U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:02 PM

7,325 posts, read 4,118,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I get your point, but I also think that the vast majority of internet users do not view asking for an email address as a barrier.
Some how I doubt that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 09:46 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,661,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Forcing a prospective customer to log in to their website with their email address or through Facebook or Twitter. Not going to happen.
I agree...if I have to create an account just to LOOK at an online retailer's website, forget it. Zulily does this too:

zulily | something special every day

So does Joss and Main:

https://www.jossandmain.com/

Old 06-14-2015, 09:59 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,006,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I get your point, but I also think that the vast majority of internet users do not view asking for an email address as a barrier.
I would never give my email to a website I'm just visiting for the first time, even if it is an established brand like Zulily or Joss & Main.

I already get enough marketing emails that I technically wouldn't consider spam every day. I always thought one of the main goals of e-commerce sites was to make it as easy for the customer as possible, guess not.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:14 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,439,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I agree...if I have to create an account just to LOOK at an online retailer's website, forget it. Zulily does this too:

zulily | something special every day

So does Joss and Main:

https://www.jossandmain.com/
Yep, those two are quite popular... and there are many more, frequented by lots of people.
I don't bother with those either.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:18 AM

20,543 posts, read 20,523,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
If you meant you have to sign up just to look, I have to amend my earlier post to, sorry, nope.
Would you do that just in order to walk into a brick and mortar place?
Too many other places just a click away.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:16 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
I just skip such sites. Plenty out there to choice from; IMO.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:19 PM

4,688 posts, read 4,599,878 times
I agree. Even though I have a couple of email addresses that I use just for shopping online or other sites that will likely inundate me me with junk emails, I still hate sites that require my email address just to LOOK at their site. I move on.

I am similarly confused by "membership" stores such as Sam's or Costco. I never understood why any retailer would want to hinder potential customers.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:31 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,439,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I am similarly confused by "membership" stores such as Sam's or Costco. I never understood why any retailer would want to hinder potential customers.
Judging by how crowded they are, I am glad some people choose to not go there!

Old 06-15-2015, 02:30 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,006,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

The reason why they require a membership is because the profit margins are extremely small. I read that the highest markup on anything at Costco is only 15 percent.

We have a membership to BJ's, and although I personally don't do much shopping at the store, I typically buy gas there. It's always 5-10 cents cheaper per gallon than anywhere else.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:01 AM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 2 days ago)

15,527 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Thanks folks for the advice but I've got more than enough email accounts that I use for various purposes that I can keep up with.

What struck me with the need to share this site with everyone is the just the ridiculousness of a retailer thinking that there products are soo cool so indispensable that I would give up all my personal information just to look at their wares. Either that or these folks have crap products and expect to make more on selling my email address. Either way, I can't be bothered with this business model.
I agree with you. I also dislike the way some stores hide the price of the item until right at the end when you are about to check out. That goes for brick and mortar stores too. If the price of the item isn't obvious, I rarely bother trying to purchase it. I'm not going to enter my cc info and address just to find out the price/shipping cost and possibly decide it's too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or