U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 02:07 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,830,431 times

Advertisements

Went to a different dunkin donuts today, ordered an iced coffee and asked for the Styrofoam cup to put the plastic in. I always do this and pretty much everyone I know does.

The cashier told me it'd be 50 cents for the empty cup because they've "been giving away" too many cups.

I've never had this happen before. While I understand the predicament, especially in this heat. But I didn't know they could charge for something like that on a location by location basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 03:12 PM

6,235 posts, read 6,116,095 times
Manager is trying to "save" the store right out of business by alienating good customers, silly!

Old 07-14-2015, 10:32 AM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
Stuff like this is a common problem. In movie theatres, we flat out refused "second cups" because every cup in the location was inventoried, and the workers had to match the cash in the till to the retail price of the goods missing between inventories or be fired. Employee theft is a huge problem in food service.

It could be the manager charging for the cup, it could be an employee pocketing chump change, it could be that the place is on a short chain from corporate because of previous problems. You wanted something for free, you didn't get it, now you want to complain. Get over it.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

It could be the manager charging for the cup, it could be an employee pocketing chump change, it could be that the place is on a short chain from corporate because of previous problems. You wanted something for free, you didn't get it, now you want to complain. Get over it.
Nowhere did I complain about Dunkin in my post, at all.

I live in CT and there's a dunkin every 5 feet, this is the first time EVER I've been asked to pay for a Styrofoam cup. I made the thread because I'm just curious if other people had encountered it.

Good grief.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:44 PM

11,163 posts, read 14,808,380 times
Aren't they franchised, and doesn't that give a little bit of leeway on that kind of thing? It sounds odd to me to ask for a second cup to put the first cup in, very wasteful, both in terms of profit and to the environment. Why don't people just ask to have it made in the styrofoam cup to begin with?

Old 07-14-2015, 03:47 PM

35,108 posts, read 41,303,728 times
Almost every truck stop in America will charge for the cup even if you only get ice.
We do not go to Dunkin Donuts often so I have no experience with them but we both have travel mugs that we use everywhere so no paper cups are ever needed even if we get ice only.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Aren't they franchised, and doesn't that give a little bit of leeway on that kind of thing? It sounds odd to me to ask for a second cup to put the first cup in, very wasteful, both in terms of profit and to the environment. Why don't people just ask to have it made in the styrofoam cup to begin with?
They aren't the same sizes, the plastic cups hold more volume because of ice.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Nowhere did I complain about Dunkin in my post, at all.

I live in CT and there's a dunkin every 5 feet, this is the first time EVER I've been asked to pay for a Styrofoam cup. I made the thread because I'm just curious if other people had encountered it.

Good grief.
Note how the first response post to yours wanted to claim mismanagement and lack of customer "service." While your question was posed as a request for information, it was pretty easy to tell the way the thread was heading. I stated more likely reasons for the charge, based upon personal experience.

You DID want something for free.

By your own statement, you DIDN'T get it.

You DID make the effort to question if this was something others had experienced, in the framework that you expected it and experienced it as a normal giveaway.

I could have commiserated on how life sucks, or complained about miserly companies, but the bottom line is that what ain't free ain't free. Getting over that idea is the easiest way to not have it gnaw at you and cause ulcers.

Remembering back, in 1990 a plain foam cup of coffee cup size sold by a restaurant supply house was about 4 cents. The treated paper cup the same size was about 12 cents, more if it was custom printed. The costs might not seem like much, but they add up quickly.

The real issue is twofold - customers want coffee served boiling hot, and treated paper that hot is almost impossible to hold comfortably. The solution lies in a better designed paper cup or a ruffed sleeve that is part of the design. A corrugated cardboard sleeve would be cheap and far less of an environmental problem than wasting styro cups. Why not call up corporate and suggest something along those lines? It really is THEIR problem in accepting the status quo and poor design choices.

Solutions are appreciated. When cold drink cups in theatres first had lids, the punch hole for the straw was to the side. One blind customer spoke up and said "You know, blind people and people in dark theatres would appreciate that hole being in the easily found CENTER of the lid." That is why the punch hole has been in the center of most lids from that point forward.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Note how the first response post to yours wanted to claim mismanagement and lack of customer "service." While your question was posed as a request for information, it was pretty easy to tell the way the thread was heading. I stated more likely reasons for the charge, based upon personal experience.

You DID want something for free.

By your own statement, you DIDN'T get it.

You DID make the effort to question if this was something others had experienced, in the framework that you expected it and experienced it as a normal giveaway.

I could have commiserated on how life sucks, or complained about miserly companies, but the bottom line is that what ain't free ain't free. Getting over that idea is the easiest way to not have it gnaw at you and cause ulcers.

Remembering back, in 1990 a plain foam cup of coffee cup size sold by a restaurant supply house was about 4 cents. The treated paper cup the same size was about 12 cents, more if it was custom printed. The costs might not seem like much, but they add up quickly.

The real issue is twofold - customers want coffee served boiling hot, and treated paper that hot is almost impossible to hold comfortably. The solution lies in a better designed paper cup or a ruffed sleeve that is part of the design. A corrugated cardboard sleeve would be cheap and far less of an environmental problem than wasting styro cups. Why not call up corporate and suggest something along those lines? It really is THEIR problem in accepting the status quo and poor design choices.

Solutions are appreciated. When cold drink cups in theatres first had lids, the punch hole for the straw was to the side. One blind customer spoke up and said "You know, blind people and people in dark theatres would appreciate that hole being in the easily found CENTER of the lid." That is why the punch hole has been in the center of most lids from that point forward.
Wow. You've spent way more time talking/thinking about this than I have.

I went to a chain restaurant and was asked to pay for something I've never been charged for before by ANY location. I paid for the Styrofoam cup. The cost was no big deal and not my issue.

I'm just wondering if it's happened to other people at other locations because it's never happened before. That's it.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:35 AM

I do spend time thinking and getting to core issues, but the corrugated sleeve idea was just a quick off-the-cuff thought. The personal problem you have with hot coffee cups and your solution just show me that there is an ongoing problem, it isn't the customer's problem, and a simple effective fix is needed. I am constantly amazed at businesses that DON'T think things through and do things "because that is the way it has always been done." When I worked as a DM, I busted buns to revise reporting and systems to minimize workload for managers and myself AND save money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or