U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:50 AM

8,796 posts, read 5,879,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If the calls are from out of the USA the DNC does you no good. OP have you caller ID to screen your calls. That would help tremendously. Eventually they'll give up.
Yes, but ultimately, the problem is that they use a different phone number almost each time, I have already blocked five (my blocking limit) of the numbers they call in on. As I learn each new number it gets marked in my contact list so I can ignore it - but those go to voice mail which is still a PITA. This has been going on for months now, and I am really annoyed that people/companies are permitted to get away with this behavior.

I am tempted to set up a web site where people can list companies like this, and then random people can join in to call them - just to tie up their phone lines. Unfortunately, "innocent" people would be targeted too by internet trolls and other lowlifes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 12:12 PM

19,133 posts, read 19,978,923 times
^^ I think there are a few web sites like that. I generally Google the phone number that called and it's amazing what shows up.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:33 PM

9,574 posts, read 12,516,973 times
Can you be a bit more specific about the nature of the calls? Different types of calls may have completely different ways of handling them and/or agencies that will intervene.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:51 PM

40,074 posts, read 48,974,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
^^ I think there are a few web sites like that. I generally Google the phone number that called and it's amazing what shows up.
^^^This. I google phone numbers all the time and you'd be surprised how many web sites come up with those scam numbers.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:29 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,410,349 times
We always google the number also before reporting it. Another thing I wanted to mention is "spam text" as we had that problem and I learned that we could forward the spam message to "7726" and that stopped them pretty quick and no more harassment. The thing that annoys me is that I am very careful who gets my phone number and I still get the calls but they claim the computers just dial random numbers hoping that you will answer which lets them know it is a live phone and then they sell it to other agencies.

What ever happened to integrity? Everything is for sale now.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:08 PM

8,796 posts, read 5,879,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Can you be a bit more specific about the nature of the calls? Different types of calls may have completely different ways of handling them and/or agencies that will intervene.
No, I cannot. I have posted as much as there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or