Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 06:46 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,132,052 times

Advertisements

I always wondered about the breakfast thing...like, what was the thinking behind that?...I mean, you know most people who can afford your product work for a living...so if their customers are rushing to work, did they really think customers were going to skip the McD's drive thru and WALK inside a Subway and then rush back out to their car with their breakfast and speed off to work at 6-7 in the morning for 4 or 5 days a week?

Or maybe they thought: if they wouldnt have time to run inside a subway before work on week days, then we can just assume they would visit on the weekend for breakfast, right? Brilliant idea, except thats what IHOP is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 07:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,250,936 times
I have yet to have a decent fast food 'deli' sandwich. Main reason being the bread.

I'd rather eat a bad hamburger from McKing then the best fast food 'deli' sandwich.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:24 PM

746 posts, read 1,725,271 times
Haven't read the whole thread, but casual fast pizza will be eating Subways lunch too. Chains like Pie Five, Maddios, Blaze, Pizza Rev can make a 11" pizza in under five minutes before your eyes for like $6.99. A drink and salad or dessert for $10. How can Subway compete?

Near me, there's a Pie Five, Subway, and Five Guys in a strip mall. Pie Five normally has a line, Five Guys has a few people in it, and Subway is normally empty, and these stores are all new.

Casual fast pizza is the new wave, biting into Dominos, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut, Subways, and even McDonalds. Who can resist a true personal pan pizza Chipotle style?

Old 06-17-2015, 07:37 PM

746 posts, read 1,725,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I actually like Subway and eat my lunch there at least 2-3 times a week. I am watching my cholesterol and get the 6 inch turkey sub. Taste is different to different people, and I think the subs are good and a good value. For $6 I get a quick lunch that is lower in fat than any of the other fast food places in the area, like McD, or Burger King.

Don
Off topic, but if you are watching your cholesterol, don't eat bread. Eat protein, even beef, and veggies.

Cholesterol eaten with meat doesn't survive the digestive track. Bread and sugar are the causes of cholesterol, because it's hard on the cardio system to digest, but the medical establishment wants you to believe cholesterol is from meat. Eskimos and Inuit didt have LDL problems when they ate blubber and whale meat. When sugar and flour were introduced, their LDL ballooned.

The whole medical establishment is mostly a racket to prescribe pills.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:38 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,495,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Always wondered why Subways never have that heavenly, yeasty, bread-baking smell.
Now that you mention it... I am wondering why! Usually baking bread is a mouthwatering experience.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:33 PM

12,680 posts, read 8,909,981 times
Didn't read the whole thread, but have often wondered why, when any news item (OP) discusses the problems with a fast food chain (McD), it's ALWAYS blamed on "people are eating healthier." But funny thing is, people are eating the same things, just at better places. Why does no "expert analyst" simply say "It's because your food is crap."

Old 06-17-2015, 10:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,056,910 times
I actually enjoy Subway, there is one across the street and the walk is maybe 50 yards door to door. They sometimes print me out a coupon valid only at that location for buy one, get one free footlong. Kind of makes dinner easier on us when we're feeding 2 for $7 and it's so convenient.

Are there better places? Yes but the price with coupon and convenience can't be beat for me. We do not have Jimmy John's here yet but will this summer. They're my preferred sub place. Quizno's was great but there aren't that many of them and they're expensive.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,959,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
I still get a Jimmy Johns occasionally though, those sprouts are so yummy!
I thought all the Jimmy Johns got rid of sprouts because they were always apart of some recall. I mainly went to Jimmy Johns because of the sprouts, but once they replaced sprouts with cucumbers on all their sandwiches I stopped going as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Jimmy Johns...it's okay, but sometimes they make their stuff too slimy. I can't explain it any better.
Yeah, I know what you mean. That is another reason I stopped going there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I've complained about Subway's lack of a drive-thru to my daughter, who works there. She says customers are used to looking at the selections and being involved in their order. They want a few more olives or not so much lettuce, or they want to choose a different bread roll. I always look critically at the tomatoes before allowing one on my sandwich (my Jimmy John's has consistently good tomatoes, while everyone else's are underripe pink stemmy garbage). It's interesting that they're trying the drive-thru but I'm not sure it will take off. A shop would have to hire more people to man the orders and window, and the ROI might not be worth it.
Yeah, I wouldn't go through a Subway drive-thru their veggies don't always look very good, so if I do end up at a Subway, I like to see that the tomatoes are ripe or the lettuce isn't brownish. I'm not too concerned about the amount of toppings, as I know I don't have much say in that. Last time I went to a Subway they barely put any toppings on, and when I asked if I could at least have more lettuce I was told it would be a $1 for each extra topping that I wanted. I can go to the grocery store and get a whole head of lettuce for $1, I'm not paying that much for a few more slivers of lettuce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Im completely blind to Subway after eating Which-Wich and to a lesser degree, Potbelly and Firehouse.
I like Potbelly, although its always so loud in there, at least the location here.When I went there yesterday it wasn't that busy, but I had to shout my order at the guy for him to hear me, then he had to shout back at me. It was kind of awkward because I kept having to ask him to repeat himself. And he still didn't make my sandwich right.

