U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:37 PM

3,355 posts, read 3,288,785 times

Advertisements

I have a Char-Broil "Commercial Series" propane grill, it is going on 5 years, been sitting on the patio outside for 4 New Hampshire winters (covered when not in use), frame is still fine, only significant rust is on the "heat tents", a $10 part.

I think 2 factors contribute to the longevity -- humidity here is much lower than Chicago, and I steam clean the entire grill, inside and out, every fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
The OP says he's in Chicago.
Back when I lived in Chicago, I rarely had a grill last more than two years... they got stolen long before they rusted out.

Ended up buying the cheapest Weber kettle grill and spending about as much on a cable lock to attach it to the garden shed... they took the shed too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 08:21 AM

5,725 posts, read 6,916,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Short answer- yes. The drippings fall from the food, vaporize and help flavor the food. Additionally it forms a nice carbon coating which also smoke a bit. You don't have to replace rocks or anything. In fact I rarely clean the flavor bars. I just fire it up, let the grill get to 450 or so for a bit, scrub the grates and go.
Thanks for the info...I've been looking at the new grills for a couple of years but was skeptical that they would give the same flavor, and I have been hesitant to spend the $$ on something that I might give the results I want.

Quote:
I also use the grill year round, even my charcoal smoker and grill. I like to smoke my 'cold smoke' meats when it's zero or below out here. Keeps the temps down in the smoker.
I got a smoker this year but I haven't really used it yet other than the initial [recommended] burn-in, it's kind of chintzy and the burn pan falls out too easy...it's awaiting a modification and the construction of a burn-proof spot on the porch. (Eh, it was a freebie 'gift' from the wife's job for 'longevity', such a generous donation in return for the long hours and high stress with no extra pay...)

Quote:
BTW- my mom had one of the Sunbeams with the glass window on the hood, little cedar slat deck in front.. It was a nice little unit
Sounds almost the same, except the cedar slats are on the side...and you can't see through the glass anymore (other than major flare-ups). The body of the thing is really quite solid, and if it weren't for the upper racks failing I'd keep it going despite the side-burner not working.

Most of my meats go on the grill, with the occasional roast or stew in the slow-cooker, very rarely does meat see the inside of the oven in this house...and a pan-fried steak is right out.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:10 AM

12,229 posts, read 15,895,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Thanks for the info...I've been looking at the new grills for a couple of years but was skeptical that they would give the same flavor, and I have been hesitant to spend the $$ on something that I might give the results I want.

I got a smoker this year but I haven't really used it yet other than the initial [recommended] burn-in, it's kind of chintzy and the burn pan falls out too easy...it's awaiting a modification and the construction of a burn-proof spot on the porch. (Eh, it was a freebie 'gift' from the wife's job for 'longevity', such a generous donation in return for the long hours and high stress with no extra pay...)

Sounds almost the same, except the cedar slats are on the side...and you can't see through the glass anymore (other than major flare-ups). The body of the thing is really quite solid, and if it weren't for the upper racks failing I'd keep it going despite the side-burner not working.

Most of my meats go on the grill, with the occasional roast or stew in the slow-cooker, very rarely does meat see the inside of the oven in this house...and a pan-fried steak is right out.
They're pretty good. I grill a lot and I like the Weber Genesis when I want to do something quick. I grilled two marinated pork tenderloins last night for dinner on it. Like anything you really need to clean it at least once a year, maybe more depending on how often it's used. I failed to clean out the drip / catch pan after some heavy use and I caught the tidbits in the pan on fire. Had to let it burn out but it ruined some grilled chicken, lol.

Come to think of it you are right about the slats on the sunbeam- they are on the side. I've used my mom's a few times and I'd say my Weber is a lot stouter and easier to cook on. The Sunbeam is a lot smaller too.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:03 AM

12,717 posts, read 18,846,815 times
Another vote for Weber - the Spirit line is a bit less expensive, the one I have is a three burner, and it is indestructible. I've had the cheap grills before as well. Weber blows all of them out of the water in terms of durability and quality.

Other comments:
Someone mentioned the big green egg - I don't think those come in propane so it is out of scope. Smokers and Grills are two entirely different animals.
Someone mentioned grill covers and the issue with moisture retention - a good grill cover is designed to keep out dust and other elements, they have vents to prevent moisture build up. I still recommend a grill cover, just haven't found one that lasted more then 2 years.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:32 PM

9,059 posts, read 13,663,712 times
Char-broil has agreed to replace the smoke box for $5 shipping. The burners may last another season though they have knobs on top that attach the cary over tubes with a cotter pin which are gone (I can just use a screw and washer). The heat tents are also pretty rusted but somewhat intact. I may hold onto it a bit longer. At least it should last a bit longer but it is really pathetic the poor quality of the metal they used on all these parts.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:00 AM

4,711 posts, read 11,040,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Do these new(er) grills with the little 'tents' over the burners give the same flavor as the old(er) ones with the lava rocks?

I have an old Sunbeam with the rocks that I really like, I've had it since I picked it up off the side of the road 15 or 20 years ago (somebody was throwing it away) but I think I may have to replace it at some point. I have no problem with replacing the burner (I've lost track of how many times I've done that) but the side burner knob no longer works, and the racks are now somewhat the worse for wear...and I doubt that replacements are (easily) available.

It's been a long time since I've seen a grill available with lava rocks, I'd really rather get one of those, but...

ETA:

I use my grill year round, even in the middle of Winter (unless the temp is so far below zero that it's useless), usually 3-4 times a week (or more), so I really need something that is going to be durable.

I have a Sunbeam that is over 30 years old....I think I paid $88 for it brand new. I think the key to it's longevity is the firebox and lid are 1/4 inch cast aluminum instead of sheet metal that rots out in no time.

Of course, I've replaced the burners, valves, etc at least a half dozen times, but the "bones" are as good as new. I also have a stash of rocks that will probably last until after I'm gone....just in case they quit selling them at some point...

Old 04-14-2016, 12:45 PM

9,059 posts, read 13,663,712 times
I ended up getting a very good shape Weber Genesis Silver B off craigslist for $160.

I am finally about ready to wheel my Char-Broil to the curb for the metal scrappers. The temperature gauges are busted again and grates and fire-tamers are crumbling in my hands and I was not about to shell out $150 to fix that POS when the burners, CO tubes, and even firebox probably are the next to go.

Very sad my Char-broil H burner lasted 20 years. This one lasted 2.

I'm considering getting Grillgrates so that it cooks a bit like my Charbroil but I am going to try with the standard grates first.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:25 PM

926 posts, read 723,977 times
All grills get nasty after about 7-8 years.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:27 PM

6,618 posts, read 3,627,680 times
I've had an MHP grill for well over a decade. Keep it covered outside, and have only replaced the guts once.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:49 PM

316 posts, read 351,427 times
I have been using a Char-Broil grill for the last 4 years. It works great, no rust. It has the Infrared cooking system and is hooked up to natural gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or