Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:12 AM

372 posts, read 534,004 times

Advertisements

I've never placed an EBay bid before.

I found something I love... and have no idea what I'm doing.

Would you savvy shoppers help me please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 07:22 AM

761 posts, read 832,828 times
Pretty simple, just click on the help: Online Customer Service

Watch out for automatic bidders. They have an upper limit and can cause you to keep bumping up your bid.
Sometimes, the 11th hour bids show up just when you think you have things locked up and they swoop in and grab the item.

If you search online, maybe you can find a better deal on the item you want, unless it's a collectible.
I won 1 bid and that was on a pocket watch and I had to plan carefully to grab it.

Best of luck....read the basics first, though.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:55 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,583 times
Yep. Just place your bid and then keep an eye on it in case you get outbid.
eBay will send you an email if you do get outbid, but I usually drag a link to the auction on to my toolbar (or bookmark) so I can check it myself.

Bid the max amount you are willing to pay. Your first bid will show up as the least amount possible over the starting bid. (ex: starting bid +$1.00) If you are the only bidder, it will stay at the lowest bid and you may get it for less. The auction price will only go up to that max if someone is bidding against you.

If you win, pay the seller right away. You can see this in your eBay account - buying, purchases page. Go to ebay.com and click on My Ebay link, usually at the upper right side of your screen.

Remember, there may be a shipping charge which will be added to your bid on the final price. If the auction says 'free shipping' there will be no extra cost above your bid.

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Pretty simple, just click on the help: Online Customer Service

Watch out for automatic bidders. They have an upper limit and can cause you to keep bumping up your bid.
Sometimes, the 11th hour bids show up just when you think you have things locked up and they swoop in and grab the item.

If you search online, maybe you can find a better deal on the item you want, unless it's a collectible.
I won 1 bid and that was on a pocket watch and I had to plan carefully to grab it.

Best of luck....read the basics first, though.

Thank you!

What's more helpful.. an automatic bid, or an 11th hour bid?

I've checked online, the item is well priced.

When you say that you had to, "plan carefully"... what do you mean?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNan View Post
Yep. Just place your bid and then keep an eye on it in case you get outbid.
eBay will send you an email if you do get outbid, but I usually drag a link to the auction on to my toolbar (or bookmark) so I can check it myself.

Bid the max amount you are willing to pay. Your first bid will show up as the least amount possible over the starting bid. (ex: starting bid +$1.00) If you are the only bidder, it will stay at the lowest bid and you may get it for less. The auction price will only go up to that max if someone is bidding against you.

If you win, pay the seller right away. You can see this in your eBay account - buying, purchases page. Go to ebay.com and click on My Ebay link, usually at the upper right side of your screen.

Remember, there may be a shipping charge which will be added to your bid on the final price. If the auction says 'free shipping' there will be no extra cost above your bid.

Good luck!

Thank you!!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 AM

761 posts, read 832,828 times
How automatic bidding works:
  • When you place a bid, enter the maximum amount you're willing to pay for the item. No-one can see this amount.
  • We'll keep bidding for you until the bidding reaches your maximum amount, or you are the high bidder. We'll email you each time we bid.
  • If you're outbid, we'll email you in case you want to increase your bid.
  • The winner of the item is the one with the highest bid.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
How automatic bidding works:
  • When you place a bid, enter the maximum amount you're willing to pay for the item. No-one can see this amount.
  • We'll keep bidding for you until the bidding reaches your maximum amount, or you are the high bidder. We'll email you each time we bid.
  • If you're outbid, we'll email you in case you want to increase your bid.
  • The winner of the item is the one with the highest bid.

Yes, I understood the above.

So basically there is no additional "plan" or "strategy"... it's just entering the highest amount you're willing to pay for it, and then watching the bidding in case you're willing to bid higher.

Got it.. that's easy enough.

Thanks

Old 06-22-2015, 11:31 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
OP, I hope you haven't bid yet, because sniping is the way to go. Placing your bid in the last few seconds, prevents another bidder from placing a higher bid. I used a sniping service, as I'm not quick on the draw. lol I think it was Gixon. You can google sites and the free ones work great. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:41 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
I always bid the highest I'm will to pay for an item in the last minute, that's how I win items. I don't even bother bidding before that but be sure you're online and ready to bid (you can do this by hitting the big now button and it will tell you).

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2015, 12:28 PM

Thank you breeinmo. and adventuregurl....

I knew there had to be a way people scored on these bids.

I already placed a bid, but then let it drop when I was outbid... I figured I'd go back in at the last minute and try.

*What's a sniping service... gotta look at that one up.

Awesome, much gratitude!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products