U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:33 AM

2,502 posts, read 1,597,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I've had UPS deliver my packages to a person with the same house number, one street up, or down the street where the house number is, for example, 332 instead of 322. There are also a couple of times that I have had someone else's mail and catalogs delivered to my mailbox. People are in such a hurry to get the job done that they don't bother to read what's actually on the mailing label.
Yeah, it's terrible - in your case, it sounds like they just looked at the numbers wrong - but, there's no excuse for that.

Happens on a regular basis with me, obviously. Junk mail is not a huge issue since I don't need to get that in the first place, but even mis-delivering something small like that is a problem because it's indicative of sloppiness. And, when you're talking about important letters, packages, etc. then it's obviously a big problem if it's mis-delivered.

The postal/delivery people need to get their heads out of their *****e$ and get their act together; mis-delivering packages/mail should be unacceptable in all cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 10:27 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,665,417 times
Our apartment complex has two streets with different names (obviously). . . however, both streets have the same street numbers and the FedEx delivery person left my package at the correct 'number', but the wrong street.

I spent hours on the phone with FedEx trying to find out where my package was located and continually was told, "We delivered your package!" Yes they did, but not to me!

At 5:30 that afternoon, someone knocked on my door and it was the tenant who lived in the apt where my pkg was left. I thanked him profusely for being so nice to take the time to bring the package to me!

I told one FedEx driver, "I heard that FedEx is merging with UPS." He knew nothing about it. So I said, "Yes, and it will be called FedUPS."

Old 08-17-2015, 10:31 AM

233 posts, read 196,270 times
Yes this happens more than it should. I've lived here for almost 10 years. Just recently my daughter didn't get her birthday card from my parents. It had a little money in it and I'm sure they misdelivered it and someone decided to just pocket the cash. OR someone in the post office thought "hmm let's keep this". They have delivered bills and packages to the wrong address and it's usually not the same address. It is often on the same street but there have been a couple of times it's on the wrong street altogether. It happens probably 7 times a year the last few years. The people usually bring it to me but there are a couple of things I never got and they were both worth money so I know someone kept them. Who? I don't know. Postal service thief or dishonest neighbor I'm sure.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:30 AM

6,704 posts, read 18,972,436 times
I have had a PO box for over 19 years and the last two numbers are 80 and I on occasion will get the 90 mail by mistake.

I did not receive a CC statement or a Bank statement one time and assume the 90 box (Hispanic name) kept my mail.

There was a constant change of names every 90 days as I got their mail and returned it to the front counter.

Being next to the border will see many cars with Mexico plates as people are inside getting the mail from a box or at the counter.

Legally a Mexican National CANNOT have a USPS mail box ( I verified this) but have a Mexican Legal resident getting one to use.

As for sending anything of value by mail it is best to have it "Certified with signature request" that only costs a few dollars and worth the extra expense. I do this with my Great Grand Daughters gifts.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Our apartment complex has two streets with different names (obviously). . . however, both streets have the same street numbers and the FedEx delivery person left my package at the correct 'number', but the wrong street.

I spent hours on the phone with FedEx trying to find out where my package was located and continually was told, "We delivered your package!" Yes they did, but not to me!

At 5:30 that afternoon, someone knocked on my door and it was the tenant who lived in the apt where my pkg was left. I thanked him profusely for being so nice to take the time to bring the package to me!
Glad to hear your neighbor was honest enough to bring you the package. I've had that happen both ways - neighbors have brought me my packages, and I've brought them their packages.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 AM

6,852 posts, read 3,860,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Yeah, it's terrible - in your case, it sounds like they just looked at the numbers wrong - but, there's no excuse for that.

Happens on a regular basis with me, obviously. Junk mail is not a huge issue since I don't need to get that in the first place, but even mis-delivering something small like that is a problem because it's indicative of sloppiness. And, when you're talking about important letters, packages, etc. then it's obviously a big problem if it's mis-delivered.

