U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:58 PM

50 posts, read 32,909 times

Advertisements

Living in FL which is supposedly the fraud capital in the US.

Was checking my online bank account and saw a bogus check for over 300.00 written to a Home Depot in my area. Someone local had taken my checking account number and made bogus checks and used a non profit name and organization as the address on the check. I was livid and even the PNC manager was amazed it cleared through them.

Called the local police. They were not helpful. A royal pain to cancel the account and order checks etc. I also heard from PNC that they tried to pass another check which tney declined. Still not sure how this all happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 07:17 PM

15,237 posts, read 20,182,538 times
I posted how my walmart.com account was hacked last year. I closed out that account, but last week I saw something that I really wanted so I opened another account. And, wouldnt you know, I went there today and saw that someone had hacked into my new account, changing my name/address/phone and putting 2 items in my shopping cart. (If the hacker also changes the email address, you dont get an email notice of the changes.)

This is exactly what happened last year, when 2 computers were put into my walmart.com shopping cart. The hacker does that, hoping/thinking that you wont notice it when you place a subsequent order.

So I closed out my walmart.com account again and wont open another walmart.com order ever.

This is a warning to anyone who has online accounts: double-check your shopping carts regularly. This has happened to me with several other online accounts, as well: Home Shopping Network, J C Penney and Buy It Now. But only walmart.com seems not to care about hacking.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:40 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,430,824 times
Weird that those things keep happening to you!

I know of no one - myself included - who routinely has things sitting in their cart on several shopping sites.
And I have been shopping online since the beginning...

Old 09-27-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Weird that those things keep happening to you!
I know of no one - myself included - who routinely has things sitting in their cart on several shopping sites.
And I have been shopping online since the beginning...

Well, I'm not lying or even exaggerating. Do you have a walmart.com account? If not, try opening one and see if someone hacks into it and puts merchandise in your shopping cart. I'm convinced that someone who works for walmart.com was in on both hackings.

I have accounts on a lot of sites too -- I'm partially disabled from a stroke and can not shop in brick-and-mortar stores -- and I've had this problem with those four sites.

Last edited by TFW46; 09-27-2015 at 09:20 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 05:31 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,039,285 times
I've had credit cards compromised at least a half dozen times over the last decade. They always call and ask if I made such and such a charge. I say no and they say "We didn't think so, we'll be sending you a new card".

I always ask why they didn't think it was me. They usually decline to answer, but the last time the guy said "Walmart.com". I've never ordered online with Walmart and very rarely in a store. But apparently the credit card crooks like Walmart online....

Old 10-03-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I've had credit cards compromised at least a half dozen times over the last decade. They always call and ask if I made such and such a charge. I say no and they say "We didn't think so, we'll be sending you a new card".

I always ask why they didn't think it was me. They usually decline to answer, but the last time the guy said "Walmart.com". I've never ordered online with Walmart and very rarely in a store. But apparently the credit card crooks like Walmart online....

Yes, the crooks definitely do like walmart.com. I truly think someone who works at walmart.com, either in IT or security, is in on the thefts. My second walmart.com account had been opened for less than a week when merchandise was added to my online shopping cart. I also think the fact that walmart.com doesnt care about credit card theft (judging from its response to both times that I reported my account name/address being changed and computers and other merchandise being added to my shopping cart) from its online store is a prime reason that so much theft occurs at the site.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:49 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,430,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Well, I'm not lying or even exaggerating. Do you have a walmart.com account? If not, try opening one and see if someone hacks into it and puts merchandise in your shopping cart. I'm convinced that someone who works for walmart.com was in on both hackings.

I have accounts on a lot of sites too -- I'm partially disabled from a stroke and can not shop in brick-and-mortar stores -- and I've had this problem with those four sites.
No one said you are lying... Just that it is weird.
And it is!

No, you could not pay me to shop at Walmart- in person or online.

Sounds like yet another reason to avoid them!

Old 10-04-2015, 07:43 AM

5,894 posts, read 13,516,299 times
We had our CC info stolen twice. First time in FL, we believe at one of those Beach stores. When we travel I check our CC charges daily and caught the charges, well over $2K. Since they were Pending, the retailer had to eat the cost. The charges were entered manually. The second time was the Target breach. In that case they had made new CC with our information. Again because we are diligent in checking we caught the charges when they were pending, about $300, but all were just under $100, which is a ploy they use to see if the card is active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products