Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 09:52 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times

Advertisements

I used to enjoy going to subway 2 or 3 times a month. Once I realized that the chicken was all processed and wasn't considered real chicken it made me stop eating the chicken. The final straw came when it was announced that the bread had a chemical compound that was found in Yoga mats. That was it I was done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 11:22 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,158 times
[quote=whocares811;40038146]MY two reasons for boycotting Subway:

1. Pandering to Muslims by no longer serving ham or bacon in many locations in the UK

You are kidding right? As if it wasn't hard enough to run a business. You don't eat something do not buy it.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:31 AM

520 posts, read 532,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I used to enjoy going to subway 2 or 3 times a month. Once I realized that the chicken was all processed and wasn't considered real chicken it made me stop eating the chicken. The final straw came when it was announced that the bread had a chemical compound that was found in Yoga mats. That was it I was done.
They just announced they are removing all artificial ingredients. Like Panera did earlier.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
This is an article about Subway removing artificial ingredients.

Subway is pulling artificial ingredients from its menu - Quartz

It kind of makes you wonder though if they can actually be trusted because their Slogan/Tagline has been "Subway Eat Fresh"...so they are basically admitting they were lying all these years. Also wondering if the prices will come up as well.

Then they'll do some announcement that , "Due to our higher quality ingredients , we must raise prices".

This article says that the changes will occur by 2017
Subway Will Drop Artificial Ingredients by 2017 - Eater

The article above also mentions
Though the FDA has never defined the difference between "natural" and "artificial" ingredients, Subway is taking steps to remove additives that are chemically derived and replace them with familiar ingredients. For example, Subway's turkey cold cuts are preserved in proprionic acid, an inhibitor of bacterial growth. Though proprionic acid is "a naturally occurring" acid, and is produced by the human body, repeated exposure at high levels can be harmful. Subway will replace the proprionic acid it uses with vinegar.

Kind of interesting , as sometimes there is a reason for these chemicals to be used. If everything were raw/natural I think sometimes people don't think of the possible side effects from it. They just think 'natural' is good.
There is a reason that certain preservatives are used in food.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:19 PM

400 posts, read 414,086 times
Google YouTube- Black Man Angry at Subway@siggas. Its hilarious. I know how he feels.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:03 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I don't eat at Jimmy John's because I disagree strongly with the owner's behavior. He pays lowest-dollar, makes employers sign a non-compete clause (for making sandwiches!), was a leader in the anti-Obamacare movement, and does everything he possibly can to avoid paying his fair share of state and Federal taxes. In addition to that, I'm really turned off that goes to Africa to kill elephants, leopards, etc., as a "sport." To me, that's a real turn-off and I don't give my hard-earned money to people like that.
UPDATED: Jimmy John is a big man.* With the photos to prove it. : SPlog : Smile Politely
10 companies that shamelessly tried to duck Obamacare - Salon.com
Jimmy John's Enforces An 'Insanely Restrictive' Dress Code On Franchisees And Their Workers

That said, I did have his sandwiches several times before I learned all that. They were so much better than Subway's in terms of quality, I wondered at that time how Subway could stay in business. Subway's trying to be all things to all people. Egg whites, flat bread, fake pizzas, etc., etc. They should concentrate on making a decent sandwich for a fair price. I would suspect the reason the $5 footlong disappeared is because they have too many other bases to cover these days. McDonald's made the same mistake. Too many choices, none of them all that great.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:00 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
I really loved Subway, and I think that affection helped me lose weight like Jared. Not as much, but maybe 15 pounds.

Now, all of their stores just seem like a non-interested manager bought the place, pays the help nothing, and is only concerned with cost savings. ONLY.

Pass now....

Old 06-18-2015, 03:12 PM

826 posts, read 1,125,832 times
I used to eat at subway quite frequently a few years ago, when I was travelling all the time for work. Probably went a couple of years without eating at one and went back and was really disappointed. It seemed like the quality went downhill or I just started eating better stuff. Except for when they had the $2 meatballs around the holidays I haven't been back.

The drive thru subways must be a regional thing. Here in the South Carolina they are pretty standard, and ones without the drive thru are far less common. Some are stand alone stores but others are end units in strip malls. That being said I would always go in, the sandwiches that come out of the drive thru generally aren't prepared as well. Generally way too light on the condiments and toppings.

Which Wich or Jimmy Johns are my go to place for subs now, but both a bit of drive and generally packed. Publix also makes some made to order subs in the Deli.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:15 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't eat at Jimmy John's because I disagree strongly with the owner's behavior. He pays lowest-dollar, makes employers sign a non-compete clause (for making sandwiches!), was a leader in the anti-Obamacare movement, and does everything he possibly can to avoid paying his fair share of state and Federal taxes. In addition to that, I'm really turned off that goes to Africa to kill elephants, leopards, etc., as a "sport." To me, that's a real turn-off and I don't give my hard-earned money to people like that.
UPDATED: Jimmy John is a big man.* With the photos to prove it. : SPlog : Smile Politely
10 companies that shamelessly tried to duck Obamacare - Salon.com
Jimmy John's Enforces An 'Insanely Restrictive' Dress Code On Franchisees And Their Workers

That said, I did have his sandwiches several times before I learned all that. They were so much better than Subway's in terms of quality, I wondered at that time how Subway could stay in business. Subway's trying to be all things to all people. Egg whites, flat bread, fake pizzas, etc., etc. They should concentrate on making a decent sandwich for a fair price. I would suspect the reason the $5 footlong disappeared is because they have too many other bases to cover these days. McDonald's made the same mistake. Too many choices, none of them all that great.

Thanks for the information. That may actually sway me to not go there. Interesting.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,939 times
I still love Subway..... I'd eat it daily if I could. The problem is, they got too expensive. I can get a better quality 6" at Quiznos or the local shops here for the same price...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products