U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:19 PM

8,796 posts, read 5,879,590 times

Advertisements

I actually couldn't find any other place to post this... With all the bickering on this site about Government and Politicians, you would thing there'd actually be Sub-Forums devoted to government offices and departments - but there are not.

Anyway...

I have been getting annoying calls from some organization who is trying to "serve" someone I do not know, but that someone gave them my cell telephone number.

I have asked them two or three times to stop calling me, but of course they ignore it.

Does anyone have any positive results contacting the FCC and trying to get them to step on this organization and have them leave me be?

I am going to call the FCC directly on Monday and try to give them the times and dates that I have asked them to stop, along with the times and dates and numbers from which they call.

I will also contact the state consumer protection agency - if there is one, and if not I will contact the state attorney and see if there is any help they can offer.

Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 08:04 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
Send them a certified cease and desist letter, after their receipt of that any calls would probably be considered harassment and subject to a lawsuit.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:42 PM

5,224 posts, read 13,632,922 times
Ask who is their supervisor, get their phone number, and call them!

Old 08-30-2015, 03:43 PM

11,617 posts, read 20,774,393 times
This doesn't belong in the shopping thread but calls threatening to serve you are scams

Old 08-30-2015, 03:59 PM

To all above, all I have is the phone number delivered by caller ID. No company name or other information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
This doesn't belong in the shopping thread but calls threatening to serve you are scams
Yes, I have read this, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what the scam is... It's not like I am going to suddenly lose my mind and send money to someone who is annoying me - especially when they are don't even have my name.

Edit: So, I searched and found this article. Maybe posting it will help someone else. In any case I will be heading to the SC Consumer Affairs Department to see what they have to say tomorrow. I doubt if it will be helpful and I will just have to keep applying blocks to these numbers.

7 ways to stop debt collection scammers.

If they call again from yet another number, I think I might take this advice...

Strategy #7: Have fun with it. These kinds of calls can be scary and stressful. Nicolette commented on our blog, “I have nightmares and dread when the phone rings. I just wish he would stop calling.” But if you’ve figured out it’s a scam then maybe you can try to make their lives miserable. One of my friends told me that when he gets harassing collection calls he just starts “messing with the caller,” asking them what they’re wearing or finding other ways to “creep them out.” A commenter on our blog who said he worked briefly for one of these firms suggests “Ask them if you are American, then tell me few lines of our national anthem.” I’ve also heard from consumers who put the collectors on hold and don’t come back, blow whistles or air horns into the phone, or play obnoxious music at full volume. (I am not suggesting these methods for avoiding legitimate collection calls, of course.)

One of our readers, going by the name 2Creative, shared some “creative” ways to deal with these scammers in his comment on one of our previous stories. One of them:
Ask if they are related to the deceased (insert your name here as the “deceased”) or just a family friend, because “the viewing of the body (is) for family only, but the memorial service is open to everyone.” Ask if they would like directions to the funeral.

He says, “I started getting these calls about a year ago. (Using creative tactics) they do stop calling me for about 6 months…so the way I figure it, a little time out of my day to give them back a taste of their own medicine is worth it for 6 months of peace and quiet.”
Hear more in an interview with attorney William Howard about how these scams work and what to do to protect yourself. It includes a recording of an actual call made by one of these scammers to a consumer. Listen online here, download the podcast here, or listen on iTunes.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-30-2015 at 04:35 PM..

Old 08-30-2015, 04:41 PM

11,617 posts, read 20,774,393 times
Sigh... just don't answer the phone, they will not call again.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Sigh... just don't answer the phone, they will not call again.
Great idea, I'll never answer my phone again. So much for business calls/job offers and contacts from family and friends - who needs all that.

But more importantly. I have a phone so I can use it. I am not going to stop using it because some clowns have my phone number. Is that really what you would do?

Old 08-30-2015, 06:14 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,410,349 times
Are you on the National No Call Registry? If not, get on there and report them. We have great luck getting them stopped when we reported them. Spammers! Here is the link: https://www.donotcall.gov/

Old 08-30-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Are you on the National No Call Registry? If not, get on there and report them. We have great luck getting them stopped when we reported them. Spammers! Here is the link: https://www.donotcall.gov/
Thanks, Yes, already listed.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:32 AM

40,074 posts, read 48,974,742 times
If the calls are from out of the USA the DNC does you no good. OP have you caller ID to screen your calls. That would help tremendously. Eventually they'll give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or