U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 06:54 PM

10,108 posts, read 7,365,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafHoney View Post
We don't go to Costco (I'm too cheap to pay for the membership), but we have a Cash & Carry here that's a smaller version, with no membership fees. It caters mostly to restaurants, but they always have REALLY good prices on produce, which is great for our salads and when we do juices/smoothies. I usually get on a bi-weekly basis:

Green bell peppers (6pk)
Yellow onions (12pk)
Bananas
Cucumbers (6pk)
Mangoes (usually 8 in a box)
Strawberries (4lbs)
Romaine leaves (6pk)
Carrots (4lbs)
Goat Cheese log - I don't even know how big it is, but it's big, lasts about a month
Feta cheese - 3lb bag. More like once a month
A few half gallon cartons of Half & Half because it's so cheap
Butter sticks if I'm going to be baking

Usually that whole thing costs between $30-40.

They also sell ALL the Torani and DaVinci syrups (there's an entire aisle just for them) and they are super cheap. DaVinci is $3, and Torani is like $3.98 or something. Compared to the $7 in grocery stores. Only thing I can't buy there is the meat, and only because it's not individual sizes. Prices are cheap, but I don't have room for a 20lb roast!
Or if you are like me, the will to pay the $200 for that 20 lb roast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 06:55 PM

34,455 posts, read 43,301,321 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN3KmmJDwIs

Old 06-24-2015, 08:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,289,855 times
I'm only a 10-15 minute drive from Costco. Was going every 1-2 weeks with a list, but haven't been for a month or so.

Some of the produce like mushrooms, red onions, blueberries, and potatoes is a good deal if you can eat that much before it goes bad. Smart balance is usually cheaper than the grocery store if there is a sale. The bacon is some of the best rated for flavor and is a good price. Cheese is hit or miss on value depending on sales and so is milk and other basic cooking ingredients. If they are having a sale, I'll stock up on laundry and dishwasher soap. Clothes are often inexpensive so if they have the right size will let the kids grab basic t-shirts, shorts, swimsuits, etc.

I like the samples and will sometimes buy whatever I'm trying. I'm finding I've spoiled my crew and they would prefer that all of their meals are home cooked or we go out to eat at some of the local restaurants. We don't eat a lot of prepared foods. My kids do love some of the frozen lo mein and egg rolls.

Currently, trying out the Kirkland brand of kitty litter. If we permanently make the switch, we'll save some money.

My husband buys the disposable coffee cups because he can't seem to keep up the washable ones. It's a frustration saver.

Some snack foods are a decent deal. I sometimes get them for school snacks.

If I didn't live so close, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:07 PM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
9,021 posts, read 5,423,253 times
I usually go once a month, because I just don't have the space to store a lot of back-stock. Typical run will consist of:

Coffee beans
Canned tuna or salmon
Pasta
Frozen veggies
Laundry and dishwasher soap (if we need it)
Frozen fish
Frozen chicken breasts
Whatever fresh produce is in season

Old 06-24-2015, 09:13 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,275,528 times
Last trip was....frozen wild shrimp, chicken tenderlions, hamburger, take and bake pizza, paper towels, edemame noodles (first time buying...we tried a sample...lol), raspberry, dried tart cherries, bottle of Crown Royal, shredded cheese, bacon bits, diet coke, eggs, wrinkle cream.

We also buy the organic chicken brooth, sometimes the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches to have on hand for mornings I just can't adult....and what ever variety of meat they have that appeals to us.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:10 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,593,304 times
Organic skinless chicken breasts, Top sirloin, Frozen wild salmon filets, Frozen tilapia filets with pesto sauce, Frozen shrimp, Frozen berries and strawberries
Organic milk (lasts longer), 0% fat free Fage yogurt
Kale salad mix, Fruit bowl, Peaches in season
Rotisserie chicken
Fish oil, Sugar free Kirkland calcium chews, Vitamin D, Prilosec, Probiotics
Disposable shavers, Dental floss, Neutrogena make up remover towelettes, Sometimes deodorant or lotion if I like what they are carrying
Halloween candy (I need a lot)
Chicken broth
Printer ink
Batteries
Electric toothbrush and spare heads
Kitchen trash bags, Dishwashing liquid, Windex, Paper towels
A slice of their supreme pizza as I head out the door

I'm single so have to be careful to buy meats in single portions or fresh fruits and vegetables that I can eat within a week or so. I try not to buy prepared foods but sometimes get crab cakes. Don't care for their coffee - they only sell the Starbucks in French Roast which is too dark for me. Don't care for most of their fresh fruit and have problems with some of the fresh vegetables going bad too soon (the mini cucumbers I bought a couple of weeks ago were already slimy when I got them home). I read someplace where liquid detergent and fabric softener should be used within six months or it starts to deteriorate so stopped buying those items. Have not tried their TP but I am rather picky about my TP. Also I will start buying something that I really like and they will discontinue it in six months which is a drag (e.g., frozen salmon bites, vegetable soufflés).

Old 06-24-2015, 10:38 PM

13,061 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It's tuff because I've gone organic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
But on all these lists ...one thing may be organic.
Costco is the biggest organic grocer - Business Insider

Old 06-24-2015, 10:40 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,275,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
They have plenty or organic options...I just don't buy them becuse I've not fallen for the hype.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:59 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,357,358 times
Free samples, amIright??

Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 AM

23,504 posts, read 30,102,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There is a good selection of organic and there is also a pretty good handful of gluten-free products, many of them are very good quality. It's hard to find decent tasting gluten-free products and Costco sells quite a few of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products