U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 09:47 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,060,132 times

Advertisements

So, I am in the process of buying a new mattress and box springs, which is actually the first new mattress and box springs of my adult life (I have still been sleeping on the old mattress and box springs that my parents gave me in my teenage years). I am still in the process of trying to narrow down exactly what mattress that I want to buy but have looked at a variety of mattresses - Sealy, Stearns and Foster (which is made by Sealy), Tempurpedic, etc.

My real question is about the negotiation process and trying to figure out how large the markup is on mattresses and just how to determine what fair price is? It isn't all that easy to do, as mattresses aren't like cars in that we can't easily find out what the store is paying for them. It also isn't easy to do comparison shopping across stores, as the mattress manufacturers try to confuse buyers by giving unique names for the items that are sold in some of the stores (ie a mattress might be called "Luxemberg" at one store but be called "Davincy" at another store despite the fact they are probably the exact same mattress).

The mattresses that I have looked at are generally in the $1,200 to $1,800 range. I am wondering what would be a fair target to shoot for. 20 percent off? 30 percent off? 40 percent off? I know it can vary from store to store depending on how hungry that store is to get some sales. Typically, I have been in know big box retailers like Ashley Furniture, Haverty's, etc.

Is anyone willing to share their mattress buying experiences here and give an idea on how much they were able to negotiate the price(s) down? It would certainly help me in figuring out what might be possible price-wise. I certainly don't want to leave hundreds of dollars on the table if I don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 09:52 PM

39,907 posts, read 57,741,604 times
Try this:

Mattress negotiation: How to get the best price on a mattress | The Mattress Nerd
How to Buy a Mattress: Advice from a Mattress Salesman
https://goo.gl/V9UtQe

Friend of mine got a $2500 mattress for $1500 with free delivery, and about $300 of add-ons thrown in.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or