U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:29 AM

10,959 posts, read 15,249,600 times

Advertisements

Many have mentioned a sniping service. Does that just bid for you with 2 seconds left?

There are plenty of people using a BOT. It almost guarantees you do win the auction 90-100%. It bids after the other people bid with one second left. It bids faster than you can click your own mouse.

Use proxy bids. We are selling an item now and there are two bids. But, both bids have been placed by the same person. If we were bidding on an item where the highest bid was made by user ABC, and we see that ABC has another bid as well, it tells us that he has placed a higher bid but we have no idea what the bid amount is. This lets him bid say $5 and be the current high bidder. Then his proxy bid may be $9 which would be the most they are willing to pay. As you and I take turns bidding in increments of 25 cents or 50 cents, our bids are not the highest until we reach the $9 proxy bid entered by the person who originally bid $5. They will get a message from Ebay saying they have been outbid if you or I have bid $9.25 or $9.50. It they are able to get back to the auction then they have to decide if $9 is really the most they want to bid.

If you want an item are you willing to let someone else get it by paying 1 penny more? If you do then it sounds like you did not want the item. We have lost many auctions by 1 penny or a nickel, when we'd gladly have bid a penny or nickel higher but ran out of time.

We like to make our first bid early on. That way we get to see if others make a bid. We watch the bid list to see how many different people are bidding. Who is our competition and how many?

We like to bid with about a minute to go. Then see if we are out bid. If not and the bid increments are for example only a nickel or a quarter, we place another bid for say $1.26 with maybe 10 seconds left. Why that much more and why the extra penny? Those who will only make one bid at a time can not bid five bids all being 25 cents higher in ten seconds. The time will run out on them. But, if they succeed they still lose because we are high bidder because of that extra penny.

11 hours? Auctions are 12 hours as they wind down. A seller who does not like the current bid can cancel and end the auction if there are 12 or more hours left.

You can not win if others are using what we heard was called a BOT. It clicks your mouse every second or less and almost guarantees you do win.

Last edited by howard555; 07-14-2015 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 12:19 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,776,401 times
I'm wondering ... what's to keep the seller from having friends/family or even the seller using a different account to bid up the price?
How does EBay guard against that?

Old 07-18-2015, 12:51 PM

20,927 posts, read 11,731,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I'm wondering ... what's to keep the seller from having friends/family or even the seller using a different account to bid up the price?
Well, first of all, they might win.

But really, it's incumbent on every buyer to have established his own maximum price, and when that's reached...stop bidding.

There are certain things it makes no sense to "bid" on with the idea of getting a real good deal. Currently popular items that are available new on the shelves, for instance. For items like that, bidding is on a new item going to reach the shelf price anyway. If it's a popular item being sold used, that too is going to have a trending price that you can find out by investigated completed auctions.

You get real good deals on esoteric things that very few people want.

The biggest mystifying thing to me is that I'd like to buy an example of an old Yashica 124 twin-lens reflex film camera of the kind I bought in a pawn shop back in 1970 and made my first money as a photographer with. But those very same cameras--that were $250 new back then--are going for no less than that on eBay today and for as much as $400.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Nothing but if they buy it themselves they have the final value fees and any listing fees they paid. They can always submit a cancel with the real seller and get a refund.
Also, an item that sells and is then resold slowly becomes an item that may have some issue.
Why is it selling but the buyers never complete the auction?
Is the item a defect?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:57 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,776,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Nothing but if they buy it themselves they have the final value fees and any listing fees they paid. They can always submit a cancel with the real seller and get a refund.
Also, an item that sells and is then resold slowly becomes an item that may have some issue.
Why is it selling but the buyers never complete the auction?
Is the item a defect?
Oh yeah, forgot about the fee they have to pay EBay.
How can you tell whether a specific item is being resold again and again?

Old 07-22-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, forgot about the fee they have to pay EBay.
How can you tell whether a specific item is being resold again and again?
I'd record the item number. Also keep the link in your My Ebay to the item that you think was sold again or was won by the seller's friend as they tried to fish you into a higher bid. If it is relisted you should see this when you go to the item number or link to the original item.
You can also watch the seller's feedback for the same item to see if it did finally sell. You can also watch the seller's current list of items for sale and see if you detect the same exact item. It might have to be somewhat unique for it to be one of a kind. Post the link to the item if you can.

Sellers and buyers are all over the map on techniques. A seller had a item $5.96 or best offer. An offer was made of $5.00. "Unreasonable offer?" Seller made a counter offer of $7.00. We will not call their bluff and bid $7.00. It will stay with the seller until Ebay goes bankrupt before we buy the item. In a few weeks they may wish they had accepted the $5.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:18 PM

6,235 posts, read 6,116,095 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbbAMKn3z5Q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products