U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 01:45 AM

8,048 posts, read 1,870,136 times

Advertisements

I am 61, and I remember when Sears was wonderful. Very clean with lots of nice merchandise of good quality -- and getting the very thick Christmas catalog was so exciting when I was a kid! I can remember browsing through it for hours!

Now, though, Sears is just trashy, imo, and filled with inferior merchandise, and most of their customers are like the stereotype "Walmart" shoppers, at least the ones in the malls close to where I live. As a result, I haven't shopped at Sears for anything for at least a half dozen years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 06:54 AM

21,587 posts, read 31,261,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
I was in need of a few clothing staples the other day, just basics such as camis, etc. I actually had a few coupons for Kohls but I looked at them and thought, "Nah." I used to LOVE Kohls, could find tons of cute apparel and housewares items. But lately I've been not having luck. Online, if I actually see something I like it's always sold out in my size. Or its not on sale, and of course paying full price at Kohls is nonsense. I think the biggest issue is that apparel wise I've fallen into a "donut hole" gap of sorts, where Juniors items are too young and/or too cheaply made, yet the Misses (if it's called that?) Section feels very matronly and not my style at all. It's been awhile since I've bought anything but I did like a few pieces from Lauren Conrad collection and I've found lovely formal styles online. Otherwise it's just a black hole for me at 29.

Hopefully I can some decent alternatives, there are online retailers I love but no necessarily for basics.

Anyone else have a change of heart for a once-adored retailer?
That's how it has gotten for me at Macy's which used to be my go to for men's clothing and would always seemingly score some amazing deals on their sale days with the additional Macy's charge card markdown (50% off plus an additional 20% off). However they have seemingly devolved into offering styles and sizes more geared toward athletic-fit twenty-somethings who apparently don't hold normal jobs given the style of clothing or on the other extreme poor quality retiree/golfer clothing and of course the suit/tie/dress shirt section which isn't me.

I have actually found JC Penney to be a breath of fresh air where I can find a nice selection of stylish pants/jeans and shirts actually in-stock in my sizes. I could care less about the check-out procedure as there is never more than one person ahead of me at any given time, and find my time isn't that precious that waiting an extra two to three minutes isn't going to wreck my day.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:48 PM

933 posts, read 696,940 times
FootLocker - its just not the same

Old 06-16-2015, 11:27 PM

40,074 posts, read 48,974,742 times

It started here:
Woolworth's, then
Monkey Wards
Sears
JC Penny

Old 06-17-2015, 01:32 PM

4,103 posts, read 4,380,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
J.C. Penney's is driving me nuts. I always liked the store. But now find that I waste too much time making any purchase. They did not simplify any checkout procedures. Try paying cash at their catalog order counter - they do not accept cash; you have to buy a gift card to pay cash (that's stupid). Why make it easy and why not make several sales in the time that it takes to make one?

Then you always have the customers in front of you at the regular sales windows that want the deal offered online. One of these customers can hold up the line for a long time while we wait for the manager to come out.

I still like the store - I just think that they will not last long the way they are going. I know that it is frustrating and other stores facilitate their customers better.
They DID simplify checkout procedures, by not accepting cash. Very few customers pay cash anymore and cash transactions take far longer to ring up than simply swiping a card. There has been a lot of research on this, expect it to become more common.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:34 PM

8,048 posts, read 1,870,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
They DID simplify checkout procedures, by not accepting cash. Very few customers pay cash anymore and cash transactions take far longer to ring up than simply swiping a card. There has been a lot of research on this, expect it to become more common.
I actually prefer to pay cash, but then I am an old-fashioned "senior"!

Old 06-18-2015, 03:51 PM

14,839 posts, read 17,900,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ270 View Post
Sears. They use to have some descent clothing.
Can you still use their clothing in order to ascend?

Old 06-20-2015, 08:28 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,143,084 times
Pier 1. I refuse to pay $45 for a throw pillow. They lost their mission IMO.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:56 PM

4,688 posts, read 4,599,878 times
I find merchandise at most stores is a lot cr*ppier than it used to be. JCP and Kohls are the worst in that regard. Lately I've been noticing how hard it is to find a purse or footwear that is actually made of leather, especially at those two stores.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:29 PM

12,201 posts, read 20,788,446 times
Macy's -- got a hundred dollar gift card -- what happened to that place? Finally used it on some Fiestaware....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or