning sickness, that lasted into my 5th month....something about the bun settled my stomach and made me feel better....that was 33 yrs ago...

Old 05-19-2015, 12:48 PM

8,830 posts, read 12,503,412 times
I used to eat a ton of fast food up to my early 30s and surprisingly my cholesterol was in check. I don't eat nearly as much now because I have more home-cooked leftovers but I still enjoy McDs a couple times a week (and Taco Bell or similar a few other times a week). I do notice now that it's not as good as I once thought it was. I think the food is the same, but I grew up out of the mindset. I can feel the difference after eating 3 of their $1 burgers vs. home-cooked now. But some things on the menu are pretty on par. When I say enjoy, I mean I like that it's fast, cheap, and satisfies my hunger.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:52 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,959,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Last week I ate at McDonald's for the first time in 15 years...what an awful experience.

The chocolate shake was far to syrupy -- made we want to go home immediately and rinse with Listerine. Each fry tasted as though it was covered with 2000mg of sodium -- they should call them salt sticks with a hint of starch. The Big Mac's bread tasted like cardboard.

How is it this company is still in business?

A few days after this awful experience I had a similar meal at a different fast food establishment, and for a dollar or so more, got something that was 20 times more palatable.

I like their food.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:20 PM

12,200 posts, read 20,788,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Last week I ate at McDonald's for the first time in 15 years...what an awful experience.

The chocolate shake was far to syrupy -- made we want to go home immediately and rinse with Listerine. Each fry tasted as though it was covered with 2000mg of sodium -- they should call them salt sticks with a hint of starch. The Big Mac's bread tasted like cardboard.

How is it this company is still in business?

A few days after this awful experience I had a similar meal at a different fast food establishment, and for a dollar or so more, got something that was 20 times more palatable.

Diet is a large part habit. People eat McD's because they are used to McD's and it tastes good to them, because that's what they eat.

And then, if they have to change their diet, everything new tastes AWFUL. Because they aren't trained to eat that way. And then after the taste buds have acclimated, when you go back and eat a Big Mac it's just gross.

I loved Burger King, and then I became diabetic and that stuff had to go. And it was HARD.... but I did it -- my carb heavy diet had to change to protiens and veggies with some small amount of whole grains.

I still go to fast food places, but I know what fits into my diet and some of those salads are GREAT. And Wendy's does half salads -- which are perfect. Every once in a while I get a hankering for a soda -- I have a soda.... and then for a year I'm good.

BUT -- I do think the quality of the food has gone down in order keep the food prices low and the profit margins high. I just had a whopper jr (fits in the carb count range) and it was horrible. But I was at an airport with a layover and the BK was about the only thing there that had anything that would work for me.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:28 PM

4,914 posts, read 3,071,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I avoid McDonald's at all costs unless I want a large unsweetened iced tea, but even then it's kind of a crapshoot.

I'm not at all opposed to fast food - Chipotle and Smashburger are my "go-tos." And I really enjoy Wendy's - very excited for them to roll out their black bean burgers. I hit Burger King for breakfast sometimes - they have bacon, scrambled egg and cheese on an English muffin, which is not all that bad for you.

Also, there's a local chain here called Good Times - like Chipotle they have a big focus on antibiotics-free meats and "sustainable" sourcing, etc. The food tastes like... regular food. It's not healthy by any means, but it's definitely better for you than Micky D's and moreover it TASTES better.
I would not be sure of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or