U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:34 AM

6,871 posts, read 8,457,158 times

Advertisements

The difference would be that all participants would be equal. Many of us have never heard of a sniping service, and I'm sure it is not free.

Never said that ebay should care one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 08:43 AM

10,604 posts, read 4,937,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The difference would be that all participants would be equal. Many of us have never heard of a sniping service, and I'm sure it is not free.
Well you're wrong, there are lots of free sniping services. And everyone has an equal opportunity. The rules are clear and consistent for any bidder who wants to shed their ignorance.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:53 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,133,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
If you literally don't care, why are you bidding in the first place?

Maybe there is a different mindset in Moscow...
I find it humorous how much you care about my lack of caring.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:43 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,520,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I always bid the highest I'm will to pay for an item in the last minute, that's how I win items. I don't even bother bidding before that but be sure you're online and ready to bid (you can do this by hitting the big now button and it will tell you).

Good luck!
I totally agree. The last second bid at your max price usually does it.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:58 PM

372 posts, read 419,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I totally agree. The last second bid at your max price usually does it.
Bingo!

You are absolutely right!!!

Whew... I watched that clock tick down... and with 15 seconds to go, entered my top bid in an odd number.

and won the bid

THANK YOU ALL for your guidance and help.

I've never done this before, and can see why it could be addicting... what an adrenaline rush of excitement.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:56 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,425,979 times
I collect old pictures from 1 little town for a historical research project, most are one of a kind items. You'd think they would sell for pennies, but they don't, and I've never figured out why other people bid them so high. Ebay auctions close 24 hours a day 7 days a week, I'm just not willing to tie myself to the computer for the rest of my life so I use a sniping service. I've put some crazy high bids in, fortunately they rarely go that high. A few years back there was a collection of photos offered on ebay from a previous researchers collection, bid sat at $25 for days, in the last second 6 snipers + my bid were submitted, I won the auction but it was not cheap. That is what happens when multiple snipe bids come in, and why I use a sniping service.

If its a $5 widget that you can buy all day for $5, then there is no point in paying more than $5. A lot of the stuff sold on ebay is a bit more obscure, and some of it is 1 of a kind, values on these are determined mainly by how many people want at that moment in time, if there is only 1 it sells cheap, a week later there may be 5 bidders so it sells high.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:03 PM

11,562 posts, read 8,805,997 times
Not reading all the replies but I've really given up on the stress inducing last minute bids. Too dramatic for me. I don't want to bid more than I intended just to out bid someone. So I figure what the most would be that I would pay and bid that. If someone wants it for more, they can have it. If I really REALLY want something I'm willing to pay more. Hopefully no one will run up the price but a lot of the "last minute" bidders get thrown because they go up in small increments and my highest is so far up there they don't have time to take those baby steps up at the last minute.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:37 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,379,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i used to buy more than i do lately .. you ever had the IRS after you for sales tax on ebay purchases ? i have ..
Really??? Do tell. I buy a lot on e bay

Old 06-23-2015, 05:00 PM

3,198 posts, read 1,879,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I find it humorous how much you care about my lack of caring.
I lol that you think I care about your lack of caring

Old 06-23-2015, 05:19 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,133,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I lol that you think I care about your lack of caring
Thanks for the grin. Appears we are both careless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products