The postal/delivery people need to get their heads out of their *****e$ and get their act together; mis-delivering packages/mail should be unacceptable in all cases.
Well with the volumes moved in the billions of pieces there is an acceptable era rate that the companies keep to get most stuff there in what is considered timely. Otherwise carriers/drivers/couriers depending upon the company will stop and make double checks, have their scanners read out the delivery address audibly as a final check etc before it leaves their hand for the porch or mailbox

For an example about 20 years ago when the postal service automated letter processing to pick up a half of a route addition for each carrier, say where his father carried 4 blocks the son has to carry 6, that second check of the letters went away. Then to cut time in the processing plants mail got to face in any direction and the computer barcode readers didn't care but people can't read barcodes and don't read upside down as easily as machines. In the end the postal service was able to cut down from over 800,000 in staff to almost 500,000

Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Well with the volumes moved in the billions of pieces there is an acceptable era rate that the companies keep to get most stuff there in what is considered timely. Otherwise carriers/drivers/couriers depending upon the company will stop and make double checks, have their scanners read out the delivery address audibly as a final check etc before it leaves their hand for the porch or mailbox
Well, I disagree! You sound like someone who's either never had mail/packages mis-delivered to you, an apologist for sloppy work by the USPS/UPS/Federal Express, someone who works for one of these companies that mis-deliver mail/packages - or maybe all three.

Bottom line is this: I'm paying money for the delivery service. If they don't deliver an item to my correct address - and if I have to rely on a neighbor (who may not be honest or is just lazy) to come & bring me the item, that's the fault of the delivery service. These services should not be in business if they continue to mis-deliver mail/packages!

I may never get the item because of their sloppiness, and that's a lot of trouble for me since I have to contact the company that I ordered the item from, request compensation or request that they deliver the item again, etc. And, I may never get my money and/or what I ordered back! This is a lot of hassle & takes up a lot of time and money - that I don't have!

In the past year, I have ordered more items in the mail than in the past, for a couple of reasons:

1) Retail stores aren't carrying some of the items I want, and

2) It's easier to order something through the mail than to drive all over the place looking for something - that you may not find anyway.

And, I know I'm not the only one. So, delivery services need to step up their accuracy, especially now since more people are ordering through the mail!

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 08-18-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 08-18-2015, 10:56 AM

True for all except never receiving a misdelivery personally. With an increase of part time and casual work force all it takes is one wrong turn and you are on the wrong street unknowingly and the number matches and boom there is your misdelivery. And nothing human can stop it. Although the technology existxit just has not been bought for the GPS to read out an exact location at delivery.

You do recognize armies throughout history with a larger potential loss have killed each other through friendly fire because locations were not perfect. The same will happen with a less lethal consequences with the delivery of a package or credit card solicitation.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
True for all except never receiving a misdelivery personally. With an increase of part time and casual work force all it takes is one wrong turn and you are on the wrong street unknowingly and the number matches and boom there is your misdelivery. And nothing human can stop it. Although the technology existxit just has not been bought for the GPS to read out an exact location at delivery.

You do recognize armies throughout history with a larger potential loss have killed each other through friendly fire because locations were not perfect. The same will happen with a less lethal consequences with the delivery of a package or credit card solicitation.
Nice that you're making excuses for shoddy customer service & these mis-deliveries by making war analogies. Obviously, you're comparing apples and oranges.

With attitudes like yours, no wonder customer service in this country is going down the toilet. Companies who employ idiots that can't do their job properly don't deserve to stay in business.

I'm glad we have forums like city-data.com so that people who work for companies that make mistakes like this willingly admit their mistakes online here - since it's an anonymous forum.

When I called UPS about my mis-deliveres, they wouldn't admit a mistake at all, and were useless in helping me get my package(s) back. I had to rely on my neighbors (who were thankfully honest) to bring me my mis-delivered packages.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 08-18-2015 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-18-2015, 11:23 AM

Just face it you demand perfection. Perfection never happens even when a friend's death is the result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or