U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 10:51 AM

5,433 posts, read 10,043,490 times

Advertisements

I've had it! Too many early, dinner time and evening calls. Constant. No caller ID here, but even if we had it, we'd still have to access it to see who's calling, right? And meanwhile, ring, ring, ring.

With elections upcoming, it's only going to get worse. We must be on everyone's hit list. We do make small contributions to various causes as we re able. But never from a telephone solicitation.

My nerves were beginning to fray. Every time the land line rings, it startles me. I'm sensitive to noise. Makes me jump. My heart to beat faster.

Time to end this torture.

So, OK..here's the new deal.

I've turned off the ringers on our three landlines. Calls will go directly to the answering machine. Blessed silence. Any emergency calls will access our cell phone if need be. Or, if we're expecting a land line call, we can listen to the recording and pick-up if we chose to.

That's key. No more ring, ring, ring.. we're in control again.

Started this morning...quite wonderful, this peacefulness.

The invasion has ended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 06:10 PM

11,613 posts, read 20,767,085 times
You don't have a phone that shows the number calling? I am OVER telemarketers as well - my answering machine says "this number does not answer or return calls from telemarketers or charities, otherwise, leave me a message). The calls have actually eased a bit (still way too many) - but I only pick up when someone I know is calling or if they start leaving a message and it's someone I want to talk to.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:43 PM

Our ans. machine is old, doesn't give phone #..and problem is, we've three land lines with same no. in various parts of the house upstairs/downstairs.

Most friends email us, so 90% of calls coming in were calls we didn't want..and as I said, the ringing was getting real annoying...so now we don't hear ringing at all.

We check the machine at our convenience. If we happen to hear a friend/family leaving a message we can pick up...

Emergencies can go to the cell...but as our parents are no longer on this plane, not many emergencies any more...

The silence is golden...

Old 08-05-2015, 07:00 PM

5,032 posts, read 14,669,483 times
I use a feature provided by my local phone company called selective call forwarding. After a someone I don't recognize calls, I add their number to my selective call forwarding list. What's great is I can add just the area code & prefix & that will block all of the numbers from that prefix. I set up the forwarded calls to go to another telemarketing number that harassed me for months & months. I even contacted that company's attorney to get this straightened out. So now that harassing company receives all of my "forwarded" calls that I don't want to receive.

It's much quieter at my house. I shut off my ringers every night when I go to bed.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I use a feature provided by my local phone company called selective call forwarding. After a someone I don't recognize calls, I add their number to my selective call forwarding list. What's great is I can add just the area code & prefix & that will block all of the numbers from that prefix. I set up the forwarded calls to go to another telemarketing number that harassed me for months & months. I even contacted that company's attorney to get this straightened out. So now that harassing company receives all of my "forwarded" calls that I don't want to receive.

It's much quieter at my house. I shut off my ringers every night when I go to bed.
Good for you! It's time we took back our phones, privacy and serenity from the telemarketers. Once you give, you're forever targeted -- and they're not required to abide by the "do not call" list.

So nice to bask in the silence...I was feeling besieged..as many of us feel.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:34 PM

Oh, and just wanted to add..we do donate to causes meaningful to us when we can -- but never ever through phone calls.

We want to check out the organization to make an informed decision after we ascertain they are bona fide and the execs aren't making millions with little going to the ones who need it.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 PM

3,172 posts, read 2,192,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Good for you! It's time we took back our phones, privacy and serenity from the telemarketers. Once you give, you're forever targeted -- and they're not required to abide by the "do not call" list.

So nice to bask in the silence...I was feeling besieged..as many of us feel.
You're talking about certain charities, right? It's awful that this happens, and I think many people are at the point where they'd rather not give, especially if it's through a check or something that identifies their personal information on it, so they're going to be barraged with nuisance calls. Although maybe it's not that bad since I'd be willing to bet the "charitable" organizations that make the most aggressive calls are the very organizations that ignore the simple requests to stop calling, and likely let the donations evaporate into administrative costs and other padding, rather than going to any sort of real humanitarian need.

And the national do not call list is next to worthless in its effectiveness with all the loopholes (political calls being the most insulting and egregious) and scammers and robots who get around it, in my opinion.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
You're talking about certain charities, right? It's awful that this happens, and I think many people are at the point where they'd rather not give, especially if it's through a check or something that identifies their personal information on it, so they're going to be barraged with nuisance calls. Although maybe it's not that bad since I'd be willing to bet the "charitable" organizations that make the most aggressive calls are the very organizations that ignore the simple requests to stop calling, and likely let the donations evaporate into administrative costs and other padding, rather than going to any sort of real humanitarian need.

And the national do not call list is next to worthless in its effectiveness with all the loopholes (political calls being the most insulting and egregious) and scammers and robots who get around it, in my opinion.
Yes, charities and political fund-raising calls. With upcoming elections, it's going to get worse. That's why opting out was our only choice...the phone calls never end and had become just too much.

We pay for the phone but it felt like a torture device. Just want some peace and quiet. Is that too much to ask??

Old 08-05-2015, 08:12 PM

9,569 posts, read 12,509,841 times
I use Ooma, they do most of this for me.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I use Ooma, they do most of this for me.
..and we used "turn the ringers off"..cost us nothing <grin> and the silence is delicious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products