U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:47 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,828,485 times

Advertisements

if it doesn't have a buy it now price I don't bother with it .. I`ve never won a bid ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 02:02 PM

296 posts, read 241,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I always bid the highest I'm will to pay for an item in the last minute, that's how I win items. I don't even bother bidding before that but be sure you're online and ready to bid (you can do this by hitting the big now button and it will tell you).

Good luck!

I've been using ebay for years and this is the best way to do it. Placing the highest amount you are willing to spend with about 5 seconds on the clock is your best chance to win the bid at the lowest price. Good luck and happy bidding.

Lou

Old 06-22-2015, 02:44 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,425,979 times
I'm not willing to tie myself to the computer to wait for the last few seconds to bid so I use a sniping service. With a sniping service you place a maximum bid and in the last 2 seconds your bid is placed, and there is no time for other bidders to chip away at your bid. If you just enter your max bid on ebay other bidders will just chip away at it until you are out.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:44 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,133,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I'm not willing to tie myself to the computer to wait for the last few seconds to bid so I use a sniping service. With a sniping service you place a maximum bid and in the last 2 seconds your bid is placed, and there is no time for other bidders to chip away at your bid. If you just enter your max bid on ebay other bidders will just chip away at it until you are out.

I never saw the point of a sniping service. If I put in my max bid, what do I care if someone beat me-even if only by a penny-at the last second?

Those that use one-what's the advantage?

Old 06-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 2 days ago)

15,527 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
Thank you!

What's more helpful.. an automatic bid, or an 11th hour bid?

I've checked online, the item is well priced.

When you say that you had to, "plan carefully"... what do you mean?
11th hour bid. I place my bid about 30 seconds before the auction ends. That makes it more likely for me to win. But I don't go above what I am willing to pay. That way, when I make that one last minute bid, if someone's max bid is above mine and I lose out on the item, I have no regrets.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:19 PM

12,434 posts, read 10,904,621 times
What happens when multiple people are using sniping services?

Old 06-22-2015, 04:23 PM

10,604 posts, read 4,937,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I never saw the point of a sniping service. If I put in my max bid, what do I care if someone beat me-even if only by a penny-at the last second?

Those that use one-what's the advantage?
If everyone placed their max bid at the outset and stuck with it, there would be no advantage. But human psychology being what it is, that's not what happens. People start bidding and get emotional and competitive and end up bidding way more than they intended and what the item should be worth. Sniping helps keep that bidding war from ever happening.

For example, let's say there is a widget you and I both want. I am willing to pay $9 so I place my max bid for $9. You are willing to pay $10 so if you placed your max bid at $10 you would end up winning it. Except now I see I am going to lose the auction and I decide I'll go $11 max, no more I swear. So you get miffed and go $12. And so on. On the other hand, if you had placed a snipe bid for $10, I would have happily watched the time running down with me about to win it for $9 until your $10 snipe comes in and scores the win at the buzzer.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
What happens when multiple people are using sniping services?
Then it operates as the maximum bidding process should really work - the person who was willing to pay the most will win (provided it's more than the additional bid increment).

Old 06-22-2015, 04:26 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,133,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If everyone placed their max bid at the outset and stuck with it, there would be no advantage. But human psychology being what it is, that's not what happens. People start bidding and get emotional and competitive and end up bidding way more than they intended and what the item should be worth. Sniping helps keep that bidding war from ever happening.

For example, let's say there is a widget you and I both want. I am willing to pay $9 so I place my max bid for $9. You are willing to pay $10 so if you placed your max bid at $10 you would end up winning it. Except now I see I am going to lose the auction and I decide I'll go $11 max, no more I swear. So you get miffed and go $12. And so on. On the other hand, if you had placed a snipe bid for $10, I would have happily watched the time running down with me about to win it for $9 until your $10 snipe comes in and scores the win at the buzzer.
So, as I thought. No advantage to a bidder that actually puts in the highest they will go.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
So, as I thought. No advantage to a bidder that actually puts in the highest they will go.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.
How do you draw that conclusion? You can put in your max bid either manually or via snipe. If by using a snipe it prevents an emotional bidding war and you get the item for your max bid or less whereas doing it manually results in you getting outbid, how is that not an advantage to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products