U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 03:11 PM

579 posts, read 538,656 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am trying to decide which company to go with for my entertainment packages. To make things clear, I have been a comcast member for over 2 years now and have very little issue with them, overall I have nothing to complain. In the past, they have always kept their prices affordable and after my time commitment is up, they usually put me on a special they are currently running so I dont have to cancel due to prices going up. Well, this time things have not gone the same way. Last year, I was put on a starter triple play package (phone, internet, tv) for 84.99, not including taxes and equipment. Last month, that deal ended adn they bumped my price up to $155 ( I was paying around 116-117 before). I called and asked if they were running any specials that were within my budget and they said I had the best deal.

I said I cant afford that much and they said I could look into transferring the service over to my husband's name so he can get the new customer discount for $99. So we went to the local store and tried to transfer it over to his name and they said "hey, you dont need to do that because based on what I see here, we have put you on a different package and you will only be paying 125 a month" They said our pro rated charges for that month was only 105.26 which I paid. Our bill would be updated the next cycle.

Fast forward to a month later, nothing changed and our bill actually increased! This time, I really wanted to be done with them and just cancel the service but my husband asked me to call and speak to someone else. I spoke to at least 5 different people who all said different things. Two of them said my bill was indeed 125, the other 3 said my bill was 151. The lesser amount of the two did not reflect on my statement at all. I decided to give them one last chance ( I hate the hassle of starting new service and having to return equipment etc) by calling in one last time to confirm my bill. This time, a guy transferred me to a supervisor named Kelly. This Kelly woman said she saw what was going on and that they failed to enter the code that would give me the discount. She said she was going to put me back on the starter package for 84.99 for another year, send me a new internet router that would increase my performance, give me 1 year of hbo for free, and half off on the dvr box. She had to run it by her supervisor though and would call me the next morning to tell me of the new pricing. She reassured me not to worry and all would be taken care of and she guaranteed that all this would happen.

The next day (yesterday morning), I didnt hear back from her (she did give me her name, call center location and ID number if I needed to speak with someone). This morning I called comcast again and asked them what was going on. I was exhausted having to repeat the story so asked if they saw any notations on my account. He did although he didnt see the Kelly name. So to make the story short, he said I do not qualify for the starter package because it has expired. He said the best he could do is put me on a preferred package which is actually better than the starter package for 120. With equipment and taxes it would come out to 151 for two years. I would be saving 30 bucks. The 151 is still out of our budget, but we can still manage to pay that if the service, performance, adn deal comes out to be superior than century link. Btw, I made an appointment with century link for them to come install the service tomorrow but it I chose to continue with comcast, I will have to cancel the appointment. I will make a list of the differences between comcast and century link and hopefully someone could help me decide which is a better deal.

Century Link

- 54.99 a month for basic phone and 40 mbs internet. Router is $10 and with taxes grand total comes to 64.99. One year commitment and 3 year price lock. If I wanted tv, I would have to go with a separate provider such as dish or direct tv, but even so the price would be 110 for all 3 services with equipement and taxes included.

Comcast

- 119.99 a month for full feature calling (voicemail, call waiting, caller id, long distance etc), 150 channels, free hbo 1 year, 50 mbs internet, half off on dvr, 2 year commitment with price lock. Grand total per month comes out to 151.

Just to mention, I dont care too much for tv since I usually stream my movies and shows but the husband likes to watch soccer on a big screen tv. I also only need basic phone service since its primarily for work, but if comcast comes out to be the better deal than why not?

So in your opinion, which comes out to be a better deal? Obviously century link would save me money but its only for 2 services.

Thanks for all your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 07:58 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Comcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products