U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 06:17 PM

2,805 posts, read 4,073,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
OP, I hope you haven't bid yet, because sniping is the way to go. Placing your bid in the last few seconds, prevents another bidder from placing a higher bid. I used a sniping service, as I'm not quick on the draw. lol I think it was Gixon. You can google sites and the free ones work great. Good luck.
For something that is in big demand, sniping is the ONLY way to go. I have bought gently used Louis Vuitton items that I had to use a sniping service. Other stuff that is not so "hot", just keeping an eye out as suggested works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 08:16 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,828,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
Really??? Do tell. I buy a lot on e bay
i`ll have to study that a bit but there is a line on your 1040 form that ask how much you have bought from out of state that did not tax you .. it only happened to me once several years ago that i got a notice from the IRS .. they knew how much i spent and asked me if i wished to pay taxes on it or have them audit me ... .. when i bought my new car in tennessee i did not have to pay tennessee taxes .. when i bought my tag i had to pay alabama taxes ...

Old 06-23-2015, 08:47 PM

8,610 posts, read 6,399,061 times
I was bidding on a $$ guitar once and got an email telling me I lost. Two days later I got an email from the seller demanding his money and threatening to take me to court. During the same time some guy watching the bidding saw I lost and emailed telling me he would sell me a like model for less. Guess which one I now own?

The seller went for the next highest bid - me - thinking I still wanted it. Don't tell people they lost when in fact they haven't.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:25 PM

20,927 posts, read 11,731,982 times
In more than 15 years of eBay membership, I've never won a bid without sniping. I can't count the number I've lost by only a dollar or less by someone who sniped while I slept on my high bid.

I don't use a sniping service, I do it myself this way:

Log on and open the bid page during the last five or so minutes.
Make the high bid. Presumably, this is still a reasonable amount below your actual maximum.
Open a new window and set another bid a bit higher, but don't press the final button to enter it.
Open three more successive windows, setting successively higher bids, but again, don't press the final buttons to enter the bids.
Open a final window (a total of five) with your maximum bid, but don't press the final button to enter it.
Watch the bidding as it gets into the final minute, waiting for the final ten second point.
When it hits the ten second mark, begin hitting the final enter bid button of each window in succession. Don't wait to see any results, just hit each one like clockwork. The point is to "storm" the system with your own bids.
When I do this, I win; when I don't do this, I lose.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:56 PM

997 posts, read 892,317 times
Esnipe has saved me dozens if not hundreds of dollars since I finally discovered it. I had been bidding on eBay for many years before, but I often lost with my "max bid" entered days earlier. Bidders who were willing to stay up till 3 a.m. to bid at the last minute often overbid me at the last minute. (Of course, since I'm on the east coast and they were maybe on the west coast, it was only midnight for them.)

Anyway, Esnipe changed everything. I make my max bid based on what I'm really willing to pay for the item, not on last-minute, adrenalin-fueled, competitive feelings. I've sometimes lost. That's OK. But when I've won, it's often well below what I thought was the high point.

It's not free, but it's VERY reasonable. And this way, I go to bed and know that someone else will be doing the last-minute bidding for me.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:45 AM

5,605 posts, read 2,933,428 times
I've sold a few things on eBay, but mostly I buy stuff. I list the things I want to buy in one of three categories:

1) I'd like to have it, but I'm not dead set on getting it. This means I put a low end or minimum bid on something with the expectation that if I get it, great, if not, no big deal. I'm probably only bidding in the first place because if I get the item at the bid I enter, I'll have gotten a real bargain.

2) I'd really, really like to get this item. This means I put the largest bid on that I think the item is worth. I usually only shop in a few categories and I know what things should be selling for and how popular it will be. So I set a bid as to what I think I should pay for it and if I get the item, I'm happy and if I don't, then I'm glad I didn't overpay.

3) I absolutely must get this item. I for sure check the popularity of the item to see if anyone else is going to want it, then I put on the largest bid I can afford, or more if I think I can. If I'm able to, I'll sit by the computer as the auction is ending and I don't worry about any snipes. I already know I can outdo a snipe bid. I have, a couple of times. This is the kind of item I'll eat dog food for a week in order to be able to afford. Fortunately, I've won a couple of these auctions at not too high a price more often than not.

A couple of things though. I really do read feedback and I won't bid on certain items if the sellers have a lot of problems. I look for reasons why the negative feedback is left and if the seller has responded appropriately to the feedback. There is one seller now that I would buy from, but his/her nasty responses to everyone who leaves a negative (and there are a lot) made me decide to save my money.

The other thing I do is buy items I am very familiar with so I know what the condition and the price should be. And while I don't email a seller much anymore after I buy something, I do drop them a note letting them know their item has arrived and that I've left them feedback. Courtesy never hurts. As to feedback left for me, well, you can't force people to do this and if some people forget, them's the breaks. I refuse to get my bowels in an uproar because someone has forgotten to leave me feedback.

So far I've only had three problems and I've gotten my money back in all three cases. In all three cases, the seller just up and disappeared. I think on two of them I didn't leave any feedback and on this last one, I left a neutral. As long as I got my money back, I don't see any reason to leave a negative and be a jerk about anything. Sometimes you get what you want and sometimes you don't. That's the nature of eBay.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:37 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,065,552 times
I think a lot depends on what you want to buy and how often it comes up for bid. If it's something that is pretty much always available, do your research by looking at the sold listings and snipe for the lowest lowest cost you see in the record. Sniping services will allow you to group your snipes so if you win one, it won't bid on the other items in the group. If you don't win, just try again on the next one. It might take you awhile, but eventually you'll get it for the price you want to pay.

If you're bidding on one-of-a-kind items or stuff that might come up for bid once in a blue moon, snipe for the maximum you are willing to pay for that item. I buy a lot of commodity things from eBay, but I also have a collection and some of the things I've bought have been so rare people who have been collecting in the same circle for much longer than me have never seen one.

I use gixen.com. It's free and has never failed me, though the upgraded service for $6 a year does add some nice perks.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:30 PM

58,698 posts, read 41,976,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
Yes, I understood the above.

So basically there is no additional "plan" or "strategy"... it's just entering the highest amount you're willing to pay for it, and then watching the bidding in case you're willing to bid higher.

Got it.. that's easy enough.

Thanks
Since you've said it's 'well-priced', if it has a 'Buy It Now' price you may want to consider using that if you fear losing it in a bidding war.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:26 AM

888 posts, read 623,173 times
Quote:
I've never done this before, and can see why it could be addicting... what an adrenaline rush of excitement.
Heh - maybe 10-15 years ago... not so much anymore, as nowadays it seems like 99% of listings are Buy-It-Now.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:40 PM

141 posts, read 131,439 times
Quote:
I've never placed an EBay bid before.

I found something I love... and have no idea what I'm doing.

Would you savvy shoppers help me please?

I use esnipe(dot) com. Great auto bidder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products