U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:02 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,598,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Well you have three options buy a higher cost service so that the error rate drops from 3% on time because that a required signature decreases the possibility of error. Spend your time to deliver something yourself. Or live with the error rate. Because as long as people remain in the mix, assuming a computer can't make a mistake and assign the wrong barcode to your piece of mail, a faulty assumption that would be. There will be errors. Perfection is impossible. Some will stick to another piece, fall into an unsealed envelope be mis addressed by the sender and so on and so on and get misdelivered or simply mis routed and caught before delivery but still late because of an initial coding error.
Thanks for your honesty. This is very enlightening. If I called the place that mis-delivered these items & complained about mail/packages being mis-delivered, I'm sure they would tell me it never happens. However, on an anonymous internet forum, people tell it like it is. Thanks again!

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 08-19-2015 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 09:32 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,669,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Well you have three options buy a higher cost service so that the error rate drops from 3% on time because that a required signature decreases the possibility of error. Spend your time to deliver something yourself. Or live with the error rate. Because as long as people remain in the mix, assuming a computer can't make a mistake and assign the wrong barcode to your piece of mail, a faulty assumption that would be. There will be errors. Perfection is impossible. Some will stick to another piece, fall into an unsealed envelope be mis addressed by the sender and so on and so on and get misdelivered or simply mis routed and caught before delivery but still late because of an initial coding error.
So what you are telling me is, I need to do the USPS's job and drive 2 hours both ways to hand deliver my rent check myself. Will the USPS pay me for doing their job? No? Didn't think so. There is no excuse you can give me that forgives my rent check, which was in the form of a money order that I STILL can't cancel because enough time has not passed, disappearing and me essentially losing that money for the time being. I only thank my landlord for being understanding about the whole situation and allowing the time needed to get our money back before we pay him. We live paycheck to paycheck and do not have money available to us to pay him until we get our money replaced, so all the "I'm sorrys" and excuses in the world can be shoved right up their rear ends as far as I am concerned. I pay for the service, I expect it to be performed as promised. I do not expect my letters and packages to be rerouted to where ever or lost or stolen or whatever happens to it. Might not be as big of an issue if I could insure that money order that way when it's lost I can have it replaced, but I can't even do that. Not allowed to insure cash or checks, probably because they know their employees like to steal money and they don't want to be held responsible for it.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:44 AM

6,855 posts, read 3,861,850 times
If you expect perfection yes you have to travel yourself. Even then a certain percentage will be victims of traffic accidents and robberies in route so perfection will never be obtained. The more you are willing to pay the closer you can reach towards infinity but you will never hit it, guaranteed. You can increase the percentage by buying a private courier service or certified, registered or expressmail which has a money back guarantee However For a fraction of a dollar you will just have to accept that some will be late by a day or more. And with fewer people checking their mail on a daily bases and returning mail delivered in error some will be lost.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:03 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,669,701 times
I don't care if it is late by a day or so, I care when the thing gets lost and my landlord comes a knocking with the question, "Have you sent out the rent this month, we haven't received it," almost 2 weeks after it was sent. I pay for a service, I expect it to be rendered properly. When I go for a haircut, I expect it to be cut in the way I ask. When I order food, I expect it to be prepared properly. When I ask for a repair on my car, I expect that repair to be done properly. Barber screws up? No charge for the haircut. Chef messes up the food? New meal and a possible discount. Mechanic damages my car? Damages get paid for by their insurance. Post office loses my rent check or other package? "I'm sorry for the inconvenience." Again, "I'm sorry," doesn't pay my rent.

It's not so much the fact that mistakes happen, it's more about the lack of accountability. They refuse to acknowledge the mistake and won't make it right. And that is wrong. All of these package companies either need to start doing their damn job like they are paid to do, or start holding themselves accountable when stuff goes missing.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:08 AM

6,855 posts, read 3,861,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
I don't care if it is late by a day or so, I care when the thing gets lost and my landlord comes a knocking with the question, "Have you sent out the rent this month, we haven't received it," almost 2 weeks after it was sent. I pay for a service, I expect it to be rendered properly. When I go for a haircut, I expect it to be cut in the way I ask. When I order food, I expect it to be prepared properly. When I ask for a repair on my car, I expect that repair to be done properly. Barber screws up? No charge for the haircut. Chef messes up the food? New meal and a possible discount. Mechanic damages my car? Damages get paid for by their insurance. Post office loses my rent check or other package? "I'm sorry for the inconvenience." Again, "I'm sorry," doesn't pay my rent.

It's not so much the fact that mistakes happen, it's more about the lack of accountability. They refuse to acknowledge the mistake and won't make it right. And that is wrong. All of these package companies either need to start doing their damn job like they are paid to do, or start holding themselves accountable when stuff goes missing.
Accountability is available, it cost, around $18/piece, less if you accept more risk without a money back guarantee. So you are offered a discount product at a fraction of a dollar in which risk are accepted. It works since a high 90 percentile gets where its supposed to be on time that billions of individual pieces move through it so most buy the cheapest option available to them at some time during the month. The option that has no accountability because it is one piece of paper among millions. However in the past twenty years with the onrush of technology most people if they have to get something guaranteed like money they transfer it from a phone or before that a computer. And that portion of the business from which all other rates are calculated has been collapsing.

People pay by computer and do other things by email precisely because there are no traffic accidents setting trucks on fire. No identity thieves, or those looking for a check to take to a no ID check cashing business kicking in postal vehicle's windows or sticking guns in carrier's faces. There no computer misreading your writing and spraying the wrong barcode on an envelope so it goes to the wrong state. There is no sender reusing an envelope with an old barcode already on it causing the automated system to route to the barcode and not the new written address. There is no rain smeared the ink and because pieces of paper with a glue flap is the product when it gets wet it tends to stick together. There is no carrier reading something upside down because it is cheaper to process that way where the sender wrote Avenue when the actual street is a Drive or he flipped a 6 and 9 when reading upside down when a dog nosed out of the gate next door or an electric car quietly almost hit him.... and so on and so on.

At a fraction of that cost for a first class piece a discount product is offered to advertiser who know their discounted mail won't be forwarded to a customer that moved but will be delivered to the current resident under the odds he meets the same demographic group he is aiming at and the postal service retains the right to delay it.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 AM

2,502 posts, read 1,598,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Agreed! Glad I'm not the only one on this thread who realizes that while mail mis-deliveries are terrible, there's also no accountability surrounding them. I.e., if you contact the delivery company they won't admit to being at fault & will just let the complaint slide.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:18 AM

6,706 posts, read 18,973,929 times
As for the similarity in street names blame the city for that stupidity. Ever go to a city where the street names are in Alphabetical order or the street uses the "letter" or "number"....cannot go wrong there.

The use of ST, AVE, CT, PL, BLVD, RD etc are OKAY when applied CORRECTLY to a single name and Not to Multiple usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or