U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:55 AM

9,783 posts, read 11,262,855 times

Advertisements

If there's criminal intent it's wire fraud. It has nothing to do with state or local authorities unless it's in the same state. Call your local FBI office. There's no guarantee that they will be interested. If they are, however, they will provide you with the necessary help or refer you to the appropriate federal agency if they don't handle it themselves.

Busiesses that engage in this sort of behavior generally count on the consumer's giving up or the lack of interest by law enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 03:13 AM

39,875 posts, read 57,694,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul91 View Post
Are you blind? Or did you not see that I said I called.

Also, that's not how it works with selling cellphones, they quote me on price, but they have to make sure they cellphone is as requested.

Thanks for the input, though. Next time try reading other posts.
Didn't you noticed that I posted just one minute after your post. I didn't see it while I was typing. Geez ...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:57 AM

10,604 posts, read 9,052,342 times
I drove from Richland WA to Portland OR to "visit" the seller in such a case as this. He made a lame excuse and gave me my goods back.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:43 AM

396 posts, read 380,569 times
A summons from small claims court (usually a minimal filing fee) is sometimes the wonder drug to spur the most stubborn entity along. There's no guarantee you'll collect without a fight, of course, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Also, flex your muscles via the BBB who will follow up on your behalf, file a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General's consumer complaint division and make use of websites such as "Complaints Board".

Old 07-10-2015, 06:49 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,508,689 times
https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm

Old 07-10-2015, 10:01 AM

275 posts, read 257,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Didn't you noticed that I posted just one minute after your post. I didn't see it while I was typing. Geez ...
My response was rude. I apologize.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:02 PM

9,975 posts, read 17,484,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Guess it depends, our police dept has a fraud division. They help people, especially seniors, determine if they have been a victim of fraud and get the post office involved in cases where it's warranted.They also work with other police depts in other states. I work in retail, we frequently contact the police to help victims who have been involved in scams using green dot cards purchased at out store.
I agree that the police will investigate fraud. Unless you can establish an intent to defraud, it is a civil issue. On its face, this case is a failure of one party to meet the terms of the agreed upon contract, which makes it a civil issue.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:56 AM

11,128 posts, read 14,796,603 times
I am suspicious by nature, especially when I hear so many stories from people who have been scammed. My first reaction to 'send us your phone, then we'll send you money' just causes my scam radar to go off unless it's a well known, established business.OP says they aren't getting any kind of response at all and the phone line is constantly busy, so yeah, call me paranoid but I don't trust it.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:54 PM

9,975 posts, read 17,484,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I am suspicious by nature, especially when I hear so many stories from people who have been scammed. My first reaction to 'send us your phone, then we'll send you money' just causes my scam radar to go off unless it's a well known, established business.OP says they aren't getting any kind of response at all and the phone line is constantly busy, so yeah, call me paranoid but I don't trust it.
Around here the malls have kiosks where you can get cash immediately for your phone.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,503,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The police aren't going to do anything; it is a civil issue. Call the consumer affairs division of the Illinois Attorney General's Office and see if they have any complaint on file about the company. You can also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and they will try to mediate it for you.
Yes, what this person said ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products