U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2008, 09:41 PM
 
Location: NWArkansas/Seattle
395 posts, read 1,258,573 times
Reputation: 160

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I know you all will think I am totally clueless.
But I have read numerous posts and replies about W-M not being "patriotic" and etc.
What is the deal with that? I go to Wal-Mart ocasionally to get a good deal.
But why do people bash it sooo much?
also any websites or references would be nice too.

Note*I grew up in NW. AR which is where wal-mart came from and that was pretty much the only place to get groceries and etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,739 posts, read 32,115,653 times
Reputation: 6803
I consider Wal-Mart to be doing more to help the American crises of so many with No medical insurance by offering a LONG list of medications for only $4. These same drugs cost $50 and up at other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 09:51 PM
 
Location: NWArkansas/Seattle
395 posts, read 1,258,573 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I consider Wal-Mart to be doing more to help the American crises of so many with No medical insurance by offering a LONG list of medications for only $4. These same drugs cost $50 and up at other places.
I agree with that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 11:11 AM
 
48,516 posts, read 85,110,846 times
Reputation: 18083
Wal-mart is just the target because they are the biggest retailers. mIt's a labor union thing and with others they say the stores are a blight to their area when I really suspect it's the people that shop there that they don't want coming to their area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,897,038 times
Reputation: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I consider Wal-Mart to be doing more to help the American crises of so many with No medical insurance by offering a LONG list of medications for only $4. These same drugs cost $50 and up at other places.
Target does as well. Some of the RX'ex are not available in some states and they may not be the dose you need. These are also generic drugs. You may need something outside of this list of 300 or so drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,425 posts, read 45,086,119 times
Reputation: 10404
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaJasMi View Post
Hi everyone!
I know you all will think I am totally clueless.
But I have read numerous posts and replies about W-M not being "patriotic" and etc.
What is the deal with that? I go to Wal-Mart ocasionally to get a good deal.
But why do people bash it sooo much?
also any websites or references would be nice too.

Note*I grew up in NW. AR which is where wal-mart came from and that was pretty much the only place to get groceries and etc.
If you researched it as much as you claim then it would be very very easy to satisfy all your answers by googling a couple simple key search words such as "walmart human rights violations" and you will be reading for hours and hours.

And by your words "good deal", nothing made in China is a good deal. Not even for the Chinese worker who had their hands on the assembly of the product. Maybe the Chinese government got a good deal. How do you feel about supporting someone who hates your guts?

You can also find several web sites where normal folks who actually work there gather to chat. You would not believe the things I read there so I will leave that for you to read for yourself. The normal reaction is "why do they stay"? "Just quit". But it is not that easy for many. Your choice is to work 45 hours and get paid for 40 or have no job at all. Or tell your boss you are prego and get fired or wear baggy cloths till the boss notices.

Also keep in mind many Walmarts open in depressed areas. Areas where there is no work and no tax base for the town. The town welcomes them for the taxes they will be paying on the land they occupy. Walmart will promise to hire 500 people at minimum wage to displace the 15 Mom and Pop stores that for generations operated in that town and now are forced to go under.

Oh yes the high cost of low prices.

I would rather pay a higher price then go into that store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 PM
 
40,554 posts, read 24,893,364 times
Reputation: 12901
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
If you researched it as much as you claim then it would be very very easy to satisfy all your answers by googling a couple simple key search words such as "walmart human rights violations" and you will be reading for hours and hours.

The normal reaction is "why do they stay"? "Just quit". But it is not that easy for many. Your choice is to work 45 hours and get paid for 40 or have no job at all. Or tell your boss you are prego and get fired or wear baggy cloths till the boss notices.

