Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 12:53 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times

Advertisements

JennAir built in has survived four blistering summers and three winters with blizzards and my husband. It is in use 3-4 times a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 12:55 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
One of my Webers is 15 years old. Get a Weber.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:18 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
The OP says he's in Chicago.
Yep not much salt in Lake Michigan.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:35 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
One of my Webers is 15 years old. Get a Weber.
The new ones aren't the quality the old ones were!

Old 08-27-2015, 02:29 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
My 2 year old Weber smoker is built like a tank. Much higher quality than other bullet smokers I've seen/looked at

Old 08-27-2015, 03:11 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
My Kenmore BBQ lasted me 11 years. 2 years ago my neighbor was getting rid of their Charm glow stainless steel 3 burner BBQ. I asked what was wrong and they said the burners needed replacing. I cleaned the grill very well, replaced the burners and have had it 2 years. Unfortunately the inside is starting to rot out. I plan to buy a new one next year. My mom has had her weber grill for about 13 years, It still looks like new because she keeps it in the garage and plus she is compulsive cleaner when it comes to her weber.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Weber Genesis sets the standard for simplicity, longevity and budget. Quick monkeying around with these odd ball brands and just get it done right.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:45 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I got an indoor grill with a vent hood.... But also cost a lot more....

Old 08-27-2015, 06:05 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Do these new(er) grills with the little 'tents' over the burners give the same flavor as the old(er) ones with the lava rocks?

I have an old Sunbeam with the rocks that I really like, I've had it since I picked it up off the side of the road 15 or 20 years ago (somebody was throwing it away) but I think I may have to replace it at some point. I have no problem with replacing the burner (I've lost track of how many times I've done that) but the side burner knob no longer works, and the racks are now somewhat the worse for wear...and I doubt that replacements are (easily) available.

It's been a long time since I've seen a grill available with lava rocks, I'd really rather get one of those, but...

ETA:

I use my grill year round, even in the middle of Winter (unless the temp is so far below zero that it's useless), usually 3-4 times a week (or more), so I really need something that is going to be durable.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:04 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Do these new(er) grills with the little 'tents' over the burners give the same flavor as the old(er) ones with the lava rocks?

I have an old Sunbeam with the rocks that I really like, I've had it since I picked it up off the side of the road 15 or 20 years ago (somebody was throwing it away) but I think I may have to replace it at some point. I have no problem with replacing the burner (I've lost track of how many times I've done that) but the side burner knob no longer works, and the racks are now somewhat the worse for wear...and I doubt that replacements are (easily) available.

It's been a long time since I've seen a grill available with lava rocks, I'd really rather get one of those, but...

ETA:

I use my grill year round, even in the middle of Winter (unless the temp is so far below zero that it's useless), usually 3-4 times a week (or more), so I really need something that is going to be durable.
Short answer- yes. The drippings fall from the food, vaporize and help flavor the food. Additionally it forms a nice carbon coating which also smoke a bit. You don't have to replace rocks or anything. In fact I rarely clean the flavor bars. I just fire it up, let the grill get to 450 or so for a bit, scrub the grates and go.

I also use the grill year round, even my charcoal smoker and grill. I like to smoke my 'cold smoke' meats when it's zero or below out here. Keeps the temps down in the smoker.

BTW- my mom had one of the Sunbeams with the glass window on the hood, little cedar slat deck in front.. It was a nice little unit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products