U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 09:13 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,006,405 times

Advertisements

Last week, Target was running a "free shipping on all orders" promotion on their website. I sprung for it and bought a few things off the site Wednesday night. The package shipped Thursday through UPS Surepost. The tracking page hasn't updated since Thursday, with the following information.

Tucson, AZ, United States 06/04/2015 4:30 P.M. Package is in transit to a UPS facility
06/04/2015 2:36 P.M. Your package is in transit to the UPS facility.
United States 06/04/2015 5:40 P.M. Order Processed: In Transit to UPS

Is this normal for this service? I've had things shipped once or twice with this method and it's never been this slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 09:34 AM

11,257 posts, read 44,311,975 times
I don't know if it's "normal", but I had a similar experience with "free shipping" from Amazon using the same service that took over 2 weeks to reach me.

The package tracking showed it had been shipped all over the USA to destinations which took it further away, then closer, then further away where it sat for awhile before finally being shipped to a only 140 miles away from the delivery address ... and was listed as being "out for delivery" the next couple of days.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:51 PM

Well, it FINALLY updated (first update since Thursday) and now it's in Secaucus, NJ. At least it's moving toward me, unlike some packages I've gotten in the past.

I just wish more online retailers would tell you the actual methods they use to ship and the cost of each one. Replace the options like "standard" and "expedited" with the method, like "UPS Surepost" or "UPS Ground".

Old 06-09-2015, 10:18 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
Keep in mind that UPS Surepost has the same slow speed as USPS Parcel Post. It may ship in bulk and depending on what is travelling where it may skip your State and end up one state further due to this. This type of shipping takes around 10 business days from the date the item actually enters the system and not the day the company marked it as shipped (usually all that means it has been labelled, placed into a pickup area awaiting for enough packages to actually move from a warehouse to the distribution center). Be happy it wasn't DHL.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:25 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,578,299 times
UPS Surepost is a service hand-off to the US Post Office for delivery. UPS collects the postage money, and has the USPS deliver it cheaper, and UPS keeps the slightly higher cost that they charge to do it. Millions of packages, and they collect good money for doing nearly nothing.

That's why it sucks, along with tracking, and everything else about it...

Old 06-10-2015, 02:15 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
UPS Surepost is a service hand-off to the US Post Office for delivery. UPS collects the postage money, and has the USPS deliver it cheaper, and UPS keeps the slightly higher cost that they charge to do it. Millions of packages, and they collect good money for doing nearly nothing.

UPS does the pickup from the shipper in bulk. UPS ships the parcels across the country to the Post Office in the destination zip code where they drop it off at local post office who sorts it for delivery. USPS does the least as the parcel is delivered as part of the normal routes as if it were normal mail. Its more cost effective for the shipper because they only have to utilize one shipper for shipping out product.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post

Exactly. Even though I live on a cul de sac, the UPS truck comes down almost every day. If it were shipped regular UPS, it would have arrived today. Tracking showed my package made it to their facility in Baltimore, where packages in this area typically arrive. It will supposedly arrive tomorrow, I can only hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Keep in mind that UPS Surepost has the same slow speed as USPS Parcel Post. It may ship in bulk and depending on what is travelling where it may skip your State and end up one state further due to this. This type of shipping takes around 10 business days from the date the item actually enters the system and not the day the company marked it as shipped (usually all that means it has been labelled, placed into a pickup area awaiting for enough packages to actually move from a warehouse to the distribution center). Be happy it wasn't DHL.
Trust me, even this is better than my past experiences with DHL's service. Everything I've bought that was shipped DHL was done through a similar method where it goes through their network and then the post office delivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products