U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 07:00 AM

36,494 posts, read 44,691,485 times

Advertisements

We are going soon and I can't remember the favorites. It's too big to go aisle by aisle so I thought I'd ask what are your favorites. We only go about once every year and I want to make this trip worthwhile.
Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 08:24 AM

13,293 posts, read 21,214,154 times
My regular purchases are nuts, coffee, frozen domestic wild caught shrimp (we got a bad batch of the imported frozen shrimp, never again!), all meats, bagels, pita chips, paper towels, dog food, plastic wrap (the Kirkland brand 2 pack, lasts me years), and pimento cheese with jalapeno. Also contact lens solutions and sleep aids.

Everything else is an impulse buy, and there are plenty of them!

Old 06-24-2015, 09:31 AM

14,415 posts, read 24,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We are going soon and I can't remember the favorites. It's too big to go aisle by aisle so I thought I'd ask what are your favorites. We only go about once every year and I want to make this trip worthwhile.
Many thanks.

Do you actually join for one trip? Or do you as many, twist the arm of a member to come with them?

I last belonged in 2005 but ... usually only buy salad greens and discounted clothing on the few occasions I have gone with friends.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:00 AM

13,111 posts, read 25,206,072 times
Kirkland brand Keurig pod coffee, 100 pods for $30 when on sale. Those pods are EXPENSIVE so I buy Costco's brand.
Kitchen garbage bags
Contractor garbage bags to line the trash can.
Steaks
Dishwasher soap Cascade
Laundry soap Arm & Hammer
Advil
Claritin

Anything else is impulse, so thankfully I go only every 2-3 months

Old 06-24-2015, 10:22 AM

11,288 posts, read 12,819,784 times
I have no idea what a Costco is. Not one anyplace close to me.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:30 AM

25,629 posts, read 30,968,677 times
Too big to go aisle by aisle and you only go once a year?

Sheesh I'm there once at least every week and a half. Well I buy gas there so...

Ok let's get down to basics-

Household cleaning products, paper items, kitchen products- foil etc. basically all the hard good uneatable supplies you consume throughout the year. MAKE A LIST going room by room.

Food. Coffee, no better price anywhere for the quality albeit limited selection. All non pershiables in boxes and bags that you consume less than fresh foods. Peanut butter, jelly, crackers, all sorts of can goods, spices, rice, pasta, dried fruits etc......

Frozen foods foods for freezer- lasagne, OJ, pure beef patties, bags of chicken parts, ALL the fresh proteins.

Ok biggest item. CHECK on what you pay for each item by ounce, lb, or other measure sqft etc... At your regular store throughout the year. NOT ALL ITEMS AT ALL TIMES in Costco are the best value by quantity depending on sales, season etc...

Oh pet food. Every year or two Costco puts its top line dog food on sale for a ridiculous price and I'll buy a years worth 12 35lbs bags and put them in the garage. Saved 200bucks that way several times instead of buying them throughout the year even when on regular sale.

Ok I'm done.

Going to get some rotisserie chickens tonight for the next couple of days going to be real hot and we don't want to cook.

Don't forget to hit the food court on the way out. 1.50hot dog meal or 4.00 chicken panini are two of my favs.

Yeah I've had to much coffee today... Costco.. Italian roast.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:33 AM

16,972 posts, read 27,350,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

NOT ALL ITEMS AT ALL TIMES in Costco are the best value by quantity depending on sales, season etc...
Also:

5 Secret Codes You Need to Know About Costco's Prices to Get Even Better Deals « Cons

Old 06-24-2015, 11:39 AM

7,332 posts, read 5,074,857 times
Samples.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:00 PM

3,652 posts, read 5,308,260 times
Kirkland Solid Albacore Tuna
Charmin Toilet paper
Kleenex
Marinated artichoke hearts
Samples!

Oh and always a hot dog and coke on the way out.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:38 PM

5,032 posts, read 14,670,716 times
Paper towels
Kitchen garbage bags
Soft Soap

3lb block of cheese (I shred myself & freeze it to save money)
Cooked, sliced ham
Sausage
Frozen salmon filets
Breaded chicken patties (I make my own Malibu chicken, chicken parmesan or add them to a salad)
Frozen hashbrowns
Romaine lettuce
Grape tomatoes
Raspberries
Croissants
Almonds
Pistachios
Cashews
Gum

I usually go once a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products