U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2015, 09:39 AM
 
7,325 posts, read 4,118,845 times
Reputation: 9082

Advertisements

Forcing a prospective customer to log in to their website with their email address or through Facebook or Twitter. Not going to happen.

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/...criteo_instant

I don't know what they are paying CNN for the add, but I tell you for me its a waste of good advertising dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2015, 10:17 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,419 posts, read 38,439,064 times
Reputation: 39085
:::shrug:::
Just order it elsewhere if you are uncomfortable giving them an email address.

I have a separate addy just for shopping sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2015, 10:23 AM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,539,384 times
Reputation: 12419
If you want to look at ads for items being advertised this way, just sign up for a Hotmail or Yahoo email that doesn't give away your identity and look at it. What's the big deal? You know you can sign up for an email address that doesn't reveal your name, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2015, 12:15 PM
 
7,325 posts, read 4,118,845 times
Reputation: 9082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
:::shrug:::
Just order it elsewhere if you are uncomfortable giving them an email address.

I have a separate addy just for shopping sites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
If you want to look at ads for items being advertised this way, just sign up for a Hotmail or Yahoo email that doesn't give away your identity and look at it. What's the big deal? You know you can sign up for an email address that doesn't reveal your name, right?
Thanks folks for the advice but I've got more than enough email accounts that I use for various purposes that I can keep up with.

What struck me with the need to share this site with everyone is the just the ridiculousness of a retailer thinking that there products are soo cool so indispensable that I would give up all my personal information just to look at their wares. Either that or these folks have crap products and expect to make more on selling my email address. Either way, I can't be bothered with this business model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2015, 08:23 PM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,419 posts, read 38,439,064 times
Reputation: 39085
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post

What struck me with the need to share this site with everyone is the just the ridiculousness of a retailer thinking that there products are soo cool so indispensable that I would give up all my personal information just to look at their wares.
Nope... not "all my personal information", just an email address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2015, 09:01 PM
 
7,325 posts, read 4,118,845 times
Reputation: 9082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nope... not "all my personal information", just an email address.
Its a damned slippery slope

Ok I got carried away but still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,539 posts, read 20,523,898 times
Reputation: 24388
I have no problem with an email address but can't think of one good reason to sign in anyplace through FB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
Reputation: 32286
1. I don't see the ad because:
A. CNN made their site too long to load and too intrusive and broke the simple video viewing, so I don't go there
B. I use ad-blocker +
2. I wouldn't wear a watch anyway because:
A. They are little more than status symbols that mostly muggers and social climber aholes appreciate
B. There are plenty of other ways to tell the time if you don't rely on crutches like watches.
C: Being metaphorically constantly in bondage to time and other people's schedules is just nasty
3. I wouldn't buy a product like that because:
A. If you sell a product and hide the price, you likely don't have a fixed price and bump it up based on demographics
B. You probably are a reseller or other value-added scum-sucker.
4. I wouldn't buy from an idiot because:
A crossed out listing price of more than 1/4 million is flat out stupid on a general news site. If your target audience is multi-millionaires, you don't advertise at the local food stamp office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 10:25 AM
 
7,325 posts, read 4,118,845 times
Reputation: 9082
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
1. I don't see the ad because:
Good points just not the point.

I often click on ads:

a. because it keeps stuff free and
b. I was curious about just what other stuff they sell

So the point is if I were a bricks and mortar store would I put up a device that required a shopper to gain access am I encouraging shopping or am I discouraging a shopper. I would argue that it is the later. Retail competition is stiff enough that putting up barriers to potential customers is just nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 10:55 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,419 posts, read 38,439,064 times
Reputation: 39085
I get your point, but I also think that the vast majority of internet users do not view asking for an email address as a barrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top