U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:07 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times

Advertisements

Lots of people seem to think its free and I see more and more signs stating charge for Styrofoam to go cups .Do not blame them at all; really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 09:23 PM

1,299 posts, read 871,384 times
For as long as I remember, 7-11 has charged for a cup, ge it empty or full with soda. Same price. They get charged for the cup. Not sure of every 711 does it but any one I ever went to. I guess I'll the DD locations you went to that gave you the extra cup,are being more generous than they need to.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:25 AM

4,516 posts, read 2,535,360 times
To answer the question, yes I see it all the time.

Since the vast majority of Dunkin's are independently owned, they are allowed to set their own prices and have their own policies as long as they don't disagree with their contract.

I get the idea that people want the Styrofoam cup to prevent condensation on the outside of the ice coffee cup but it really is wasteful IMHO.

...another first world problem.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:20 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,669,701 times
Only time something like this happened to me was when I attempted to use a paper cup to fill my (bought at that location) reusable coffee mug. The coffee mug sold was of an inappropriate size to fit under the coffee machines that they had, and the only option I had to fill said cup was to use the paper cups they had in store. After doing this 3 times the manager of the store practically freaked out on me and told me that I would have to pay for that cup, assuming it was going to cost me a whole $0.25 or $0.30 I did, when I saw that I got charged $1.10, on top of the coffee I was getting, for the cup, I left my reusable cup there, told them they could shove it straight up their ass and I wasn't paying $1.10 for a 8 oz paper cup, and they could have their reusable cup back because I was never coming back before walking out. I was rather amused when this store went out of business a few months later, due to the manager, while freaking out on me over what I'm sure was a 20 cent cup, was handing other people $100s in free gas on a weekly basis. Guess he had to try and make up that money somewhere, and he assumed I would be an easy target.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:16 PM

557 posts, read 719,123 times
I love my Dunkin Donut and I just bring my favorite cup with me, buy my coffee and pour it into my favorite cup. Problem solved.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:56 AM

245 posts, read 163,479 times
I also live in CT - and once was charged extra for "extra lemon" in my "large unsweetened iced tea, with extra ice and extra lemon".

I no longer patronize that Dunkin... If they can't "give" me an extra lemon wedge or two, but they can give someone a "large coffee 5 creams and 10 sugars", I'll shop elsewhere. Surely there are Dunkins that are happy to have those of us daily customers without corking us for the little extras.

Last edited by SunFlower33; 08-05-2015 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-05-2015, 10:51 AM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFlower33 View Post
I also live in CT - and once was charged extra for "extra lemon" in my "large unsweetened iced tea, with extra ice and extra lemon".

I no longer patronize that Dunkin... If they can't "give" me an extra lemon wedge or two, but they can give someone a "large coffee 5 creams and 10 sugars", I'll shop elsewhere. Surely there are Dunkins that are happy to have those of us daily customers without corking us for the little extras.
Not quite the same, but similar. A lot of restaurants in south Florida took umbrage with the elderly women with giant purses who would steal all the sweet-n-low, wrap the extra lemon for use at home, and take anything else that wasn't nailed down. The waitstaff was instructed in portion control and the freeloaders stopped. There really are customers that businesses DON'T want. Sometimes the fallout from that is seeming Draconian policies.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:36 PM

4,516 posts, read 2,535,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFlower33 View Post

Then I should get a discount for no lemon in my iced tea....

Old 08-09-2015, 08:33 PM

11,615 posts, read 20,774,393 times
I like my water w/lemon but I DO NOT do as someone I spent time w/ask for tons of extra lemon so they can make "lemonade".

Old 08-09-2015, 10:44 PM

18,478 posts, read 23,972,647 times
I think you should contact the manager of that Dunkin and let him/her know what happened and that you're disappointed, and wondered if the employee was correct. Maybe the manager knows nothing about this going on. If he/she says, yes, it's new policy, you can then say, thank goodness there are other Dunkins to choose from in town, then.

I asked for a cup of water at a fast food place for my dog at a drive up window a couple weeks ago, and they had no problem with it whatsoever. In fact, they keep dog biscuits at the drive-through to give dogs in the cars, and gave me a free handful of dog biscuits, too.

Depends where you are, I guess, and the management. But, I think you should call that manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or