Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:26 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times

Advertisements

Sams is more convienent for us but I would try Cosco if they build one closer. We go mostly for paper products, Bisquick, nuts, coffee , tea and mostly stuff that is not perishable. We have a counter depth fridge which was a mistake as it doesn't hold as much as promised so not that much room in the freezer. Also, with only two of us and no pets, we don't need large quantities. Try not to go to Sams but about once every 6 weeks. I will stop and buy gas if on the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We live about 45 minute ride on the interstate so it's not just a casual "Let's stop by COSTCO". We spent $500 this trip which is another reason we don't go too often. I feel for the effort, time and gas involved we should really make each trip worthwhile. We take a freezer chest for the cold things and we have lots of nice storage shelves in the garage as well as extra fridge. Everytime I come back from there i realize all the things i wish i had gotten and never regret the things i did get. it all gets used eventually.

Our membership expires soon. Do they wait a certain period of time and then discount membership to get you back?
Not in my experience.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:27 PM

807 posts, read 897,567 times
Quote:
We live about 45 minute ride on the interstate so it's not just a casual "Let's stop by COSTCO". We spent $500 this trip which is another reason we don't go too often. I feel for the effort, time and gas involved we should really make each trip worthwhile. We take a freezer chest for the cold things and we have lots of nice storage shelves in the garage as well as extra fridge. Everytime I come back from there i realize all the things i wish i had gotten and never regret the things i did get. it all gets used eventually.

Our membership expires soon. Do they wait a certain period of time and then discount membership to get you back?
Same here, I've never heard of that happening.

They have occasional promotions for signing up membership though. During July of last year they gave signups a $10 or $20 cash card depending on the membership level. I don't think it applied to renewals. But the promotions are more often coupons for a few free items like the rotisserie chicken and such.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:16 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
There is only one Costco on this island and it's about an hour's drive away so my friend and I go there about every other month. She has a little car which gets great gas mileage so we usually take her car and I drive her since she doesn't like to drive that length of trip. Usually it's just the two of us since we occasionally will pretty much fill up her little car so adding a third person who would take up half the back seat as well as add items to the load wouldn't work real well.

We almost always have lunch, I like their frozen mocha coffee and chicken salad. She will usually either get the same or salad and soda.

As for what we buy, she usually gets several bags of dog food so I'm along to put them on the cart since it's too big for her to move easily. Then she will get some baked goods, some produce and some coffee. She will usually get some frozen items for when she doesn't want to cook or is leaving the boys (her husband & son) to fend for themselves.

I'll usually get blocks of cheese, a bag of bread flour, sometimes 3# bag of yeast, cases of canned goods (corn, peas & refried beans, usually) and occasionally big cans of tuna. Sometimes butter, but we don't use a lot of that anymore. I used to get nuts, but the price has gone up too much.

We always check for the asterisks which mean discontinued item so we can buy a lot of it if it's something we want, but I'd not known of the other codes, those are good to know. We also pretty much know how much the items would be at our local grocery since when the items are on sale at our local grocery, they are sometimes less than Costco's prices.

We used to like to get mustard in gallon sized containers for a really inexpensive price, but they don't have the gallon sized mustard anymore. No more gallon sized pickles, either. I'd buy those just to get the gallon sized jars although the pickles weren't too bad.

Our Costco used to stock lumber, paint and building supplies, but they stopped when Lowe's and Home DePot moved into town. They used to sell some furniture but now there's some furniture stores in town, so they don't bring in much of that anymore, either. It's interesting to see how their merchandise changes depending on what other stores show up.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:20 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,604,545 times
Quote:

Wow. Sounds like an adventure all its own!

Old 06-26-2015, 02:38 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
I always really load up on my last haul before it expires, so I don't have to pay to renew every 12 months exactly.

This year I waited 3 months after it expired till I went back to renew, and never received any promotion in that time frame.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:22 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
Berries and toilet paper.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
I'm going to re-up my membership just to buy hearing aids. They are a fraction of the cost anywhere else - top of the line for around $800 each. I have a new eyeglass prescription too, but will probably just get lenses instead of frames. Still a lot cheaper at Costco. I'm shopping for a new front projection TV and the projector I'm looking at (3D high def) costs $2k retail. I'm going to check to see if I can get it at Costco.

For groceries, we have a local grocery chain that has comparable prices and a better selection than Costco. You absolutely can't beat Costco for major purchases, though. I bought I big screen TV for my mother a while back, and they were 20% under Best Buy. I would never pony up the $50 membership just for groceries, but for major stuff it's a no-brainer.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There is only one Costco on this island and it's about an hour's drive away so my friend and I go there about every other month. She has a little car which gets great gas mileage so we usually take her car and I drive her since she doesn't like to drive that length of trip. Usually it's just the two of us since we occasionally will pretty much fill up her little car so adding a third person who would take up half the back seat as well as add items to the load wouldn't work real well.

We almost always have lunch, I like their frozen mocha coffee and chicken salad. She will usually either get the same or salad and soda.

As for what we buy, she usually gets several bags of dog food so I'm along to put them on the cart since it's too big for her to move easily. Then she will get some baked goods, some produce and some coffee. She will usually get some frozen items for when she doesn't want to cook or is leaving the boys (her husband & son) to fend for themselves.

I'll usually get blocks of cheese, a bag of bread flour, sometimes 3# bag of yeast, cases of canned goods (corn, peas & refried beans, usually) and occasionally big cans of tuna. Sometimes butter, but we don't use a lot of that anymore. I used to get nuts, but the price has gone up too much.

We always check for the asterisks which mean discontinued item so we can buy a lot of it if it's something we want, but I'd not known of the other codes, those are good to know. We also pretty much know how much the items would be at our local grocery since when the items are on sale at our local grocery, they are sometimes less than Costco's prices.

We used to like to get mustard in gallon sized containers for a really inexpensive price, but they don't have the gallon sized mustard anymore. No more gallon sized pickles, either. I'd buy those just to get the gallon sized jars although the pickles weren't too bad.

Our Costco used to stock lumber, paint and building supplies, but they stopped when Lowe's and Home DePot moved into town. They used to sell some furniture but now there's some furniture stores in town, so they don't bring in much of that anymore, either. It's interesting to see how their merchandise changes depending on what other stores show up.
Costco's sweet breads (cinnamon or orange loaf) are phenomenally good! Costco also has good meat. The coffee is good, but I prefer fresh roasted beans. I worked in an office once where someone did a Costco coffee run for dark roast beans once every month or so and every body drank it.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:13 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
I buy everything I can at Costco. Love that company. May keep membership even after move is completed. Costco will be 160 miles away then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products