U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:00 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,339,741 times

Advertisements

Subway's biggest problem is how stingy they are with their fillings. You are eating a sandwich that is mostly bread, with a couple of half slices of cheese and half slices of lunch meat. It really doesn't take a genius to figure out why they're struggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 12:43 PM

29 posts, read 38,032 times
I stopped eating there once I learned how they make their tuna salad. A former employee told me how the tuna actually burned her fingers as she mixed it with the mayo by hand. And this was despite wearing gloves! After hearing about the yoga mat chemical in their bread, as well, that was enough for me.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:56 PM

2,101 posts, read 1,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Y'all need to try Which Which Which Wich | Superior Sandwiches | Sandwich Shop if there's one near you!
YUM!
Co-Sign

Old 06-20-2015, 02:19 PM

506 posts, read 353,880 times
I always preferred Quiznos over Subway, but the one here went belly-up

Old 06-20-2015, 02:29 PM

6,231 posts, read 5,513,844 times
I stopped going to my local Subway when they stopped carrying the seafood salad which I quite enjoyed. Their menu has gotten too complicated, with salads, pizza, avocado, etc.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:22 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,134,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
There is at least one down here. I discovered it while I was moving a few weeks ago. It was great because I was hot, sweaty and had a packed SUV with pets in it so I definitely didn't want to stop anywhere but I was starving. That is the first Subway drive thru I have ever seen. I agree that more drive-thrus would boost business. There are many times you don't want to stop and get out of the car...rain, too hot, kids or pets in the car, etc.
Wow, Detroit, NC, and South Florida....I live in the wrong place

I've always felt uncomfortable going in a Subway because you have to stand around people who are trying to just eat lunch, and it bothers me that I might be bothering them. I always feel like I'm invading someone's space. That's the main reason I'd prefer a drive-thru, but I still wouldn't go very often because it's just not that good. And when I ask them to cut the footlong into fours, they always wipe off the fork on the edge of the prep table first, which always made me cringe.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:20 PM

16,693 posts, read 14,180,792 times
Subway sucked 20 years ago, and they still suck now. The difference is that in many places, Subway was the only game in town. Recent trends are everyone and their brother opening up something that offers similar, but much better food at the same pricing level. Subway is suffering the same as McDonalds, in that they are operating the same as for at least 20 years, it is that people are coming into the game and playing it well.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:24 PM

9,966 posts, read 7,576,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
You can't keep something at 5 bucks for eternity. Its called INFLATION. The purchasing power of that $5 reduces year after year.
Remember the Arby's 5 for $5 Roast Beef? Don't see that one anymore.. You can't even get 5 of the Junior Roast Beef for $5 anymore.

Franchisees, I remember reading, didn't like the promotion, either.. It increased business, but towards the end, they were losing money.

"Dollar" menus are basically a thing of the past now.. They're "Value Menus" now, and most everything is over a dollar.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:45 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,961,980 times
Last time I had Subway was the last time I will go there. The sub was dreadful. The bread was awful, the tuna salad was inedible. I guess I could give them some points for having fresh lettuce and tomato to put on it, but the lettuce was tastless and the tomato was unripe. Yeah, it was cheap enough, but since I really couldnt eat it, it was NOT cheap!

Old 06-20-2015, 07:38 PM

7,462 posts, read 4,112,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I can get a large cheese pizza that comfortably feeds two for 13 dollars(and this is decent pizza from a local shop). Or I can get Mcdonalds or subway for $12. It's an easy choice.
That's not apples to apples, though. The kind of person who regularly eats at Subway would not regularly eat a pizza, one of the worst foods for health there is (besides mac and cheese).

I would never eat at McDonald's, either. The food...and the kids swarming all over the place, complete with a playground for them and happy meals. No way.

Subway is good. But the article was saying that people are buying up....at places like Chipotle. Not to get less healthy food like pizza, but to get even healthier food. They are spending MORE at higher end places, rather than less at Subway.

There aren't many Subways where I live. I've also never noticed a Chipotle anywhere, although I guess there are some. For me...cheaper is better, as long as the food is decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or