I haven't tried Which-wich, although they do have a few locations around here.

Quote:
P.S. - Also both their bacon and chicken are a joke at Subway
I have never and could never eat that chicken. It looks like fake chicken, like those soy products that are made to look like meat.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:20 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,454,875 times
Had a local Mexican (they were a chain, but not THAT big) that sold sandwiches for $6.60. They had lunch specials M - F where you'd also get a drink, rice, and beans. The rice was tasty and fluffy. The beans were in some kind of soup, and also included some sort of collard greens and bacon. Compared to the sandwich at Subway, and the mediocre bag of Lays or Sun Chips... NO comparison whatsoever. Of course, Subway IS everywhere, but so are plenty of other food options much of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If you think that's bad, consider my experience many years ago at a Burger King in Budapest.
I chose the "Vegetarian Whopper" from their menu board, assuming that I would receive some sort of Veggie Burger. After all of the extremely fatty food that I had already eaten in Hungary, I thought that this would be an intelligent choice.

What I received was a Whopper bun containing only a small amount of lettuce, two shards of tomato, and a tiny bit of onion. In other words, it was a Whopper--minus the meat and with almost no added vegetables--and for almost the same price as a conventional Whopper! Then, factor in the cost of a napkin and a dab of ketchup (yes, they charged for both!), and this was an unsatisfying lunch at a premium price.

Never again...

Five Guys does that. However, they call it "vegetable burger", as opposed to "veggie burger". The former much more so implies that it's a burger with their usual vegetables, no meat. The latter makes it sound like it's that trademarked (IIRC?) patty that's made out of soy protein, beans, vegetables, whatever.

And oh, Subway did that with their coupons too. I got excited getting some of them, only to find out that you get a free 6-in... only after purchasing a 6-in PLUS a drink and chips! Given how much 6-in subs cost, that's actually not bad. However, if you take in the overall picture, not so much that good :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
They got rid of the $5 footlong, replaced it with $6 6 inch subs with a chips and drink and thought I wouldn't notice.

The problem is if I'm spending $5-6 already on not much food, I'm gonna spend another $2-3 to get either more quantity, or better quality. Enter Jimmy Johns or the local Chinese place, and Culvers as well.
Yeah, this was BAAD. However, from their perspective, I'd be conflicted, as it seemed tough to keep up them $5 footlongs. They HAD TO BE losing $$ on those. I'd say it seemed like a doomed outcome no matter what, but the ones I've seen are doing pretty well (although I do live in a lower income area, and there aren't really any better sandwich joints to compete).

Old 06-18-2015, 08:50 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,007,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
A few of the Subways around here actually served breakfast at one point. I don't believe it was a success because I hardly see anybody there during breakfast hours. Maybe they no longer have the breakfast menu now, not sure. I believe you lose your way when you try to do too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I always wondered about the breakfast thing...like, what was the thinking behind that?
Breakfast is still served at every Subway I've been to, and I've been to a lot on the West and East Coast.

The problem with their breakfast is that the egg is pre-made from the powder and then frozen, then they toast it to re-heat it on the sandwich like any other of the meats or whatever. The result is disgusting. The egg itself is the worst part of the sandwich. I mean even McDonalds cooks their eggs, come on.

The reasoning, as near as I can tell, is choice. You can literally make any sort of sandwich you want for breakfast. That's something McD's and others don't offer. And honestly it would be smart IF they fixed the eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have yet to have a decent fast food 'deli' sandwich. Main reason being the bread.
Seriously...Submarina. Top of the list IMO. Panera is also decent, though I wouldn't necessarily call it "fast" and it depends on which sandwich you order.

The local liquor store has a deli setup that you can barely tell is there, and that guy is like a samurai when he makes sandwiches. But when they have those french rolls - which I CANNOT find in any store - that sandwich is the best I've ever had. The only problem is he skimps on the meat and you can't get bacon or other things on it. But the taste is out of this world otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
Haven't read the whole thread, but casual fast pizza will be eating Subways lunch too.
Casual fast pizza is the new wave, biting into Dominos, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut, Subways, and even McDonalds. Who can resist a true personal pan pizza Chipotle style?
Pizza Hut's Personal Pan used to be amazing. The taste fell off somewhere.
Subway's pizza which isn't offered everywhere is good for a traveler. Not much else. It's basically frozen cheese pizza that they re-heat and add whatever toppings.

I get tired of hearing about Chipotle, frankly. The one time I ate there I was seriously not impressed. It's like the In-N-Out of the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products