U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:00 PM

3,608 posts, read 4,776,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Subway did not help matters by using a chemical found in yoga mats and shoes in their bread either. Ugh.
Subway dropped azodicarboamide.

Anyway, what something is used if for or how hard it is to pronounce isn't what makes something dangerous. That's a scare tactic for people who don't understand chemistry that might get a few bad things removed, but will lead to people acting foolishly and make poor decisions in the long run.

Would you drink something that is found in sewage? Not if phrased like that, but you'd likely drink water. Would you eat something that is laced with 3,3′-Diindolylmethane, Sulforaphane, and indole-3-carbinol? They say you shouldn't eat food that has chemicals you can't pronounce. Lucky for me I took chemistry in college, because I like the occasional serving of broccoli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 09:33 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,180,787 times
Who really eats at Subway? Their food has always been bland.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:48 PM

520 posts, read 423,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Subway dropped azodicarboamide.

Anyway, what something is used if for or how hard it is to pronounce isn't what makes something dangerous. That's a scare tactic for people who don't understand chemistry that might get a few bad things removed, but will lead to people acting foolishly and make poor decisions in the long run.

Would you drink something that is found in sewage? Not if phrased like that, but you'd likely drink water. Would you eat something that is laced with 3,3′-Diindolylmethane, Sulforaphane, and indole-3-carbinol? They say you shouldn't eat food that has chemicals you can't pronounce. Lucky for me I took chemistry in college, because I like the occasional serving of broccoli.
Don't obfuscate with word games. You and I know both know we are all talking about chemicals which arent naturally in these foods and have no reason to be in the food supply period.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:59 PM

32,261 posts, read 14,520,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Wait till they have to start paying the help $15/hr. "twenty dollar foot long", just doesn't have the same ring as "$5 dollar foot long"
not true, labor is only part of the cost of a product. Doubling the price of minimum wage would probably increase the price of a sandwich by 12%-25%, so a $5.00 foot long would cost $5.60 to $6.25

Old 06-19-2015, 10:28 PM

2,414 posts, read 1,544,618 times
Quote:
I have never seen Jimmy John's advertise.
We live in the same general area as you, I believe, and Jimmy John's commercials are the most annoying thing on TV.
Here's one that is particularly annoying.

I prefer Chipotle for "fast food" but I do go to Subway on occasion. My preferred sandwich is on the cheapest tier, so that's something, I guess. I never did like Quiznos. And their
rat commercials seemed like the worst market strategy ever (using weirdo rodent-like things to advertise food?), but they were oddly hilarious.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:41 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,738,124 times
Subway sandwiches are gross. They have these white and yellow rubbery discs, and I realized they are "eggs." Also, the chicken breasts are not fresh and have no flavor. It's just gross food.

If I want a sandwich, I'll make it at home.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:18 PM

25 posts, read 17,943 times
I was recently surprised how good Togo's Sandwiches were.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:15 AM

671 posts, read 676,343 times
The chicken there looks and tastes fake. Occasionally, I'll go there and get a steak sub.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:25 AM

3,608 posts, read 4,776,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Don't obfuscate with word games. You and I know both know we are all talking about chemicals which arent naturally in these foods and have no reason to be in the food supply period.
Natural chemicals aren't all good and synthetic or added chemicals aren't all bad. I suspect that's some on which we fundamentally disagree. Even then, calling something guilty by association is totally misleading. Water is used in almost every toxic process but that does t make it unsafe.

Why I'm Not Worried About Yoga Mat Chemicals in My Food*|*Monica Reinagel, MS, LDN, CNS

Almost 500 Foods Contain The 'Yoga Mat' Compound. Should We Care? : The Salt : NPR

The Azodicarbonamide fiasco | Skeptical Science

Old 06-20-2015, 09:23 AM

22,951 posts, read 22,965,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
two mistakes:

1. their food is crappy. Tastes bad, stale, chemicals.
2. Guess what, their price is the same as local shops or Jimmy Johns! Or within a dollar or so. Worth it, to not eat shoe rubber. Which I always thought their bread tasted like anyway. Nice, warm, shoe.

I miss Quiznos too... Now I don't want to eat Jimmy Johns either though, look up the company owner. He does canned safari hunts and is an ass to employees. Fortunately, plenty of good local shops here. I still get a Jimmy Johns occasionally though, those sprouts are so yummy!
Y'all need to try Which Which Which Wich | Superior Sandwiches | Sandwich Shop if there's one near you!
YUM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or