U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:40 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 22,194,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop01 View Post
Either Government or a Commercial Company? I'll start it off.

"Please listen carefully as our selections have recently changed" - BIGGEST LIE EVER!!
My opinion is that if a business cannot afford to hire a live human to answer the telephone, they need to close that business.

This week I called with one simple question to my bank and when I finally got to speak to a human he started off trying to interest me in a new credit card. I don't need another credit card. And when I finished the conversation with him and the other person I was passed on to, my husband told me he didn't know what he was talking about because the answer he gave me cannot be right. I guess time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 PM

39,907 posts, read 57,741,604 times
Inability to reach a live person on the phone!

Closely followed by:

Grinding my teeth through several minutes of meaningless blurb while the IVR decides whether to tell me which button to press.

Worse still, spending endless minutes battling through an IVR, only to be abruptly disconnected with the news that all operators are currently busy!

Or after: "Your call is very important to us" or "Somebody will be with you shortly" they put me on hold, like ... FOREVER!

Or stupid security questions (in places other than financial institutions) asking for address, date of birth, security number, telephone number, password, mother’s maiden name and so on, all before proceeding to the point of the call.

Or when (after I explain my situation) the call get disconnected and I am unable to reach the same agent again.

Or what about my favorite - when a company doesn’t provide (or hides) customer-service phone number!

Or the speech recognition technology in call centers. Every interaction I have ever had with these voice recognition services feels like a battle. The system misunderstands what I'm saying, or it confirms each entry by repeating it snail slooooow: "You said 32530021303. Is that correct?"

I can go on and on, because customer service in most cases really sucks!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:42 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,669,701 times
Oh, a new one, from Comcast of course. Last person I spoke to yesterday said she was scheduling an appointment for a tech to come fix my internet, get a call 10 minutes ago from someone following up on my issue.. "I am looking and see no appointment scheduled." Would it be too much to ask for customer service to do their job?

Old 09-30-2015, 01:18 PM

13,058 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Try being on the other end and being required to spew out that scripted speech even though you KNOW the customer just heard the same thing during the automated portion of the call!
I always feel sorry for the AT&T people because they have to end every call with "Please don't text and drive". I'm even told that by people who are just transferring me to another department. The hold music is also interrupted by an automated recording telling you not to text and drive. By the time I've hung up the phone, I end up being told at least 10 times not to text and drive. Yeah, I get it, don't text and drive. I don't. But I doubt anyone who does is going to say "I guess I won't text while driving anymore now that Mike from AT&T has asked me not to."

I'm not even calling about wireless services, but for Uverse internet.

The "bundling" services is also a major annoyance. I call each year when the internet price goes up so that I can get the lower price again. Every year they tell me how much I can save by adding home phone and tv. When I tell them I don't have a home phone or cable, and that I am not interested in either service, they continue telling me how much I'll save on my internet price. I've never had anyone be able to explain to me how having my bill go from $35 to $200 is saving me money.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:32 PM

13,058 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Or stupid security questions (in places other than financial institutions) asking for address, date of birth, security number, telephone number, password, mother’s maiden name and so on, all before proceeding to the point of the call.
And every place has a different name for the security number. I'm always thrown off when they ask for my password. To me, a password would have letters in it and might be an actual word. Something that is 4-6 numbers should be refereed to as a security number or a personal identification number. Especially since when I tell the person I don't recall setting up a "password" they always end up giving me a hint by saying "its a 4 digit number..." Then I'm like "Oh, its....".

Old 09-30-2015, 01:33 PM

9,814 posts, read 16,238,614 times
Machines that can't tell the difference between 5 and 9

Machines that over-explain please enter your membership number. For example, enter 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9- We really don't need that much explanation

Machines that try to "cozy up" to you, Ummm.....I didn't quite get that. Please repeat your request. Like "I'm your friend"

Getting some foreign guy you gets p'od that he can't understand you

Old 10-01-2015, 06:58 AM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 1 day ago)

15,522 posts, read 8,986,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I always feel sorry for the AT&T people because they have to end every call with "Please don't text and drive". I'm even told that by people who are just transferring me to another department. The hold music is also interrupted by an automated recording telling you not to text and drive. By the time I've hung up the phone, I end up being told at least 10 times not to text and drive. Yeah, I get it, don't text and drive. I don't. But I doubt anyone who does is going to say "I guess I won't text while driving anymore now that Mike from AT&T has asked me not to."

I'm not even calling about wireless services, but for Uverse internet.

The "bundling" services is also a major annoyance. I call each year when the internet price goes up so that I can get the lower price again. Every year they tell me how much I can save by adding home phone and tv. When I tell them I don't have a home phone or cable, and that I am not interested in either service, they continue telling me how much I'll save on my internet price. I've never had anyone be able to explain to me how having my bill go from $35 to $200 is saving me money.
Agreed. That bundling service is very irritating because it benefits not the customer, but the corporation. I don't think it gives the customer a price break at all, at least the commercials for bundling don't mention anything about saving the customer $$$ by ordering more than one service with the same company. And I'm talking about ordering two or three services at once vs. odering each as standalone. So what's the purpose in us doing that? Another odd thing is that we have both wireless service with ATT and internet, yet they are unable to see that with their computers. Whenever we call them they are completely blind to the fact that we have both.

And while we're on the topic of saving companies money but not ourselves, pushing paperless statements, autodebit, and self checkouts doesn't benefit the customer one wit, but the company. So why don't we get a price break when we utilize these services instead of the traditional forms? I've asked them this, and they don't have an answer. Thanks, but no thanks. You can use humans to take my payments unless you give me a discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or