U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:22 PM

11,617 posts, read 20,774,393 times

Advertisements

I won't turn the phone off overnight (and NEVER get telemarketer calls then anyway) - have an elderly parent, friends going through situations, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 08:30 PM

5,434 posts, read 10,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I won't turn the phone off overnight (and NEVER get telemarketer calls then anyway) - have an elderly parent, friends going through situations, etc.
That's understandable. Our phones are on, though, just the ringers are off..we can still hear messages left on answering machine and respond if needed. Our parents have passed on...

Old 08-05-2015, 10:39 PM

18,478 posts, read 23,972,647 times
I have a verizon dumb phone and also get a ton of telemarketers. The do not call list is worthless.

Verizon has an option online where you can enter in 6 or so numbers for free that they will block for 30 days. It doesn't block all of my telemarketers, but it helps. Then when the phone starts ringing off the hook again, I know the blocks have expired, so I put their numbers back on it.

My dumb phone does show the missed call numbers, so I can get their numbers that way, to put them on my Verizon block list.

They have an option where you can pay a monthly fee to block even more numbers, but this at least helps. I called Verizon to ask if there's any way to block them, and they walked me through the online process. Once you know how to get to the right page, it's easy to do.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:54 PM

5,084 posts, read 7,916,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I use a feature provided by my local phone company called selective call forwarding. After a someone I don't recognize calls, I add their number to my selective call forwarding list. What's great is I can add just the area code & prefix & that will block all of the numbers from that prefix. I set up the forwarded calls to go to another telemarketing number that harassed me for months & months. I even contacted that company's attorney to get this straightened out. So now that harassing company receives all of my "forwarded" calls that I don't want to receive.
What an awesome idea!!!!

I've been using only my cell phone. Unfortunately, people are starting to get that number now too, so i'm going to look at your idea.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 595 times
Get your self a Panasonic KX-TG4771 corded base unit ( desk or wall mountable) that also allows for adding up to 6 cordless handsets. Excellent range too. The base unit has an answering machine but BEST OF ALL, a CALL BLOCKER for up to 30 numbers.....as long as you subscribe to caller ID with the number being displayed. You see a number you don't know, simply "save" it to CALL BLOCKER. If they call back, it rings once then quits. If you get the Panasonic base unit that has a corded handset,( they also have a base unit that's cordless) it will work during a power outage where your cordless won't. Best money I ever spend was to get this setup. Cordless extension phones comes with a rechargeable cradle and the charge lasts for 3 days off the cradle. Also, if you put the cordless somewhere and cant find it, the base unit will send out a beep so you can find it.
Look for it on amazon.........

Old 08-05-2015, 11:20 PM

8,610 posts, read 6,399,061 times
My number is unlisted and I rarely get telemarketers. One a month is a lot. Your name doesn't show up in a phone book, either.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:35 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,134,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
My number is unlisted and I rarely get telemarketers. One a month is a lot. Your name doesn't show up in a phone book, either.
My number is unlisted and not in the phone book, but I googled it about a month ago -- and it's right there, next to my name and address. I was horrified, because I treasure my privacy. Maybe you want to check that...I don't know how it happens. I may have to change my number, though I rarely get telemarketers.

Most days I do leave my ringer off because I work at night and sleep during the day, but late this afternoon I got a call from a telemarketer to whom I said, "I am supposed to be on your Do Not Call list." He said, "You gave in 2010; don't you care about _____" to try to make me feel bad! I got really angry and launched into a tirade before I said, "NEVER call this number again," and hung up.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:36 AM

9,145 posts, read 8,408,890 times
We did the ultimate way of getting rid of calls we do not want.

We went from Century Link to VOIP, which means Voice Operated Internet Protocol. It is called NetTalk, http://www.nettalk.com and is available everywhere. It is a black box that hooks up to the Internet Modem, and the phone hooks to it. We got a new phone number issued not keeping the old one. Works great just like the phone company phone did. They do not put these numbers in phone books. Cost $39.95 per year plus 5 for government taxes. For $45 per year, we get unlimited long distance for U.S. and Canada Free. And they have about all the services you can get from the phone company included. Works great as I said, including sound is better than the phone company offered. Went from $48 a month plus long distance, etc., down to only an average of $3.75 per month. Costs less per year, than one month from the phone company. Has 911, and other things we want included when you set it up. Call forwarding when we are away from home sending it to our cell phones.

Have been using it a year, and not one phone call we did not want, from people we gave our number to. We use a base unit connected to the black box, and have 4 extension phones that work wireless to the base unit, around the home. We have friends and family that went this route, and they are all happy. One friend has two units with two different numbers. One for local calls, and one with a Chicago number, so that her mother and other family members can call her as a local call. Of course her Chicago phone is at her home not in Chicago. Some business friends, have one for the Fax machine. Works great, and costs pennies on the dollar that the phone company charges for a fax number. Another who is divorced from a brutal husband, has one with a number for her old town, so he cannot find her through her phone number. Another has an Internet based business, and for a phone number it is high end business area of San Francisco for a phone number, improved business over when she used a phone number of a small Podunk town.

You get to pick what zip code you want for a number, and you still get local 911 service.

Just another way to get rid of all those calls, you do not want.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:20 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,380,980 times
I think the only way to get rid of telemarketing is to gather up all congressmen/womens phone numbers and sign them up for these vacation deal things that we see everywhere. These "win a vacation" companies sell your info to EVERYONE under the sun. We never got calls like these until my wife was in a sporting goods store and filled out a win a vacation thing. Weeks later her phone started getting calls at all hours of the day. The WORST is when you answer and it just clicks and hangs up.

So do it, sign up your local congressmen and let their phones ring off the hook day and night, that aught to get the message across!

Seriously though I think the only way to properly fix this is to require that all telemarketing be done through special numbers with a code in them. Then require phone companies to allow you to permanently ignore all calls with that code. Effectively kill the industry.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:41 AM

8,089 posts, read 11,185,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I use Ooma, they do most of this for me.
Did the same thing. Saves us more than $50 a month since we never really use our home phone anyway. I thought about totally getting rid of it, but got the Ooma device on Woot for a good deal and the taxes and whatnot are like $4 a month. That way, if I do get a call I want, I will be able to get the message at least, even though we never hear the ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products