Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:14 PM

32,525 posts, read 47,575,618 times

Advertisements

I usually wait for the coupon book to arrive. I see what has a coupon that I will use. I buy coffee, dried cranberries, soft soap, Tide, toilet paper, paper towels, ziploc bags when there is a coupon.

Costco always has the best price on Tillamook cheese. My son buys boutique beer there. I just bought 3 cases of synthetic motor oil (on coupon this month). Their avocados are usually good. I buy cases of Kirkland bottled water when we go camping.

I just bought a three pack of plastic storage boxes that I will use to start cuttings. I sometimes buy shoes there.

Their towels and bedding tend to be good for a good price.

I've purchased bare root fruit trees there.

You can't beat the price for eyeglasses.

Their meat tends to be very high quality, but I buy meat at Cash & Carry in the 20-30 pound whole chunks.

Oh yeah... I always use the coupon for the big bags of peanut M&Ms.

The bakery items are always good; best croissants of anywhere. Lots of people buy the rotisserie chickens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 03:08 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,207,240 times
The bf wants us to join Costco. No idea why as I have a Sams membership and barely use that..

Old 06-24-2015, 04:10 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,324,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
The bf wants us to join Costco. No idea why as I have a Sams membership and barely use that..

Costco takes AMEX, Sam's does not.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:00 PM

807 posts, read 892,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I usually wait for the coupon book to arrive. I see what has a coupon that I will use.

<trimmed>

The bakery items are always good; best croissants of anywhere. Lots of people buy the rotisserie chickens
That's a great reminder, I do the same. The monthly discounts outlined in the coupon book greatly improves the value I get out of my purchases there.

Same on the bakery, I will occasionally splurge on the cookies or muffins when the sweet tooth takes over. They're not premium level gourmet but they're of good quality and are a good value. There's also the fresh bread. I frequently pick up either the rosemary loaf or the sourdough. They're especially good after being heated in a toaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Costco takes AMEX, Sam's does not.
Just a heads up, Costco will be switching over to VISA starting April of next year.

Costco names Citi, Visa as credit card partners [usatoday.com]

Old 06-24-2015, 05:03 PM

5,122 posts, read 4,455,156 times
Salad greens
Marinated artichoke hearts
Crackers
Cheeses
Croissants
Frozen appetizers
Dried cranberries & apricots
Pistachios
Cashews
Chips & popcorn
Sparkling apple cider
Laundry detergent
Toilet paper
Foil
Trash bags
Batteries
Computer paper & ink

Old 06-24-2015, 05:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,244,209 times
But on all these lists ...one thing may be organic.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:40 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,193,500 times
Frozen organic veggies and fruits, organic meats, chicken, beef, and lamb. Trident frozen salmon patties. Organic Power Greens. Cheese, dried cranberries, organic sun dried tomatoes.

I binge-buy staples like laundry detergent, tin foil, or trash bags for the whole year, when they go on sale.

If I find a cute skirt or something I love, I will buy 3 of them at once so I still have them down the road when they no longer carry them - because you cant beat the price at other clothing stores.

And of course the 1.50 foot long all beef hotdog special with all you can drink pop!

Oh, and gas on the way out!

Old 06-24-2015, 05:42 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,353,930 times
Costco is now 90 miles away so I only go every 4 or 5 months and get:

dog food, dry and canned - nowadays just 10 bags but it used to be 20 or even 30
dog treats when they have them
dog prescription - carprofen
cat food, dry and canned
toilet paper
coffee
laundry soap
dishwasher soap
dryer sheets
canned chicken
chicken broth
baked beans

When I lived just a few miles from one I also bought some fruits and veggies and other frozen and chilled foods but it's not realistic to do so now.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:45 PM

14,862 posts, read 11,997,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We are going soon and I can't remember the favorites. It's too big to go aisle by aisle so I thought I'd ask what are your favorites. We only go about once every year and I want to make this trip worthwhile.
Many thanks.

My husband loves the Kirkland brand Columbian coffee they sell in 3 lb containers for about $9-10. It is his favorite coffee (and he makes the coffee in our house and its good) so we buy stock up on that when we shop there.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:53 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,882,423 times
I load up on frustration. People seem to develop the shoppers' equivalent of road rage in Costco. They block the aisle with their carts, block the aisle with their bodies while sexting on cell phones or just doing nothing, run up on people with their carts, cut in front of everyone else in line, and I won't even go what a hassle it is to try to find a parking space. And although there are some good deal, many things aren't a bargain. What a mess! I have convinced my wife not to renew our membership next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products