Also keep in mind many Walmarts open in depressed areas. Areas where there is no work and no tax base for the town. The town welcomes them for the taxes they will be paying on the land they occupy. Walmart will promise to hire 500 people at minimum wage to displace the 15 Mom and Pop stores that for generations operated in that town and now are forced to go under.
I think that Wal-Mart is a target because it is the largest retailer. Target, K-Mart or Sears aren't all that different. The merchandise at all these stores doesn't vary too much except for a few specific brands/lines that are contractually exclusive. There are chat rooms where Wal-Mart employees share some horrible stories, and I've no doubt that some employees get treated shabbily or unfairly. Just like at any other large corporation. There is no way to verify these stories, you don't get to read rebuttals from the employees' supervisors, and you probably don't get the whole story. And the studies showing economic harm have generally been paid for by anti-Wal-Mart organizations. Wal-Mart pays for studies that show economic growth. When there is a conclusive, independent study, that takes into account economic trends exclusive of Wal-Mart as well as Wal-Mart's impact, then I'll read that study with great interest. Until then, I can only wonder how many people those "15 Mom and Pom stores" actually employed, and what the mark-up was in those stores. It's always funny to read from people in cities about how much better it is in rural areas without Wal-Mart than with, because those people don't have to drive 150 miles to find a kiwi. They don't have to pay $4.50 for a box of cheerios and $2.00 for one tomato. They don't have two washers to choose from because there is only one appliance store in town, these are the two washers they carry, and if you order one from somewhere else, good luck finding someone to service it.

DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 01:46 PM
 
Location: The Rock!
2,370 posts, read 7,052,271 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think that Wal-Mart is a target because it is the largest retailer. Target, K-Mart or Sears aren't all that different. The merchandise at all these stores doesn't vary too much except for a few specific brands/lines that are contractually exclusive. There are chat rooms where Wal-Mart employees share some horrible stories, and I've no doubt that some employees get treated shabbily or unfairly. Just like at any other large corporation. There is no way to verify these stories, you don't get to read rebuttals from the employees' supervisors, and you probably don't get the whole story. And the studies showing economic harm have generally been paid for by anti-Wal-Mart organizations. Wal-Mart pays for studies that show economic growth. When there is a conclusive, independent study, that takes into account economic trends exclusive of Wal-Mart as well as Wal-Mart's impact, then I'll read that study with great interest. Until then, I can only wonder how many people those "15 Mom and Pom stores" actually employed, and what the mark-up was in those stores. It's always funny to read from people in cities about how much better it is in rural areas without Wal-Mart than with, because those people don't have to drive 150 miles to find a kiwi. They don't have to pay $4.50 for a box of cheerios and $2.00 for one tomato. They don't have two washers to choose from because there is only one appliance store in town, these are the two washers they carry, and if you order one from somewhere else, good luck finding someone to service it.

DC
Good post DC. I like how the anti-wal-mart crowd has morphed from,"they close up mom and pop stores" to "they're anti-environment" to "they violate human rights." The funny thing is, I know of a few towns where the supercenter coexists right alongside the mom and pop stores so that argument is rubbish. They've done more than ANY other major retailer at cutting their carbon footprint so the 2nd argument is rubbish. They may have a bit on the human rights angle but it isn't like you're going to find only American made non-sweat shop goods in Target, KMart, Safeway, Giant, Kroger....

Yes Wal-Mart is the target because they're the biggest and have the most muscle. It has nothing really to do with what Wal-Mart does to the community, the environment, or by de facto means laborers in China. It's all about the American desire to beat down the bully and that's always going to be the biggest on the block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,897,038 times
Reputation: 1014
Walmart has not done more than other retailer in regards to the environemnt. Their stores, including ones near me, are still cited for things like imporoperly disposing of waste. They don't even have recycling containers for shopping bags. Most of their goods come from China and are not manufactured in environmentally friendly facilities (which are often powered by dirty coal). It's publicity and bs for the people dumb enough to believe whatr Walmart puts in a press release.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Ocean Shores, WA
5,081 posts, read 13,135,097 times
Reputation: 10691
My main complaint about WalMart is that the stores are so big that I have to walk too far to find what I want in there.

I wish I could buy a Chinese slave that would work for .10 an hour to do my WalMart shopping for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top