Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 12:13 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

I realize that a majority of people are fine with buying perfumed laundry products, but there are some of us who simply cannot deal with the excessive odors of such products.

Recently I purchased a box of Bounce dryer sheets that claimed to be perfume free. Since that aisle of the store REEKS of perfume, I had to wait to get it home before I discovered that it smelled so strongly that we had to triple bag it and leave it outside.

This is not the first time I have had "perfume free" laundry products smell strongly. My question is, am I just unlucky or is this a larger problem? Have you run across any product claiming unscented that is in fact scented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 12:24 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
No, I haven't run into that problem. I don't use dryer sheets or fabric softener, anyway, but I prefer unscented detergents. I don't want any residual fragrance competing with any cologne or scented lotion I might be using.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:58 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
OP have you ever tried 20 Mule Team Borax Soap, it's unscented.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:31 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP have you ever tried 20 Mule Team Borax Soap, it's unscented.
Yes. OK stuff. The Tide "free and clear" works well in our HE washer and doesn't seem to be a problem like the dryer sheets often are. Hand washing isn't generally as much of an issue as I can leave the soap bars out of the box in a shed to both harden them (makes them last longer) and remove excess scent. You did remind me I need to find more Boraxo. Haven't been doing greasy work in a bit and it dropped off my radar. Thanks.

Someone suggested putting liquid fabric softener on a thin sponge and using that in the dryer. I'm pondering that. I think it is probably safe to do, but want to verify it somehow. It is a clever idea anyway.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:25 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I have NO idea if it works but supposedly - wadded aluminum foil balls work as static sheets in the dryer - worth it in your case.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:17 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Am very sensitive to chemical-based fragrances in products. I buy liquid detergent and fabric softener that contain no dyes/perfumes and have no problems with them.

I tried the bounce fabric softener sheets a long time ago that claimed to be fragrance-free, but like the OP, they were terrible!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:03 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,306 times
I use All Free and Clear detergent and Ultra Downy Free and Gentle Liquid Fabric Softener (sometimes I use the Downy Ball with it.)

I hate dryer sheets, anyway. They don't soften very well and have a sickly sweet fragrance.

Not only does the perfume in most detergents and fabric softeners irritate my nasal allergies, but it irritates my skin, too.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:13 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Dryer sheets can be VERY strong. When we receive our weekly shipment of toted mdse in our store we can often tell which ones of the hundred or so plastic totes contain packages of dryer sheets because the smell coming from them is so overpowering.So even though your sheets were manufactured perfume free, by the time they have traveled hundreds of miles in a tote with scented sheets they have probably absorbed quite a bit a fragrance anyway.
Have you tried vinegar? Using Vinegar as Fabric Softener Review – Does it Work? | Green Idea Reviews

-also I noticed some time ago that most dryer sheets no longer claim to reduce static so I don't know what the point to them is anymore, other than making clothes smell 'pretty'

Old 09-15-2015, 12:19 AM

82 posts, read 70,669 times
I have good luck with Arm & Hammer perfume/fragrant free liquid laundry soap.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:43 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Washing soda + Borax + Grated Fels Naptha soap=non smelly laundry, cheap and clean.

Fels Naptha soap must be used in hot water so for cold water I use a little bit of Woolite instead.

No dryer sheets ever. They are unnecessary and the smell can aggravate allergies and asthma and even cause neurological problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products