U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 12:13 AM

21,984 posts, read 14,681,683 times

Advertisements

To be fair Starbucks like other retailers/businesses has been facing higher costs of late. Normally such increases are passed onto consumers at once, but the recent economic crisis lead many to eat those costs rather than risk losing business. That is changing as the overall economy improves.

Starbucks was one of the first IIRC "fast food" retailers to begin offering increased wages and or other benefits to their workers. Funds for that has to come from somewhere.

Finally don't know about elsewhere in the USA but here in Manhattan, NYC Starbucks is facing a huge amount of lease renewals pretty much all at once. This is because they opened so many stores around the same time that the leases are reaching renewal. The commercial real estate market for NYC was vastly different ten or so years ago than today. Commercial landlords are doubling, tripling or more previous rents if they are allowing many places to remain at all. Faced with increased rents Starbucks will have to either pay or move.

Case in point there was a Starbucks on East 81st and Second Avenue here; they lost that least due to an increase and moved one block down to a smaller space.

Personally agree with many others, have never liked Starbucks coffee and that is going back to my college days. Mostly over roasted and or extracted, bitter and acidic muck if you ask me. Most Starbuck brews do a number on my stomach so don't bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 07:45 AM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 1 day ago)

15,523 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Nonsense. Walk around in any large city. There's plenty of local coffee shops... and they are very successful.
Quote:
Starbucks is hardly overpriced. Have you looked at their financial statements and those of their primary competitors? They are losing business to local gourmet coffee shops but at the same price levels.. but not at a rapid rate. I don't understand how you can possibly justify that their product is overpriced in the market given the revenue they generate.
You must not really live in Texas then, because I do, and I can count on one hand how many coffee shops are here besides Starbucks; chain or otherwise. They definitely have a monopoly here. If you want a nice cup of coffee, your choices are Starbucks or making fancy drinks at home. Since they have no competition, they can continue to raise prices, and people will continue to pay. It will be interesting to see how much they can raise prices before they experience a significant decrease in customers (if ever). And since they raise prices every year, we'll find out soon enough.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:46 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You must not really live in Texas then, because I do, and I can count on one hand how many coffee shops are here besides Starbucks; chain or otherwise. They definitely have a monopoly here. If you want a nice cup of coffee, your choices are Starbucks or making fancy drinks at home. Since they have no competition, they can continue to raise prices, and people will continue to pay. It will be interesting to see how much they can raise prices before they experience a significant decrease in customers (if ever). And since they raise prices every year, we'll find out soon enough.
You should consider visiting Texas sometime:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...9!2d31.7775757

https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...8!2d29.7604267

Old 07-19-2015, 12:53 PM

9,966 posts, read 9,598,912 times
I can't summon any sympathy about Starbuck price hikes. Anyone who goes there at all isn't looking to be frugal.

Personally, I'd rather support a local independent mom-and-pop coffee place.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:59 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,629,266 times
Still getting a caffeine high drinking my Nescafe instant and not paying extra for that silly Starbuck's logo.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:11 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,311,727 times
Quote:
Nonsense. Walk around in any large city. There's plenty of local coffee shops... and they are very successful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nah... There are plenty of other coffee shops!
I am talking about Chicagoland.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:31 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
I am talking about Chicagoland.
21 Outstanding Coffee Shops In Chicago - Eater Chicago

Old 07-19-2015, 05:49 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,311,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
They are mostly in city area.
Chicagoland is suburbs of Chicago.
My community has six Starbucks , two DD ,and three McDonald's.
Local coffee shops don't really have a chance in my town.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:22 AM

109 posts, read 68,107 times
Trully, I dont like Starbucks so much, I prefer to drink black coffee such as G7 coffee, manufactured from Vietnam so I dont care about the price of Starbuck raises or falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or