Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 09:29 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,201,081 times

Advertisements

I picked up a Zenith ZEP 100 at a flea market for a buck. Works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Accessories-22.../dp/B000055YX6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:33 AM

7,055 posts, read 12,560,065 times
If it just me, but isn't it interesting that we citizens have to spend money and/or time to fend off telemarketers from our phones -- and lives?

Why is that?

Why don't we have protection in preventing these annoying, harassing and time-consuming calls from coming into our homes -- at all?

Old 08-06-2015, 12:03 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,868,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I use a feature provided by my local phone company called selective call forwarding. After a someone I don't recognize calls, I add their number to my selective call forwarding list. What's great is I can add just the area code & prefix & that will block all of the numbers from that prefix. I set up the forwarded calls to go to another telemarketing number that harassed me for months & months.
I do the same for work, we get probably 10 new spam calls a day, I forward them to 631-265-0000 (yes it's safe to call if you're interested)

Old 08-06-2015, 12:05 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,868,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
We did the ultimate way of getting rid of calls we do not want.

We went from Century Link to VOIP, which means Voice Operated Internet Protocol.
VOIP actually stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:11 PM

15,573 posts, read 10,279,647 times
I use the free service NOMOROBO.https://www.nomorobo.com/ and have used it for about a year. We've gone from 6 or more telemarketing calls a day, to maybe 3 unsolicited calls a week. I could kiss the guy who invented it!

I read about nomorobo in the NYTimes last year. That's how I originally found it.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:17 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,014,407 times
I changed my phone number for my landline. The only people who have it are family members and very, very close friends. No one else. I've never given it out to any type of company. I guess an autodialer could randomly dial it but so far, it's been wonderful to know it's a legitimate caller every time it rings.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:08 PM

10,009 posts, read 17,911,869 times
I no longer have a landline, but on my cell phone, the default ringtone is SILENT. Friends and family members have their own ringtones so I never miss THEIR calls (unless I want to ) -- this takes care of the problem of needing to remain "open" for SOME people's calls.

Whenever I check my cell phone and see an unfamiliar number, I google it. Virtually always it's a telemarketer/scammer. I add that number to the F***ING ILLEGAL CALLS contact (yeah, it's called that) in case they call again (but they switch numbers so often that the contact has dozens and dozens of numbers on it).

And yes, the Do Not Call list DOES work -- just not for scammers (they are trying to scam you -- why would they follow the law about not calling?). Law-abiding telemarketing companies follow the list; scammers don't. (I know this from my own experience -- i.e., the calls I get that I can check on, which is 99% of them, are clearly scammers, as some posters write about the type of call they got from a particular number, e.g., "I am calling from Microsoft to fix your computer, it has a virus." Yeah, right.)

Old 08-07-2015, 09:22 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,393,156 times
What is this "land line" you people speak of?

Old 08-07-2015, 10:57 AM

7,055 posts, read 12,560,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
What is this "land line" you people speak of?
<grin> Touche ... I glory in being an old school Luddite..it's cheap, it's fun and it's retro!

Old 08-07-2015, 10:11 PM

13,041 posts, read 20,698,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Did the same thing. Saves us more than $50 a month since we never really use our home phone anyway. I thought about totally getting rid of it, but got the Ooma device on Woot for a good deal and the taxes and whatnot are like $4 a month. That way, if I do get a call I want, I will be able to get the message at least, even though we never hear the ring.
Besides the money (can't beat $3 - $10 monthly nationwide calling) I love the blacklist service. Not only can I stop a number from ringing through to me, but Ooma's "bouncers" are constantly adding numbers from customer reports or identified by their research. I don't have to take steps like turning off the ringer to have peace. I also like that as elections near, you can sign up for blocks on all those "exempt" political calls just like you do with charities and surveys. The phones remains as it should; just without the annoying calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products