U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 01:47 PM

603 posts, read 470,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
On the contrary, anyone who says that Starbucks is overpriced is quite ignorant.

SBUX Income Statement | Starbucks Corporation Stock - Yahoo! Finance

Their pricing strategy is fairing well in the market and is not hindering their sales. If you do a traditional SWOT (marketing 101) analysis on Starbucks, you'll see that pricing does not fall under one of their weaknesses.
Anyone who takes something relative like an opinion and hears it as fact is ignorant

What is overpriced to me may not be overpriced to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 02:34 PM

993 posts, read 1,414,586 times
The higher price at Starbucks, compared to a local coffee shop, may also be due to the higher cost of fair trade coffee that Satrbucks uses exclusively. Local shops may or may not care about the global economics of coffee. Me, after working at Starbucks for a short time, I learned to make a good cup of pour over coffee with a coffee roasted locally. Since I drink coffee rarely, it works for me. I get the water going while letting the dogs out, pour over while showering, and out the door I go.

While working at Starbucks I never found a coffee drink that I liked. And it's a requirement in training that you taste what you are learning to make so you drink a LOT of coffee every day. My training included being able to identify the shot that was too long and therefore considered bitter, weighing a cappuccino for the correct air/coffee ratio, serving samples of new blends to the lobby...I still never found one I liked. Then a co-worker made me a pour-over of whatever the daily brew was. It was one of the best cups of coffee I ever had. Part of the training is to learn pour-over, but a lot of trainers aren't really good or interested in it.

These days I only go to Starbucks during the Christmas holidays for a seasonal drink or during the summer for a nice cold frappuccino.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:11 PM

579 posts, read 538,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHills View Post
.... Oh, yes. Excellent Americanos, etc. No preservatives either, which Starbucks use because they've grown to be so huge of an enterprise. The commitment to no preservatives is precisely why Dutch Brothers will remain just in Oregon, a manager of theirs shared with me years ago. They don't merely sell brewed coffee & serve treats, they establish relationships. Fine business model, in my opinion.

.... For well over 6 years now my a.m. routine is to use a small backpacking hand grinder, utilizing fair trade, shade grown, organic coffee beans for those first magic cups of joe. 15 cents/16 oz. cup including power, takes about 10 minutes.

I found dutch bro's and never went back. In my opinion, their coffee tastes much better than Starbucks. I also like how they treat customers on a personal level they gave me a free drink on mother's day, and you cant go wrong with the stamp card. I love them so much that my husband got me their gift card for our anniversary.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:16 PM

3,287 posts, read 3,081,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
The higher price at Starbucks, compared to a local coffee shop, may also be due to the higher cost of fair trade coffee that Starbucks uses exclusively.
The current increase in prices is coming at the same time as a decrease in the price of coffee beans though.

Further, you can often buy good quality fair-trade beans at your local supermarket; or heck you can even buy Starbucks beans (although not sure why you would, the $/quality ratio is terrible). The cost for enough to make a cup of coffee is pretty minimal relative to the cost of even the cheapest drink at Starbucks. You're paying for rent, labor, maintaining the store, and profit margin, not for the drinks' ingredients (and of the ingredients the milk is the one that costs).

From a company perspective I really don't know whether or not this makes sense. That said, they're raising prices on the cheapest drinks the most, which kind of makes sense given that what you pay for at Starbucks is more the atmosphere than the product and that's the same whatever you order.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:42 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
The higher price at Starbucks, compared to a local coffee shop, may also be due to the higher cost of fair trade coffee that Satrbucks uses exclusively. Local shops may or may not care about the global economics of coffee. Me, after working at Starbucks for a short time, I learned to make a good cup of pour over coffee with a coffee roasted locally. Since I drink coffee rarely, it works for me. I get the water going while letting the dogs out, pour over while showering, and out the door I go.

While working at Starbucks I never found a coffee drink that I liked. And it's a requirement in training that you taste what you are learning to make so you drink a LOT of coffee every day. My training included being able to identify the shot that was too long and therefore considered bitter, weighing a cappuccino for the correct air/coffee ratio, serving samples of new blends to the lobby...I still never found one I liked. Then a co-worker made me a pour-over of whatever the daily brew was. It was one of the best cups of coffee I ever had. Part of the training is to learn pour-over, but a lot of trainers aren't really good or interested in it.

These days I only go to Starbucks during the Christmas holidays for a seasonal drink or during the summer for a nice cold frappuccino.
Starbucks is not the only company that uses fair trade, however. Dunkin Donuts uses fair trade beans and their cup of medium costs $1.60ish while Starbucks charges $2.00. I'm not saying they are equivalent but just pointing out the prices.

If you can't afford $2.00 for a cup of coffee, you probably should be brewing at home (assuming you have the equipment to brew a good cup of coffee). There's nothing wrong with that.

I, personally, do not drink coffee regularly. It would make no sense for me to spend the money on a good quality brewer and keep beans at my home. I hit up Starbucks and local coffee shops whenever I feel the urge. They all cost about the same. I like that the Starbucks customer service is consistently good. Dunkin Donuts, not so much. Local shops provide a better atmosphere than Dunkin Donuts, IMO.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:33 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,174,491 times
This is why I just buy the 48oz Starbucks Iced Coffee (the lightly sweetened). I cut it half with milk. Ends up costing a lot less than getting an iced coffee or frappuccino or something in the stores and tastes just as good to me.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:14 PM

640 posts, read 822,004 times
Now that their house blend is that nasty and cheap tasting Pike Place, I have given up on them. Do they think that we do not know good coffee from bad?

Old 07-18-2015, 09:11 PM

4,410 posts, read 3,323,888 times
Starbuck's coffee is so disgusting that I wouldn't even buy it for $1. There are plenty of places to get a good cup of coffee at a much lower price.

$5 for a cup of bitter, tar-tasting brew? Pfff...

Old 07-18-2015, 09:18 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Starbuck's coffee is so disgusting that I wouldn't even buy it for $1. There are plenty of places to get a good cup of coffee at a much lower price.

$5 for a cup of bitter, tar-tasting brew? Pfff...
Obviously you haven't been to Starbucks. They don't charge $5 for a cup of coffee.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:18 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,521,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
You're paying for rent, labor, maintaining the store, and profit margin, not for the drinks' ingredients (and of the ingredients the milk is the one that costs).
But you are getting convenience also. Just like when people eat at restaurants instead of cooking their own meals.

I drink coffee like twice a year and sometimes I don't even buy it at Starbucks but I don't care what Starbucks or any other coffee shop charges. If people can afford it and like it that's their problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or