U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 10:40 PM

2,101 posts, read 1,647,352 times

Advertisements

The interesting thing is that a record number of Americans are eating out vs. eating at home. They just dont want to eat unhealthy, processed, artificial foods packed with fillers and preservatives. And therein lies the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 12:05 AM

25,306 posts, read 15,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Subway falling, yet Vietnamese owned Lee's Sandwiches is thriving.

Subway needs a drive-thru. Same with Panda Express.
The link I posted about the meat recall was Lee's . Also Panda Express does have some drive thrus needs near me actually.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:12 AM

25,306 posts, read 15,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
The interesting thing is that a record number of Americans are eating out vs. eating at home. They just dont want to eat unhealthy, processed, artificial foods packed with fillers and preservatives. And therein lies the problem.
Many people are working longer hours these days and busier too. With more traffic commute times have also gotten longer for many people...cutting into their free time.

There are a number of fast casual type concepts that keep opening to compete with the traditional places like McD's and Subway.

Right here is the Top 100
http://www.fastcasual.com/static_med...nd_shakers.pdf

Old 06-17-2015, 12:39 AM

12,434 posts, read 10,904,621 times
1. Bad, bland food
2. High prices

Old 06-17-2015, 02:04 AM

10,716 posts, read 13,444,322 times
[quote=soletaire;40049456]The interesting thing is that a record number of Americans are eating out vs. eating at home. They just dont want to eat unhealthy, processed, artificial foods packed with fillers and preservatives. And therein lies the problem.[/QUOTE]

And an expensive problem at that. Eating relatively healthy even adds up in cost and even calories also. We consume numerous chemicals and junk even in some labeled "healthy" foods. Not easy these days. Fast food is the top of the junk pile though. "Pink slime", hormones and fillers abound. I think if the full truth came out of the contents in addition to the sanitary practices (or lack thereof) of fast food joints there would be a flood of hurl from us people out here.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:57 AM

6,231 posts, read 5,513,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The real problem with Quizno's was that they made it nearly impossible for franchisees to make any profit with all of their crazy promotions and their requirements that franchisors buy product through them.

Subway is just as bad.
===========================

I would not buy a franchise of any restaurant unless I had an iron clad exclusivity agreement for the entire market area. Too many Subway locations are within 500 yards of each other.
My local subway changed hands twice within the last couple of years. Both owners told me they could barely make a profit. The staff was a constant revolving door because they couldn't afford to give anybody hours so the owner was forced to make sandwiches all day. I suppose unless you're in a very high traffic area, that one would need to own multiple locations to make any money.

That said I always find chain places to be depressing. The food is always salty, the staff is a constant revolving door. At least when I go into one of the local family own restaurants, the staff I know by name and they put more effort into the food.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:41 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,134,960 times
Quote:

Agree 100%. And I miss Blimpie, who actually cut the bread in half instead of just folding it over.

Go back to basics and refine/clean up, forget all the exotic, weird new concoctions, and give customers fewer choices -- studies have proven people tend to get confused when offered too many options. Here's just one:
Too Much Information: Effects of Complexity on Decision-Making

And this: https://blog.kissmetrics.com/too-many-choices/

Old 06-17-2015, 04:54 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,188,216 times
Quote:

They have a few drive thru in the Detroit area....

Old 06-17-2015, 07:14 AM

5,364 posts, read 6,119,582 times
I am glad to see consumers demanding higher quality products from these chains that have been selling overprocessed and frankly overpriced garbage for a long time. McDonalds is going through the same problem right now, people have realized there's no point buying a crappy artificial burger/sandwich for ~$6 when you can pay just a little more and get a higher quality product.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:44 AM

8,089 posts, read 11,185,223 times
Quote:

Panda Express has a location with a drive through near me and Subway does have a prototype with one as well, it'sjust that since the startup costs of subway are so low, it tends to bring in people wanting to do it as cheap as possible and that usually means in-line store locations rather than a stand alone building. But the net effect is few drive through locatikns, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or