U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:46 PM

275 posts, read 257,548 times

Advertisements

I sold my cellphone online to a store located in Illinois (I'm in Minnesota), they sent me shipping material, and I sent them my phone. I know that they have it because USPS tracking shows that it arrived at their location. Despite having arrived 3 weeks ago, I kept getting emails from them saying that I still had time to send in my phone before my offer expired. I didn't think much of it because their website says that it takes them about a week to process things. I've emailed them 3 times in the past two weeks but have gotten no response.

Who do I report this to? I have proof that they have the phone. The website is legitimate. I just want my phone back or I want the money that they offered for it.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 09:19 PM

11,163 posts, read 14,808,380 times
Legitimate store or some fly by night running a scam from some rent by the month abandoned storefront? If it's an actual legitimate place call the corporate headquarters, otherwise call your local police dept (non emergency) and ask to speak to someone about fraud/scams

Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Legitimate store or some fly by night running a scam from some rent by the month abandoned storefront? If it's an actual legitimate place call the corporate headquarters, otherwise call your local police dept (non emergency) and ask to speak to someone about fraud/scams
I called the phone on the website, it's always busy. It's an independent store. I'll speak to the police dept.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:22 PM

39,907 posts, read 57,741,604 times
what about you CALL them and have human to human conversation? You could clear many issues that way...
Normally when you sell something you request a payment first...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
what about you CALL them and have human to human conversation? You could clear many issues that way...
Normally when you sell something you request a payment first...
Are you blind? Or did you not see that I said I called.

Also, that's not how it works with selling cellphones, they quote me on price, but they have to make sure they cellphone is as requested.

Thanks for the input, though. Next time try reading other posts.

Last edited by Azul91; 07-09-2015 at 09:59 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 09:48 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
Police and they will determine if there is proof to charge. Hopefully you sent requiring proof by signature and insured the package. I had that happen and lucky required signature that showed show no person at address signed. Luckily the signer noticed the name and address and contacted UPS. Delivered to wrong street with same address number. But showed delivered and who sign for package.Contact delivery service because your the sender if they say never got package.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:11 PM

9,975 posts, read 17,491,856 times
The police aren't going to do anything; it is a civil issue. Call the consumer affairs division of the Illinois Attorney General's Office and see if they have any complaint on file about the company. You can also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and they will try to mediate it for you.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:59 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
First request the delivery company investigate because until then you have no real proof of actual delivery except tracking. If signature then no problem likely. Its has to start on your end as sender who paid for delivery service.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:02 PM

11,163 posts, read 14,808,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The police aren't going to do anything; it is a civil issue. Call the consumer affairs division of the Illinois Attorney General's Office and see if they have any complaint on file about the company. You can also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and they will try to mediate it for you.
Guess it depends, our police dept has a fraud division. They help people, especially seniors, determine if they have been a victim of fraud and get the post office involved in cases where it's warranted.They also work with other police depts in other states. I work in retail, we frequently contact the police to help victims who have been involved in scams using green dot cards purchased at out store.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:45 PM

18,478 posts, read 23,972,647 times
Send them a letter with tracking, like USPS priority mail letter or Fed-Ex, etc. In it put a letter like this:

Dear Phone Guys:

This is an official demand letter for payment for the phone that you received from me, according to our agreement. I have included tracking information. I have been unable to reach anyone by email or telephone.

If I have not received payment by _____________(give them a week or so), I will file a small claims court action against you here in (your state), which is allowed because the transaction took place over the internet here in (your state). I will also be asking for my court costs to be reimbursed by you, and any punitive damages the court may find appropriate.

Please send payment by the agreed method in your offer (spell it out).

Sincerely,

You
Your Address
Email
Phone

Personally, I doubt the police will do anything, but if you send a letter like that with a copy of the tracking info, copies of emails and copy of your offer, etc., and address it to their "Legal Department," it will light a fire under the rear of whomever should be getting back to you.

And in the future, use this website. I bought a used phone through it and they're great. Very above board:

http://swappa.com/

Basically, it's like an Ebay website, that just deals with phones and wi-fi devices. You put your phone up for sale on it, and when it's sold, you ship it to the buyer yourself. I'm sure you'd get a better price for it that way, even with their fee, which I think is $10. I actually learned about it from the local Verizon store.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products